OT: PyeongChang 2018 Olympics

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Geesh....came to read about the Olympics, not partake in a political discussion. Perhaps there should be a separate thread for this topic? Mods ???

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Two separate issues are getting mixed here.

Conditions sound deplorable.
Not our business whether a group of people in another country eat dog.

Everything you ever wanted to know:
Dog meat consumption in South Korea - Wikipedia

Meanwhile this is a good game.

The game is good but everytime I watch the US women hockey, or soccer team I'm left with the impression what DB's they seem. Constant whining, complaining, "give us a penalty shot, give it to us NOW!!!, give us a PP, we demand it now!!!!" Anybody that remembers that Canada US Soccer match is sickened by this tactical bs the US plays where they intimidate the officials into calls.

plus that they tried to scrum the puck into the net about 4 times tonight. I missed where this was rugby. lol that they can't do that either anyway.

Moment of the night was the Canadian goalie trash talking the Us penalty shot taker. loved that, must do again.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Is Sarah Nurse Darnels other sister
Edit: Nope she is her cousin though. What a hockey family

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I didnt know it was possible to kick, with your foot never leaving the ice, while your putting your weight on the skate you kick with to stop.
Never mind the puck actually caroming off her right skate and flukily hitting her left skate and in. But if you slow it down to a few hundredths of a second and assign her some superhuman abilities...we have no goal!!

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
The Lamieroux sisters are so dirty. If one of them had a kid with Matt Tkachuck, the kid would probably resemble Brad Marchand.:sarcasm:

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Is Sarah Nurse Darnels other sister
Edit: Nope she is her cousin though. What a hockey family

I was wondering the same but in anycase I just assumed she was good. Seen all of them (I think) now. But yeah, like a Sports royal family. Any younger Nurses around? Just draft them, bound to be good. ;)

What a filthy snipe. That was one Nuge would be proud of. In the Womens game (no knock intended) that had to be demoralizing and fitting that it was the winner. US goalie will have nightmares about that one, not because it was a bad goal to give up, but because if a player is going to make a shot that good you're at her mercy.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Bloemen with the gold for Canada in the 10,000. He’s definitely my favourite story so far in the Olympics - rejected by the Dutch and double medalist for Canada.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bloemen with the gold for Canada in the 10,000. He’s definitely my favourite story so far in the Olympics - rejected by the Dutch and double medalist for Canada.

Any backdrop to the story? I thought he had family here that sponsored his immigration. Was he not accepted on the Dutch Oly team or something?

In anycase really enjoyed seeing him in the 5K silver medal, I missed this latest event. Good for him. Really dialing it in. What an Olympics for him.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Any backdrop to the story? I thought he had family here that sponsored his immigration. Was he not accepted on the Dutch Oly team or something?

In anycase really enjoyed seeing him in the 5K silver medal, I missed this latest event. Good for him. Really dialing it in. What an Olympics for him.

The Dutch team jerked Bloemen around for a few years with inconsistent support, coaching, and funding. With all their talent I guess they considered him a bubble guy. Bloemen's father is Canadian so he reached out to Speed Skating Canada and they provided the coaching and funding he desired. It has turned out to be a great gamble for both parties.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The Dutch team jerked Bloemen around for a few years with inconsistent support, coaching, and funding. With all their talent I guess they considered him a bubble guy. Bloemen's father is Canadian so he reached out to Speed Skating Canada and they provided the coaching and funding he desired. It has turned out to be a great gamble for both parties.

Thanks man, nice story for Canada, not so much for the Dutch, haha. Given though that they are a hotbed in skating I guess its kind of like the hockey thing reversed. Not good enough for Canada hockey player can be good enough to play for almost any other nation in Olympics.

Canada is really being efficient as well in the get to the podium program. Certainly athletes that are medal caliber are being identified. Gotten to the point where Canada is certainly a medal power at Winter Olympics.

At this point one wonders if its possible that Canada finishes in top 3 countries in medals or better. Would be an astounding accomplishment for a road Olympics.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Canadian Mens hockey 5-1W over Swiss. Not much of a test but clear that there will be more parity in the tournament. I did watch a bit of the game. Always liked Wolski, Roy, Bourque. These are good selections and consummate pros. They all factored primarily today. Scrivens looks a lot better when he isn't facing NHL caliber shots.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Updated Medal Standings, sole possession of 3rd overall

upload_2018-2-15_7-54-17.png

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Scoring race old-Oilers/Oilers familiars (I probably forgot some)

Omark 0 G 3 A
Roy 0 G 3 A
Lander 1 G 0 A
Hartikainen 0 G 1 A
Radunske 0 G 1 A
Brule 0 G 0 A
Klinkhammer 0 G 0 A
Arcobello 0 G 0 A
Horak 0 G 0 A
Plante 0 G 0 A
Thoreson 0 G 0 A
Pettersson 0 G 0 A

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

Omark 0 G 3 A
Roy 0 G 3 A
Lander 1 G 0 A
Hartikainen 0 G 1 A
Brule 0 G 0 A
Klinkhammer 0 G 0 A
Arcobello 0 G 0 A
Horak 0 G 0 A
Plante 0 G 0 A
Radunske 0 G 0 A
I thought Radunske got an assist in the game against the Czechs today.

Reactions: LaGu

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Watching the reply of the Men's hockey game... I find it hard to believe there couldn't be room on the Oilers dreadful bottom 6 for guys with heart like Bourque or Lapierre...

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines
Watching the reply of the Men's hockey game... I find it hard to believe there couldn't be room on the Oilers dreadful bottom 6 for guys with heart like Bourque or Lapierre...

It'll be interesting to see how many of the guys over there get offered contracts or PTO's around the league. It's a golden opportunity for them in more ways than one.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think it would be pretty short sighted to sign anyone from these Olympics based on how they play. They're playing the same competition that they were likely playing in their Euro leagues, so it shouldn't be a surprise who plays well and who doesn't. Plus there's likely going to be a lot of adrenaline flowing so some players will probably play above their heads. Not to mention chances are someone's just gonna happen to get hot over the next two weeks and put up bigger numbers than would be expected.

Point is I don't think this tournament should mean much for most of the guys in terms of NHL aspirations. But undoubtedly someone will get a contract out of it.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

Omark 0 G 3 A
Roy 0 G 3 A
Lander 1 G 0 A
Hartikainen 0 G 1 A
Radunske 0 G 1 A
Brule 0 G 0 A
Klinkhammer 0 G 0 A
Arcobello 0 G 0 A
Horak 0 G 0 A
Plante 0 G 0 A

Patrick Thoreson Norway 0-0-0
Freddie Pettersson (drafted-never played) Sweden 0-0-0