Confirmed with Link: Puustinen 2 way 775k

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I hope he acquits himself to the degree of forcing his way into the lineup coming out of camp/pre-season, and is given a good look for 10 games or so.

But I'm sure that's not gonna happen. :laugh:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Penguins developmental plan for European forwards drafted:

Years 1-3: Stay at home to develop
Year 4: WBS
Year 5: WBS
Year 6: WBS
Years 7-15: Back home to retire
You forgot: “compliment them profusely, give them a cup of coffee in the NHL and then talk about how close they are to making it, even while they sign with a league in Sweden”

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins developmental plan for European forwards drafted:

Years 1-3: Stay at home to develop
Year 4: WBS
Year 5: WBS
Year 6: WBS
Years 7-15: Back home to retire

Well most of the European forwards that Hextall and JR drafted suck, so it's not surprising they go through that progression.

JR drafted Simon, Bjorkqvist, Drozg, Olund, Hallander and Puustinen out of Europe while Hextall drafted Tankov. Not exactly an inspiring list there.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well most of the European forwards that Hextall and JR drafted suck, so it's not surprising they go through that progression.

JR drafted Simon, Bjorkqvist, Drozg, Olund, Hallander and Puustinen out of Europe while Hextall drafted Tankov. Not exactly an inspiring list there.
Riikola?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

I bet to a lot here Hallander was a "promising potential third liner who is near NHL ready" a year ago, though.

And don't be sassin' Tankov.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I bet to a lot here Hallander was a "promising potential third liner who is near NHL ready" a year ago, though.

And don't be sassin' Tankov.

To be fair, I think Hallander was a safe bet to become a NHLer. He's probably the best prospect there. He just got butthurt that he wasn't gifted a roster spot at age 22, so he took his ball and went home.

I don't think the Penguins mishandled him, Hallander was just a baby about it. If he would have stayed, he would have absolutely been on the NHL team next year. I would have understood Hallander's point more if he was like 24 and still toiling in the minors, but the dude was still super young when he left.

Riikola wasn't drafted also he sucked.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
They all suck. :laugh:

But Puustinen's shot seems promising. The only guy in the system who seems to have any single thing going for him at the moment.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To be fair, I think Hallander was a safe bet to become a NHLer. He's probably the best prospect there. He just got butthurt that he wasn't gifted a roster spot at age 22, so he took his ball and went home.

I don't think the Penguins mishandled him, Hallander was just a baby about it. If he would have stayed, he would have absolutely been on the NHL team next year.

Eh. I don't think much of the prospect pool. They haven't just not had the picks... they've drafted badly where they do. Or sure seems like it. It's nothing against the guy but frankly if Puus is your like... second or third best prospect (a sub 6 foot likely-scoring-line-or-nothing type who doesn't actually score at a huge rate at the AHL level) then you aren't exactly killing it with your drafting and farm system.

All that said I'm not as confident as you are about the bolded. Plus I dunno about the whole "baby" thing. Playing at home while still getting paid well has advantages over riding buses in another country and having an uncertain career path. Whether that's due to lack of ability or lack of opportunity or a little of both.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Eh. I don't think much of the prospect pool. They haven't just not had the picks... they've drafted badly where they do. Or sure seems like it. It's nothing against the guy but frankly if Puus is your like... second or third best prospect (a sub 6 foot likely-scoring-line-or-nothing type who doesn't actually score at a huge rate at the AHL level) then you aren't exactly killing it with your drafting and farm system.

All that said I'm not as confident as you are about the bolded. Plus I dunno about the whole "baby" thing. Playing at home while still getting paid well has advantages over riding buses and having an uncertain career path. Whether that's due to lack of ability or lack of opportunity or a little of both.

He was waiver eligible and would almost assuredly been claimed off of waivers if the Penguins tried to waive him, based on how well he profiles as a bottom-6 guy and how well he produced in the minors.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Basically a career AHL player that could replace injured places once in a while like all teams do..

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He was waiver eligible and would almost assuredly been claimed off of waivers if the Penguins tried to waive him, based on how well he profiles as a bottom-6 guy and how well he produced in the minors.

Maybe. I dunno... maybe he just figured the team was more likely to stash him on the farm all next year as opposed to giving him a shot out of camp. I don't read as much into it as some people but there seems to be a bit of a shortage of opportunity on the Penguins even though I definitely agree there's also not much to GIVE those opportunities to.

I think he just saw it as a better and more comfortable career move. Kind of a Michal Sivek redux but without the massive trust fund to fall back on.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hallander would've had to clear waivers, so if the NHL was his goal he could've stuck it out until the final cuts and then shipped off to Sweden. He didn't want to play in the NHL anymore.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad