World Cup: QF: Russia vs. Croatia, 7/7/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I must say that while the crowds helped, some of these Russian players who weren’t worth a whole lot in Europa or much of anything in Europe over the last three or four years, now have energy and stamina they’ve never had before. I guess playing in front of the home crowd must really get the competitive edge going.

Well that seems pretty baseless unless you know they had previously done badly because of bad stamina. I suspect they mostly didn't do very well because they're limited players of whom some have motivational issues in the daily grind of club football. I don't doubt their motivation in this tournament and other than they've looked like a limited side doing their best to represent their country well in a home World Cup.

Some people must be unhappy that Russia didn't get any dubious refereeing decisions in their favor, so they can't moan about how the tournament is fixed that way.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Yeah that was pretty shameful. I think Belgium has the defense to hold off France's speed. Who knows though? Should be a great match.
You mean the Belgian defense that completely folded against Brazil? I have Belgium winning but I don't think it'll be the defense that secures it. Gotta hope for a stronger performance from them.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
I don't get this. I think PK's are a perfect way. The teams have 2 hours and if they can't do anything then this makes sense. PK's are incredibly hard for players and keepers. As someone who's taken penalties during my life, there's nothing more dreadful and skilled then getting up there and taking it.

It is a test of mental fortitude rather than football skill, as the previous 120 minutes. Great players miss penalties in crucial moments, and mediocre ones scores. I am not suggesting a different way, I don't think it is possible. Obviously something like OT in playoffs hockey is more fair, but completely unfeasible in football.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Some people must be unhappy that Russia didn't get any dubious refereeing decisions in their favor, so they can't moan about how the tournament is fixed that way.
The way I see it too.
People have been trying to find shady stuff all tournament, but in the end Russia showed heart and passion, something a lot of other nations simply missed.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
It is a test of mental fortitude rather than football skill, as the previous 120 minutes. Great players miss penalties in crucial moments, and mediocre ones scores. I am not suggesting a different way, I don't think it is possible. Obviously something like OT in playoffs hockey is more fair, but completely unfeasible in football.
I agree. I can go with a working alternative of course. Because yes, penalties are a lot more luck and mental strength than actual skill. But this is what we have and I don't think it's the worse settlement in the world.

Reactions: The Moose

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Keep Modric quiet and I think England go through. Played earlier (much easier to sleep when you play early). 30 mins less and without seeing any stats I´m assuming their game against Sweden was physically less taxing (certainly mentally).

Croatia got a better team though.

Yeah, I think England get through. Still should be a good game though.

Tough to come out on short rest after playing an extra hour plus two penalty shootouts.

It also takes an emotional toll on the players.

Mentally and physically draining.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Now the result of 1998. generation is in serious jeopardy.

This team is better, which fits one of my criteria for a hopeful winner. I do ultimately prefer that a team that wins does so with their best ever team and best ever player. Belgium-Croatia would be nice in that regard, but I'm sure it will be France vs. Croatia.

Reactions: gary69

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
England beating France in the final would drive Evilo into farting in everyone's general direction. Which would be nice.
Your direction is easy, but I don't care how beats France really. Hopefully nobody does.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Yeah, I think England get through. Still should be a good game though.

Tough to come out on short rest after playing an extra hour plus two penalty shootouts.

It also takes an emotional toll on the players.

Mentally and physically draining.
Or it motivates them to carry through until the end. They'll also have a few days break in between the games to rest up and heal. We'll see the effect when it happens, though.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Dont really follow soccer so much but did think Russia would win.
To me it's looking like France will win cup
Incredible though that a country of over 4m ppl (Croatia) beats a country of over 144 m ppl (Russia) or a country of over 11m ppl(Belgium) beats a country of over 207m ppl.(Brésil)
Unbelievable

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
This team is better, .

How ? 1998. team toyed with Germany and this team needed SO to beat solid yet nothing special teams like Denmark and Russia. 1998. team would have been European champion in 1996. if not for obvious bias ref in quarters against Germans (1:2). They also won U21 World Cup in Chile in 1987.
Those are just their player qualities/achivements, yet they were much more loveable among fans and had way more patriotic charge than these "we have more luck than average cat lifes" guys.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Well that seems pretty baseless unless you know they had previously done badly because of bad stamina. I suspect they mostly didn't do very well because they're limited players of whom some have motivational issues in the daily grind of club football. I don't doubt their motivation in this tournament and other than they've looked like a limited side doing their best to represent their country well in a home World Cup.

They’re limited players who have over performed. I don’t know why. I know the crowds. But I also have no problem saying that there always will be some suspicions about a country who has a known doping program that has been banned from the Olympics.

They did a great job, but some of the players were much better than they ever have been. All I’m asking and wondering is if it is just down to the fan support, or if anyone else wonders if some of the suspicions are more than just rumor mongering. I mean, when their best player has to come out and deny his dads statements that he was doping, it’s a bit suspicious. In the end, it doesn’t really matter, but they’ve over performed by a large margin that has to raise some suspicions. Russia is not this good.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
You mean the Belgian defense that completely folded against Brazil? I have Belgium winning but I don't think it'll be the defense that secures it. Gotta hope for a stronger performance from them.
Yeah true. But I think France's offensive style matches up better against Belgium's defense. I don't know. I could be talking out of my ass come game day but I just get that sense that they're gonna have issues against Belgium.

Reactions: mw2noobbuster

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
How ? 1998. team toyed with Germany and this team needed SO to beat solid yet nothing special teams like Denmark and Russia. 1998. team would have been European champion in 1996. if not for obvious bias ref in quarters against Germans (1:2). They also won U21 World Cup in Chile in 1987.
Those are just their player qualities/achivements, yet they were much more loveable among fans and had way more patriotic charge than these "we have more luck than average cat lifes" guys.

1998 team lost in group stage. This Croatia on the other hand did not. In 1996 they lost to an amazing team, and there was no ref bias really, Bilic should have been given a red card.

Common sense really. I don't care about patriotism, this is a team with more quality, with more individual players who have won huge trophies as the key player on their team. I deal in facts and not blind patriotism, which is one of the worst things on the planet.

Reactions: cgf

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They’re limited players who have over performed. I don’t know why. I know the crowds. But I also have no problem saying that there always will be some suspicions about a country who has a known doping program that has been banned from the Olympics.

They did a great job, but some of the players were much better than they ever have been. All I’m asking and wondering is if it is just down to the fan support, or if anyone else wonders if some of the suspicions are more than just rumor mongering. I mean, when their best player has to come out and deny his dads statements that he was doping, it’s a bit suspicious. In the end, it doesn’t really matter, but they’ve over performed by a large margin that has to raise some suspicions. Russia is not this good.
Carl Lewis doped. And he's no russian.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad