OT: PyeongChang 2018 Olympics

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
No thread?
Thread.

This is the first time I've seen mixed curling, and it's...odd. I don't understand why you'd sweep for your own thrown rock, or why mixed needs to be a thing, but...looks fun.

Our mens speedskaters crapped the bed on their first go-around.

The ski jumpers did some good jumping.

Will update with other less-than-interesting timbits, er tidbits.

Go Canada!

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
No thread?
Thread.

This is the first time I've seen mixed curling, and it's...odd. I don't understand why you'd sweep for your own thrown rock, or why mixed needs to be a thing, but...looks fun.

Our mens speedskaters crapped the bed on their first go-around.

The ski jumpers did some good jumping.

Will update with other less-than-interesting timbits, er tidbits.

Go Canada!
It’s not mixed curling. It’s mixed doubles curling. Completely different game. Mixed curling has four players per team like normal. Mixed doubles is kind of like speed curling. Two players per team. You have to think quickly and act quickly as you only have 22 minutes to play your 8 ends. You need to be in better shape because you need to jump up from throwing your rock and then catch up to it to sweep.

I’ve enjoyed watching this event as I’d never heard of it up until a couple days ago. In a way, it kind of reminds me of the rugby 7’s competition from the last summer olympics. A new and fun updated take on a established sport I haven’t paid much attention to in years.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
The Opening Ceremonies were outstanding. Albeit NBC cut out a lot and have a brutal habit with talking over music. I keep thinking just shut up and let me listen to the music, singing, and such.

But visually especially they did a bang up job on this. They also pulled off the Korea unity attempt themes and this potentially being more than just an Olympics or opening ceremonies. It could be a rebirth.

The one thing I didn't like was how they had a bunch of people dressed in silly red and white costumes doing silly dance during the parade of nations. It was like watching a ring of 500 people that can't dance.

Canadian costumes were kind of odd. Big jackets like David Byrne from Talking Heads. Not sure what they were going for there, would no buy jacket. The buttons were like bonhomme as well.. not exactly fashion statement.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It’s not mixed curling. It’s mixed doubles curling. Completely different game. Mixed curling has four players per team like normal. Mixed doubles is kind of like speed curling. Two players per team. You have to think quickly and act quickly as you only have 22 minutes to play your 8 ends. You need to be in better shape because you need to jump up from throwing your rock and then catch up to it to sweep.

I’ve enjoyed watching this event as I’d never heard of it up until a couple days ago. In a way, it kind of reminds me of the rugby 7’s competition from the last summer olympics. A new and fun updated take on a established sport I haven’t paid much attention to in years.

Thanks for the explanation. It's very entertaining. No time for debating which shot to take, you can see the non-thrower grit their teeth, swallow their objection, and just go along with the thrower, well, once in a while, haha. Reminds me of a good marriage.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
The Opening Ceremonies were outstanding. Albeit NBC cut out a lot and have a brutal habit with talking over music. I keep thinking just shut up and let me listen to the music, singing, and such.

But visually especially they did a bang up job on this. They also pulled off the Korea unity attempt themes and this potentially being more than just an Olympics or opening ceremonies. It could be a rebirth.

The one thing I didn't like was how they had a bunch of people dressed in silly red and white costumes doing silly dance during the parade of nations. It was like watching a ring of 500 people that can't dance.

Canadian costumes were kind of odd. Big jackets like David Byrne from Talking Heads. Not sure what they were going for there, would no buy jacket. The buttons were like bonhomme as well.. not exactly fashion statement.

I only got to see pictures so far, but that sounds pretty cool. I like the attempt at being good neighbours. Hopefully the athletes set a good example. You'd have to think that the two nation's cultures aren't too hostile when it comes down to just being people. Might see a lot of defections after the Olympics, though.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I only got to see pictures so far, but that sounds pretty cool. I like the attempt at being good neighbours. Hopefully the athletes set a good example. You'd have to think that the two nation's cultures aren't too hostile when it comes down to just being people. Might see a lot of defections after the Olympics, though.
I recently read a story ( can’t find it now ) that said the North Korean government took a family member of every athlete they sent to the games as collateral to prevent defections.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't follow the sport closely at all, but it seems that our mens speed skaters are ALWAYS a disappointment at the olympics. Has that actually been true?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I recently read a story ( can’t find it now ) that said the North Korean government took a family member of every athlete they sent to the games as collateral to prevent defections.

I heard that each athlete has a personal chaperone chosen by the government. So they probably can't make a break for it.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
I don't follow the sport closely at all, but it seems that our mens speed skaters are ALWAYS a disappointment at the olympics. Has that actually been true?

Not necessarily. They probably got that vibe because of Jeremy Wotherspoon. He always won world championship gold and broke records consistently but never got the Olympic gold.

In general, Canada does well in short track. Hamelin and his gf have like 7 Olympic medals between the two of them. Iirc.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Canada has an impressive 45/50 points in Team Figure Skating after 5 of 8 skating events. That's good enough for a 6 pt lead over Russia.

Just noticed that Mixed Doubles Curling team made the semi-finals in first place after finishing the round-robin with a 6-1 record.

We have benefited from the addition of two newer events.

Last edited:

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
Media has been harsh on mens hockey team because of the no NHL stars thing. Yeah everyone would love to have them there but Im still pretty excited for the hockey!

Good luck to all our athletes in all events :thumbu:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I find the Winter Olympics boring except for hockey and short track skating.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I find the Winter Olympics boring except for hockey and short track skating.
They added the snow board cross (I think that’s what it’s called) at the last Olympics. Four snowboarders racing down the mountain at the same time. Lots of contact. Lots of people getting taken out. Similar to short track speed skating. It’s become one of my favourites. I recommend watching that event too.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
A Canadian won silver in the Longtrack oval 5k. First time Canada has medaled there since 1932. The guy is originally dutch I believe.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
A silver medal in Women's Freestyle Skiing - Moguls for Justine Dufour-Lapointe. She captured gold in Sochi and her sister silver.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Canada botching numerous shots to let Norwegians back into the semi-final match. At least they'll play for gold.

Chan will finish ahead of the Russian guy, which makes gold in the team figure skating more likely.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Something the wife and I were confused about. At the medals ceremonies they are handing out Teddy Bears. Wheres the medals? The telecast didn't explain this at all either or show where the medals are. So that the audience are all probably confused where the actual medals are. So strange.

Its a bit annoying when each host tries to reinvent the wheel on so many things. The snowboard course looks more like a giant pinball game than anything else. A bit weird too.

Next stupid thing is Canada plays "OAR" in hockey. That's what it says in every schedule I saw. Took 10 minutes and googling and some luck to find out its the "Olympic Athletes from Russia" or some such thing. You need a program just to look at the program..

Would love to see some hockey but you gotta stay up to all hours to see a game live. I'd set the PVR but theres always a difference between when they say they are televising an event and when they actually are. So that anytime we watch we're seeing events we have little interest in. Drone assisted ski jumping anyone. Snow bowling?

I made that up but somebody probably checked. They got the weirdest events at the Olympics. Wonder how mass speed skating is going to work on the big oval. Indy 500 on skates? Bad idea. Those skates can carve a limb right in half.

How long before Roller derby on ice makes an appearance at the Olympics? or Red Bull crashed ice?

They invent so many Olympic sports just in the hope that you'll be watching 16hrs a day for 3 weeks or something. I already got Olympic overkill and I've seen about 4 events.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->