Confirmed with Link: Puustinen 2 way 775k

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Sullivan: I think our system works best with speed

Also Sullivan: Let’s call up the AHL players and give them 3 shifts a period for 7 total minutes a game.

Sullivan needs to do what he did when he took this team over and trust younger players again and let them work out growing pains. If you’re going to allow constant issues from vets then give the young guns a chance too.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Sullivan: I think our system works best with speed

Also Sullivan: Let’s call up the AHL players and give them 3 shifts a period for 7 total minutes a game.

Sullivan needs to do what he did when he took this team over and trust younger players again and let them work out growing pains. If you’re going to allow constant issues from vets then give the young guns a chance too.

They also MUST be able to PK!

Reactions: farscape1

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
To be fair to Sullivan, though he probably doesn't deserve it at this stage, this team's not burying somebody like Cole Caufield, Wyatt Johnston, Dawson Mercer, or something like that. They have a shitload of Kuhnhackl and Ruhwedel-tier dummies and Pickering, who is like 4 years away from being anything, if he ever is.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
To be fair to Sullivan, though he probably doesn't deserve it at this stage, this team's not burying somebody like Cole Caufield, Wyatt Johnston, Dawson Mercer, or something like that. They have a shitload of Kuhnhackl and Ruhwedel-tier dummies and Pickering, who is like 4 years away from being anything, if he ever is.
Would be nice if guys got an actual chance before getting buried.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Puustinen was a 7th rounder (203 overall). The fact that he even got an NHL game already is quite the accomplishment.

After his first year in WBS I wanted him to work on his playmaking. I didn't watch as much this season but looking at his assist total I'd say he improved there.

Now he can work on consistency/intensity. If the Pens decide to add talent to WBS I suspect that could help.

Work on developing his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses (duh). Cause he ain't gonna turn into a two way forward. Could be a middle six skill forward. But certainly not a 4th liner.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I'd prefer that over dipshits like Heinen, McGinn, etc. but you're just trading expensive shit for cheap shit. Which, again, I'd prefer.
Give Heinen decent usage and he'll probably give you 30 points while being serviceable defensively, at like 1M.
I'd want him brought back if it wasn't for this coach being here, since I know he'll bench/scratch him over guys he's outperforming.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Hallander would've had to clear waivers, so if the NHL was his goal he could've stuck it out until the final cuts and then shipped off to Sweden. He didn't want to play in the NHL anymore.
I think it also had to do with being offered a 5 year deal to go home. That's a lot of term and security for any fringe NHL player. Jonathan Dahlen got a similar deal to go back to Sweden after having a pretty strong rookie year in the actual NHL.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Would be nice if guys got an actual chance before getting buried.

I know Penguins fans have some often-funny ideas of what makes a depth player but it sure seems like either the Penguins don't make many opportunities available or this team is basically admitting it can't even draft and develop third and fourth liners. Both of which are pretty unfortunate.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Work on developing his strengths while minimizing his weaknesses (duh). Cause he ain't gonna turn into a two way forward. Could be a middle six skill forward. But certainly not a 4th liner.

Sullivan: I've got a couple openings on the 4th line. He'll fit in great there

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Give Heinen decent usage and he'll probably give you 30 points while being serviceable defensively, at like 1M.
I'd want him brought back if it wasn't for this coach being here, since I know he'll bench/scratch him over guys he's outperforming.
And this is exactly why the roster never has room for guys to "get a chance" like you want. :laugh:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
1687286845823.png

Is he really a problem? 🤔 Or could it be the coach?
60% D-zone starts? lol

And this is exactly why the roster never has room for guys to "get a chance" like you want. :laugh:
I don't care if someone gets blocked if the people in front of him are better. That wasn't the case last year. That's why it was frustrating.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Oh boy, on pace stats. My favorite. :laugh:

Again, the bottom-6 was f***ing atrocious last year, and on top of that, it wasn't cheap. If the team's fine icing terrible players/combos, and the coach seems to be, let 'em be cheap. I think the prospects are all extremely forgettable, but they're like near league minimum guys, and have the slightest chance of improving (not under this coach).

Reactions: LOGiK

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Next season Geno LW. He should get a hard look in training camp and test him early in the season to see if he can be something at the NHL level, I don't think he has anything more to prove in the AHL.

Reactions: Andy99

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Again, the bottom-6 was f***ing atrocious last year, and on top of that, it wasn't cheap. If the team's fine icing terrible players/combos, and the coach seems to be, let 'em be cheap. I think the prospects are all extremely forgettable, but they're like near league minimum guys, and have the slightest chance of improving (not under this coach).

I don't think Heinen is bad. He is vanilla but did some things well and cheaply. He was stapled to Carter, who sucks.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think Heinen is bad. He is vanilla but did some things well and cheaply. He was stapled to Carter, who sucks.
They both suck. Carter is definitely worse, but Heinen is a dime a dozen 4th liner imo.

I had a problem with Heinen less than I had a problem with other guys, for sure, but guys like Heinen constantly being signed or re-signed is the exact reason this roster never has room to see just what these darling prospects have to offer. :laugh:

-edit- I was curious and bored so I went back to scan and Heinen went 34 games with 5pts, zero goals, from October 24th to January 24th. :laugh: Everybody in that bottom-6 was trash last year. Just god awful.

Last edited:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018

Players can only do as much as they can with what they're given. Heinen was fine.
The coach was not.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Players can only do as much as they can with what they're given. Heinen was fine.
The coach was not.
I can't believe Mike Sullivan was telling Heinen to not score a goal for nearly half the season. He's even more nefarious than I thought, and I've wanted him fired since 2020.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Sullivan needs to get over himself…not everyone needs to be a two-way wonder to get a look in the NHL….some players like Dom Simon look good in the AHL and put up points, but are crappy NHL players….I’m sure there are others who aren’t anything special in the AHL but are better in the NHL…give peace, I mean Puusy, a chance, says John Lennon

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Next season Geno LW. He should get a hard look in training camp and test him early in the season to see if he can be something at the NHL level, I don't think he has anything more to prove in the AHL.

Puustinen and Nylander deserve the looks, even over O'Connor.

I disagree with parts of both of these.

First, I don't believe Puustinen has played any LW over here in North America. And yes, it does matter.

Second, yes he still has plenty to prove in the AHL. He's an offensive first player who wasn't particularly that productive outside of the power play. I reserve the "nothing left to prove in the AHL" for the players that play in all situations and are production. Like DOC and POJ.

Which brings me to the next point: no, he and Nylander should not and do not deserve "the looks" over DOC. DOC has the size, skating, and defensive awareness that the other two don't. Plus he was essentially a point per game in the AHL (aka more than those two). edit: DOC is a PPG player in the AHL -- I thought he was under by a point.

The good thing though is that hockey development can be weird. Could one or all three be a complimentary piece in the middle six? Yes. Will they? Probably not.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I disagree with parts of both of these.

First, I don't believe Puustinen has played any LW over here in North America. And yes, it does matter.

Second, yes he still has plenty to prove in the AHL. He's an offensive first player who wasn't particularly that productive outside of the power play. I reserve the "nothing left to prove in the AHL" for the players that play in all situations and are production. Like DOC and POJ.

Which brings me to the next point: no, he and Nylander should not and do not deserve "the looks" over DOC. DOC has the size, skating, and defensive awareness that the other two don't. Plus he was essentially a point per game in the AHL (aka more than those two).

The good thing though is that hockey development can be weird. Could one or all three be a complimentary piece in the middle six? Yes. Will they? Probably not.

Over O'Connor, doesn't particularly mean at LW or center for that matter. Just taking a roster spot. There is a lot to be said about every player being some defensive stalwart. Skill is higher on the card for me, even defensively challenged players can play some defense when it matters most. Point being, too much is put on every player being defensive. You want a mix, and just because a guy presses for offense, most times, you are not looking for a defensive first guy in that role.

Nylander has the best output in the NHL to date. Just because he hasn't done it for the Pens doesn't mean he hasn't done it more than O'Connor. Nylander has the pedigree and he was drafted accordingly.

I won't say too much between O'Connor and Puustinen other than I think the offensive skillset is greater for Puustinen. You are not looking to make a 5'9" offensive player into a defensive stalwart.

I think O'Connor tops out as a fringe 3rd liner, and he needs to play that way to get a regular NHL contract. Can we stop stripping the team completely of skill.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Over O'Connor, doesn't particularly mean at LW or center for that matter. Just taking a roster spot. There is a lot to be said about every player being some defensive stalwart. Skill is higher on the card for me, even defensively challenged players can play some defense when it matters most. Point being, too much is put on every player being defensive. You want a mix, and just because a guy presses for offense, most times, you are not looking for a defensive first guy in that role.

Nylander has the best output in the NHL to date. Just because he hasn't done it for the Pens doesn't mean he hasn't done it more than O'Connor. Nylander has the pedigree and he was drafted accordingly.

I won't say too much between O'Connor and Puustinen other than I think the offensive skillset is greater for Puustinen. You are not looking to make a 5'9" offensive player into a defensive stalwart.

I think O'Connor tops out as a fringe 3rd liner, and he needs to play that way to get a regular NHL contract. Can we stop stripping the team completely of skill.

Sullivan is still coaching so I wouldn’t get too excited about having “skill” in the lineup lol…hope you like your hockey real boring

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad