OT: PyeongChang 2018 Olympics

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Why drag generational politics into this thread?

Take the time to compare routines from 20-30 years ago and now, and one would be shocked by the difference in quality. One can argue the merits of rewarding a conservative, mistake-free routine vs. ambitious with mistakes, but the quality of the athletes and their routines have improved over the decades.

Of course new technics are created has nothing to do with quality of athelete or competition we kept score when we were kids no one died from losing if anything it made people want to acheive even more but know we don;t want those poor little delicate snowflakes having their feelings hurt because they did not get a trophy either,

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
3 people? Oh wow what a generation of losers. It's almost like when athletes are testing the limits of what's humanly possible they fall sometimes. The trick Kingsbury did on his first jump would've been unheard of 20 years ago. The snowboarder that just won bronze for Canada almost died on a mountain a year ago, and before that he broke his femur doing a trick that, again, would've been impossible even ten years ago. Must've been doing it for the likes.
5 of the last 18 skiers fell or dnf 27% of the field figure skating was a joke people falling steady sorry no one will convince me otherwise from 48 years of watching competitive sports that in this day and age we are seeing great icons in sports half assed efforts. over 1/4 of the supposed top skiers in the world cannot finish a mogul course with only 2 2/1/2 foot jumps lol wow so impressive

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Of course new technics are created has nothing to do with quality of athelete or competition we kept score when we were kids no one died from losing if anything it made people want to acheive even more but know we don;t want those poor little delicate snowflakes having their feelings hurt because they did not get a trophy either,

Please define this abstract term "quality of athlete" you're using. Because it doesn't apply to physical abilities or dedication to nutrition and training.

As for the other stuff, I'm not having a political discussion with you. If you want to slag on baby-boomers for making sure all their kids got trophies that's your thing.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

It's funny you say no one died from losing when athletes from this generation have died or almost died from pushing the limits of their sport further than anyone has before them.

We didn't give ourselves participation trophies. But it doesn't matter because you're clearly not going to listen to anything anyone is saying so have fun being old I guess.

Edit: This is a waste of time.

Last edited:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
It's funny you say no one died from losing when athletes from this generation have died or almost died from pushing the limits of their sport further than anyone has before them.

We didn't give ourselves participation trophies. But it doesn't matter because you're clearly not going to listen to anything anyone is saying so have fun being old I guess.
Yea it's terrible why you watching sports with scores it must end just give every team a trophy and your statement which I really don't believe consider saftey in sports is a big thing now you know hits are a big taboo theses days concussion protocal and also if more people are dying maybe they need to start scoring kids games right ? lol But hey I can understand why Oilers fans hate scores these days and competition.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Please define this abstract term "quality of athlete" you're using. Because it doesn't apply to physical abilities or dedication to nutrition and training.

As for the other stuff, I'm not having a political discussion with you. If you want to slag on baby-boomers for making sure all their kids got trophies that's your thing.
Simple solution don't respond to my comments where you want to set rules to my replies . I don't live in Frank the tanks universe and are not bound by your laws.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
3 people? Oh wow what a generation of losers. It's almost like when athletes are testing the limits of what's humanly possible they fall sometimes. The trick Kingsbury did on his first jump would've been unheard of 20 years ago. The snowboarder that just won bronze for Canada almost died on a mountain a year ago, and before that he broke his femur doing a trick that, again, would've been impossible even ten years ago. Must've been doing it for the likes.

you get a like from me... +1, or friend, or a poke, or whatever it is I'm supposed to do to agree with you.

I'm blown away by the progression in these sports, especially the newer sports that were very much "learn by yourself" when I was growing up... I mean in a sport where flipping & rotating in the air 4 times is standard... how does one even GET to that stage without killing oneself in the process. I'm just amazed at what can be accomplished.... and the only way I can fathom that it happens is by life-long dedication and PLENTY of falls while one progresses from trick-to-trick along the way... we really are seeing the first generation of life-long snowboarders (as one example) and it demonstrates what is possible through the EXACT OPPOSITE of what VainGretzky is saying.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I don't know what it is but I find myself really not caring much about the Olympics this time around. Maybe if Canada keeps kicking ass I'll pay more attention but as of right now... meh

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Why drag generational politics into this thread?

Take the time to compare routines from 20-30 years ago and now, and one would be shocked by the difference in quality. One can argue the merits of rewarding a conservative, mistake-free routine vs. ambitious with mistakes, but the quality of the athletes and their routines have improved over the decades.

Haha... my sister is a gymnast in the late 90's. Her routine in high school would have netted a medal in the Mary Lou Retton days (10 years earlier) and didn't qualify her for provincial championships. 30 years later and there are probably 9 & 10 year olds who can do the skills she did.

But I guess we are all wrong... and by the way, since you didn't notice it, that modern day Gymnast took a full step after those 3 full rotations... I guess she got too much positive reinforcement & participation medals as a child... couldn't stick the landing. ;) Also... equipment. ;)

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Bronze in the Women's Short-Track Speed Skating 500m for Kim Boutin.

That's 3 gold, 4 silver, and 3 bronze. Only one medal behind Norway, who has 11.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It speaks to Canada's dominance in curling that we can slap together two players right before the Mixed Double Curling event (albeit very talented ones) and win gold.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just a question on the telecasts. Why do they show Halfpipe on every single channel on primetime and then have the games on in the middle of the night? They're not even replaying these games from what I've been able to spot. unless I stay up to watch a hockey game at 12:30am or 5am I'm not seeing jacksquat of hockey.

Halfpipe after the first few runs looks all the same to me. I just don't get into it. I'm sure its totally different if you've skateboarded or snowboarded but other than that zero interest in it. Can't they mix up the broadcasting and show different events. Seems silly that I have 10 stations carrying Olympic events and every one is showing the same event in primetime.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
^Rep has jumped the Esks ship and is desperate for a hockey team to cheer for. Someone please help the guy out.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Just a question on the telecasts. Why do they show Halfpipe on every single channel on primetime and then have the games on in the middle of the night? They're not even replaying these games from what I've been able to spot. unless I stay up to watch a hockey game at 12:30am or 5am I'm not seeing jacksquat of hockey.

Halfpipe after the first few runs looks all the same to me. I just don't get into it. I'm sure its totally different if you've skateboarded or snowboarded but other than that zero interest in it. Can't they mix up the broadcasting and show different events. Seems silly that I have 10 stations carrying Olympic events and every one is showing the same event in primetime.
I completely missed the women’s first hockey game. I didn’t even know they had played until I saw the score later that day. I did know about the game against Finland this morning but fell asleep about a half hour before it started. I woke up in time to match the mixed doubles curling final at four. It’s probably a good thing the nhl’ers aren’t there because it would be difficult to catch their games and I can’t watch a tape delayed game when I already know the score.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW

Ugh. I thought it was just here in the US (we don’t get CBC way down here in Oregon) where it was half-pipe non-stop. The day before it was the snowboardfreestylewindy event that of course the US stations showed. The day before were all the US skaters. My wife (who’s American - I’m not) even realizes that the US stations only show US athletes -UNLESS it’s going to be a crazy wipeout or fall or missed jump. I liken it to the weirdos during the Americas got talent auditions. Either people are good or they’re complete whack-jobs. So... we get USA, USA or the falls. Of course, because of that, most people don’t know any better and just think that’s what the Olympics are, and don’t realize there are other nationalities that compete as well.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Ugh. I thought it was just here in the US (we don’t get CBC way down here in Oregon) where it was half-pipe non-stop. The day before it was the snowboardfreestylewindy event that of course the US stations showed. The day before were all the US skaters. My wife (who’s American - I’m not) even realizes that the US stations only show US athletes -UNLESS it’s going to be a crazy wipeout or fall or missed jump. I liken it to the weirdos during the Americas got talent auditions. Either people are good or they’re complete whack-jobs. So... we get USA, USA or the falls. Of course, because of that, most people don’t know any better and just think that’s what the Olympics are, and don’t realize there are other nationalities that compete as well.

That's the problem with whatever US network had the rights to the Olympics. Too much on the sports that the US excels in and little of anything else. On top of that, very little live programming. I remember watching the US-Russia game from 1980 on CBC live. I believe the American audience didn't see it until later that night.

I know that the live events are shown on the NBC's cable channels, so that might help you. It's just the question of is it worth it to subscribe to those channels if there's nothing else they broadcast that's worth watching.

Blatherblah

Feb 11, 2004
New York

If you have a cable subscription, you can watch live events on NBC's website that aren't on TV - they had the Canada/GBR curling game this morning and a bunch of other events

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
USA loses 3-2 to Slovenia in Men's hockey.

Yikes.

On a side note, I would sign Slovenian defenseman, Blaz Gregorc, purely for that name.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad