World Cup: QF: Russia vs. Croatia, 7/7/2018

Discussion in 'Soccer' started by Live in the Now, Jul 1, 2018.

?

Who advances?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2018.
  1. Croatia

70.5%
  2. Russia

29.5%
  1. N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s Registered User

I can’t understand, with all the young talent that is filtering around Europe, why guys like Renato Augusto and Paulinho and others not only make the roster, but play. They have the talent in house but their selections seem strange.

2. koyvoo

koyvoo For Badgeholders Only

I believe Carlos Alberto Pereira was the first one who sacrilegiously uttered- “#%£¥ joga bonito!” Lol

Eisen likes this.
  3. Eisen

Eisen Registered User

I can't tell. I have little opportunity to watch the Brazilian league, only some snippets late night of important games and not even regularly. I see more of the J-League...

4. koyvoo

koyvoo For Badgeholders Only

I mean, you’re always going to wave that sort of depth but sometimes in can shoot you in the foot. It’s easier to make the wrong or questionable choices. It def brings more opportunities for scrutiny and second guessing if things don’t go well.

But at the final squad point, the depth of quality advantage is diminished. Especially as the gaps between tiers of quality are getting smaller and smaller. Brazil might have 125 legit top quality choices compared to another countries 30 choices. But it matters less when it’s whittled down to a 23 man squad.

Eisen likes this.
  5. RandV

RandV It's a wolf v2.0

Home Page:
    Yeah the way I look at it with this being Russia as the host country and all the corruption that surrounds FIFA the random group seedings look highly suspect (I'm sure it's been talked about to death but I've only recently tuned in). But after that getting to the elimination games full credit to the team for pulling off an upset win and almost another in front of the home crowd.

6. N o o d l e s

N o o d l e s Registered User

Re: Russia, I said that Spain team wasn’t as great as everyone made it out to be. I was shocked some people had them winning but the entire thing. Very top heavy. I asked who was going to score the goals. Costa is very volatile and inconsistent. On top of that, they had a coaching change on the eve of the tournament. Add that to the home support Russia got and it shouldn’t be surprising.

7. Eisen

Eisen Registered User

And Dunga was his captain was in 94

Stray Wasp and koyvoo like this.