Value of: Puljujarvi to NJ

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I'm not trading McLeod.

He is slowly starting to show his offensive skills in AHL as a playmaker. And he is probably ready to take Brian Boyle old job as early as next season.

Even if he doesnt pan out offensively in NHL, at a minimum he will be a very good 3rd line NHL center with his motor, speed and defensive ability.

I would prefer to trade Zacha instead but dont want to make it a one for one. Would rather add to the deal (Miles Wood, Butcher, picks?) to get Darnel Nurse to NJ.

I’d rather keep both and let them continue to develop. No need to take on a reclamation project unless it’s cheap.

Reactions: ThePrideofStockholm

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Anyone recall when a top 5 pick was traded less than 3 years after being drafted for scraps/lateral move?
GM's don't do it.
Seguin was the closest but that ship has sailed Devils fans haha

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Dylan Strome.
Seth Jones
Strome in his 4th year. How did that work out for ARI? He'd be there leading scorer

I'd say Nashville lost that deal but also had Weber, Josi, Ekholm, and Ellis so they could afford to "lose" it.
The Oilers are definitely not in the same position(Maybe with Hall, Eberle, and a productive Lucic on the roster :()

So out of all the top 5 picks from 2005-2015; we have one case.

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
Pavel Zacha and a small +.

Zacha could be the perfect shutdown, pk, physical 3c behind Mcdavid and Drai or Nuge.

Love oiler fans sometimes. Why are the oilers adding? Zacha was taken 6th overall to the other guys 4th--so that removes "the taken high debate" Zacha is 21 oiler guy is 20. So that removes the age debate. scoring? Zacha has 68pts in 193 nhl games to the Oilers guy 37 in 139 games. You have the plus on the wrong side. Zacha can play in the NHL. Oiler guy? not so much

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
To be fair, I really don't think many people who arent an Oiler fans would agree.

We're talking about Pavel Zacha here, you know he played some AHL games just this season right? He's been improved since but let's not act like he is miles ahead of Pulju.

Just because the Devil's picked him ahead of Barzal, Rantanen, Werenski, Provorov, Meier, etc doesn't mean he is good.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
We have plenty of young fringe NHL players without taking Edmonton's rejects.

Would rather give that time/opportunity to Anderson, Seney, McLeod, Bastian, Gignac, Studenic, etc.

Pool Party's worth is based on his on-ice play and not his draft position.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
We're talking about Pavel Zacha here, you know he played some AHL games just this season right? He's been improved since but let's not act like he is miles ahead of Pulju.

Just because the Devil's picked him ahead of Barzal, Rantanen, Werenski, Provorov, Meier, etc doesn't mean he is good.
PoolParty and his 9 points would be better off in the AHL if you are being honest.

I agree draft position means nothing. That seems to be missed a lot by Oiler fans. Do you want the list of players better than Pool party the Oilers missed in his draft? The point you are trying to make is pretty hilarious.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
PoolParty and his 9 points would be better off in the AHL if you are being honest.

I agree draft position means nothing. That seems to be missed a lot by Oiler fans. Do you want the list of players better than Pool party the Oilers missed in his draft? The point you are trying to make is pretty hilarious.

You never have anything good to say about the Oilers, regardless of the player. That isn't hilarious.

Puljujarvi should have been in the AHL all year. No question in my mind about that.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
You just said lateral move.

Jones for Johansson was a lateral move.

Jones for Johansson wasn't exactly a lateral move, it was a 1C for a middle pair defenseman who Columbus hoped would become as good as the guy they traded for him. He got better, and Johansen fell back a bit since, but remember that Johansen was fresh off of his 70 point season in Columbus. He was seen as an emerging #1 C by many.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

I am aware of the list we passed on for him, reminded of Tkachuk in particular by Flames fans almost daily on here. However, there is a huge difference between our viewpoints - i'm not claiming Pulju is a good player/difference maker (yet). I think he needs 1-2 seasons in the AHL/Europe to work on his confidence and overall game IF he wants to be a TOP6 player. If we wanted to go the same route with Pulju as yall did with Zacha we could have groomed him into a 3rd line checking winger. He has a long stick and is an excellent forechecker, plays a 2-way game and is responsible on the ice, and can contribute to offense similarly to Zacha. Our management and coahcing are jerking him around and unclear with what they want him to be and its hindering him.
You are acting like Zacha isnt an at best 3rd line checking forward. That's all he is and that isnt "an allstar" compared to Pulju.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
You never have anything good to say about the Oilers, regardless of the player. That isn't hilarious.

Puljujarvi should have been in the AHL all year. No question in my mind about that.
So you are agreeing with my post but just want to whine a little bit? That's sad. Just keep it to hockey . If you think I'm wrong tell me all about it. If not just push the "like" button and move on.

What exactly am I supposed to be praising about the Oilers? Am I supposed to just randomly praise McDavid for being awesome? Dri, is a good player?

I really do feel bad for the loyal fans. The entire management staff is a joke, the drafting is awful and the player development is worse. But at least the old boys club from the 80s has a toy to play with.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
McLeod for Pulju and we might have something

Why would we trade for the worse player? Mcleod is putting up worse numbers in the AHL in his D+3 than Pulju did in his D+1 year. I like his speed and skating but Pulju fills a much bigger need for us as a potential scoring winger.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
I am aware of the list we passed on for him, reminded of Tkachuk in particular by Flames fans almost daily on here. However, there is a huge difference between our viewpoints - i'm not claiming Pulju is a good player/difference maker (yet). I think he needs 1-2 seasons in the AHL/Europe to work on his confidence and overall game IF he wants to be a TOP6 player. If we wanted to go the same route with Pulju as yall did with Zacha we could have groomed him into a 3rd line checking winger. He has a long stick and is an excellent forechecker, plays a 2-way game and is responsible on the ice, and can contribute to offense similarly to Zacha. Our management and coahcing are jerking him around and unclear with what they want him to be and its hindering him.
You are acting like Zacha isnt an at best 3rd line checking forward. That's all he is and that isnt "an allstar" compared to Pulju.
Why do you believe Zacha can't improve but Pool party can? Zacha is already ahead in development and has his own set of skills that have potential and they are close in age.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
We have plenty of young fringe NHL players without taking Edmonton's rejects.

Would rather give that time/opportunity to Anderson, Seney, McLeod, Bastian, Gignac, Studenic, etc.

Pool Party's worth is based on his on-ice play and not his draft position.
The Dylan Strome trade says differently.

Strome 21 years old 21GP 9Pts
Schmaltz 22 years old 78GP 52Pts

Draft position had 90% to do with this trade....unless you think Perlini's on ice play had some major value

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Why do you believe Zacha can't improve but Pool party can? Zacha is already ahead in development and has his own set of skills that have potential and they are close in age.

I never said that. I was talking about what he is now, a 3rd line checking forward, that you are claiming is vastly superior to JP.
Anyways its clear NJ wouldnt do that deal and I dont think the Oilers would either. He would regress here with our pathetic forward depth.

Edit:
Pulju is 14th in ppg on the Oilers (min 30 games) with 11:57 toi and 0:27 PP time
Zacha is tied 13th in ppg on Devils (min 30 games) with 15:46 with 1:30 PP time a game and 2+ mins on the PK.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad