World Cup: QF: Russia vs. Croatia, 7/7/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Does it matter if it's state run? Not really. You should read about the way these federations take tests and just ignore them. The US Olympic Committee ignored at least 100 positive doping tests and kept the documentation of guys like Carl Lewis getting caught doping.

When was the last time a notable footballer was exposed as a doper? Its been ages. Meanwhile there's been stories about Juve doping, Operation Puerto, you guys have to be really naive to think all your heroes are going out there clean as a sheet just to play football like when they were kids.

All that being said, I think there are good reasons not to expose doping and I really don't care. When sports become like cycling and the UFC, that's it, doesn't matter how fun they are. It's basically over.

Maradona at the '94 WC.

And yes, it's well known Lewis and others were protected by USOC/track & field federation. Just like IAAF protected major athletes under whathisname.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
First half was rubbish. The two man midfield with Modric and Rakitic wasn't working as they weren't free enough to go forward and noone was there to help them win balls.

Second half, much better, should've ended the game after the Perisic chance and the way Croatia controlled play with Modric and Rakitic more free, first with Kramaric involved in play more and then with Brozovic coming on.

Russia was fighting, but no offense, their strategy was Akinfeev hoofing the ball at Dzyuba in the 2nd half.

If Vrsaljko isn't fit for the England game... Well, that's a problem. While he's somewhat limited offensively, his defensive ability is what makes him a top-5 RB in Europe.

I'm happy though. :) :) :)

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
If you want to see a disgrace of a penalty, go watch Zaza kick against Germany in the EURO. Funniest I've ever seen.

giphy.gif

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Ok bud, we get it you don’t like Croatia.

We were lucky in 98’ and now.

Croatia - all luck, no skill.

:facepalm:

Did I say that?

Fact: they toyed with Germany.
Fact: they parked the bus against Romania after Suker scored on a PK.

You don't have to be so defensive. IMO the Modric generation is better than Suker generation, but that's surely debatable.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Does it matter if it's state run? Not really. You should read about the way these federations take tests and just ignore them. The US Olympic Committee ignored at least 100 positive doping tests and kept the documentation of guys like Carl Lewis getting caught doping.

When was the last time a notable footballer was exposed as a doper? Its been ages. Meanwhile there's been stories about Juve doping, Operation Puerto, you guys have to be really naive to think all your heroes are going out there clean as a sheet just to play football like when they were kids.

All that being said, I think there are good reasons not to expose doping and I really don't care. When sports become like cycling and the UFC, that's it, doesn't matter how fun they are. It's basically over.
I don't know about notable but river plate just got hit with a scandle involving multiple players. Some were/are considered big prospects.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
How ? 1998. team toyed with Germany and this team needed SO to beat solid yet nothing special teams like Denmark and Russia. 1998. team would have been European champion in 1996. if not for obvious bias ref in quarters against Germans (1:2). They also won U21 World Cup in Chile in 1987.
Those are just their player qualities/achivements, yet they were much more loveable among fans and had way more patriotic charge than these "we have more luck than average cat lifes" guys.

Please, not listening to enough Serbian music is why we wrecked you in 96, and you needed a sending off to beat us in 98 :naughty:

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't know about notable but river plate just got hit with a scandle involving multiple players. Some were/are considered big prospects.

I remember that, and I also remember it got ignored when those players were transferred.

People should look up microdosing. If any individual has a good doctor they can't get caught. It's a new era and most everyone is doing something, the difference with Russia is, it seems they have a team/government program, which is always easy to find out about. Too many people have to know about it and not say anything.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Did I say that?

Fact: they toyed with Germany.
Fact: they parked the bus against Romania after Suker scored on a PK.

You don't have to be so defensive. IMO the Modric generation is better than Suker generation, but that's surely debatable.

Fact: Germany had 10 men for 50+ minutes so they should have toyed with them given the quality of their side. I just wonder if people actually recall that. Croatia then went onto score their 3 goals after that.

Romania - Rd. Of 16, Suker scored, I think at the very end of the 1st half. Dunno if they really parked the bus but for some reason I recall the game being fairly non descript. Not one of the best games of that tourney.

I agree with their plan today. It was too defensive. Modric and Rakitic sat too deep. They should have played higher and forced the issue on the Russians. They gave them too much respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Moose

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Apparently no one can go to hockey and football finals at the same time. Even Germans and Russians. Maybe Canada will try in 2022?:D

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk

Initial claim ignores the fact that Rodchenkov revoked his accusations in court. That's why Russians were returned their medals and still hold number 1 spot in Sochi Olympics. Lying in court is pretty dangerous game and he didn't dare to play it. Athletes that never failed a test were banned from the next Winter Olympics including South Korean athlete competing for Russia. How Rodchenkov did in court came only well after the Seoul Olympics but wasn't reported in the Western media. Basically "state sponsored doping program" looks like a bogus at this point.

If someone attempts to play trust-don't trust game then let's not hide behind whataboutism. Dr Mark Bonar of UK getting cought recently and how many such doctors are out there?! UK's out of nowhere success in London Olympics could raise some eyebrows, they performed like never before out-medalling Russia, a country with quite bigger population, and these days they are outperforming China too, standing only behind US. It cannot be explained by "crowd support" as we are mainly talking about power oriented sports, not game sports like soccer. And how can we forget pretty big number of US top names testing positive. So yeah lets not hold Russians to some special/higher standards here.

Last edited:

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Fact: Germany had 10 men for 50+ minutes so they should have toyed with them given the quality of their side. I just wonder if people actually recall that. Croatia then went onto score their 3 goals after that.

Romania - Rd. Of 16, Suker scored, I think at the very end of the 1st half. Dunno if they really parked the bus but for some reason I recall the game being fairly non descript. Not one of the best games of that tourney.

I agree with their plan today. It was too defensive. Modric and Rakitic sat too deep. They should have played higher and forced the issue on the Russians. They gave them too much respect.

I agree with the last part. IMO Modric and the rest have too much talent compared to the Russia and Denmark to leave it all to luck at the end. They should have won it fair and square well before that.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I completely agree that many teams and players probably dope. I’m not ignorant in that. Sure, these are elite athletes, but the bounce back from injuries and sheer physiques that some have at their late 30s is crazy.

But I do think Russia is a bit more blatant about it with their state sponsored program.

I know FIFA doesn’t care, but I would be interested in seeing what is actually done to try and test.

And yes, a lot of track athletes have some questions about them.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I agree with the last part. IMO Modric and the rest have too much talent compared to the Russia and Denmark to leave it all to luck at the end. They should have won it fair and square well before that.

They tend to do that. Play to the level of their opposition.

They were inches away when Perisic hit the post, but yes, should be decisive enough to win it in 90’.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad