Value of: Puljujarvi to NJ

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
You never have anything good to say about the Oilers, regardless of the player. That isn't hilarious.

Puljujarvi should have been in the AHL all year. No question in my mind about that.

Most people don't.

The organization is a ****ing farce.

I'd do McLeod for Puljujarvi, but I completely understand Oilers fans not wanting to sell that low on a 20-year-old former 4OA pick. Bad optics.

Zacha? Not a shot, and the notion that we'd have to add is nonsense.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He really isnt though :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If you'd watched any NJ games and could explain why that was the case you would have a point. I'm guessing you haven't and you can't. Posting silly emojis doesn't make you right. Please explain why Zacha is an equivalent player to Pulju right now. I don't watch much of EDM. I'm willing to agree you may be correct but need more than emojis. Thanks.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I never said that. I was talking about what he is now, a 3rd line checking forward, that you are claiming is vastly superior to JP.
Anyways its clear NJ wouldnt do that deal and I dont think the Oilers would either. He would regress here with our pathetic forward depth.

Actually, you were the one that implied Puljujarvi is superior to Zacha, by telling him to "take a chill pill" (seriously?) after rejecting the notion that the Devils would have to add to Zacha for Puljujarvi.

... which is, frankly, ridiculous. Even if all Zacha is, is a "3rd line checking forward," what does that make Puljujarvi?

Dude's lucky if he plays 10 minutes a night.

Reactions: vtdevils2k

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
So you are agreeing with my post but just want to whine a little bit? That's sad. Just keep it to hockey . If you think I'm wrong tell me all about it. If not just push the "like" button and move on.

What exactly am I supposed to be praising about the Oilers? Am I supposed to just randomly praise McDavid for being awesome? Dri, is a good player?

I really do feel bad for the loyal fans. The entire management staff is a joke, the drafting is awful and the player development is worse. But at least the old boys club from the 80s has a toy to play with.

I think you're incredibly negative when it comes to the Oilers. You post on a lot of Oiler threads. You feel free to post what you want. I'll do the same.

I don't think their drafting has been awful. If you take a look at where they've been drafting the past few years they've grabbed the right player at the right spot. What they've been terrible at is pushing young players into the NHL before they're ready, and higher in the line up before they should. This comes from poor trades depleting their line up and forcing the coach to make these kinds of moves.

I can't defend the GMs or those who've put them there.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
If you'd watched any NJ games and could explain why that was the case you would have a point. I'm guessing you haven't and you can't. Posting silly emojis doesn't make you right. Please explain why Zacha is an equivalent player to Pulju right now. I don't watch much of EDM. I'm willing to agree you may be correct but need more than emojis. Thanks.

I do watch NJ games though, admittedly not much since Hall went down but a bunch at the start of the season. My old user was Hall04 he is still one of my favorite players and I enjoy watching him play. I was actually in Manhattan for a few days and took the train to catch two Devils games.
Zacha plays a more complete game but he knows what is expected of him, and is bad offensively 13th on the Devils in ppg. Overall he is a good reliable 3rd liner.
Pulju with clear instructions is a similar 3rd liner imo we have seen him for periods play good in a 3rd line checking role then gets promoted to play (at most) a period in the top6 and then the rest of the game on the 4th line. He then works his way back to the 3rd line, plays a few good games, gets promoted for a period of top6 and on and on. Our management of him has been horrible.

Reactions: My3Sons

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Actually, you were the one that implied Puljujarvi is superior to Zacha, by telling him to "take a chill pill" (seriously?) after rejecting the notion that the Devils would have to add to Zacha for Puljujarvi.

... which is, frankly, ridiculous. Even if all Zacha is, is a "3rd line checking forward," what does that make Puljujarvi?

Zacha’s averaging nearly 16 minutes a night this season and has *never* averaged under 14 in a season, so that’s just untrue.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

The chil pill was referring to the tone of the comment "As a neutral fan, oiler fans are out of their minds if they think Poolparty is worth Zacha. Never mind Zacha +. Dear lord."

Again, lets not pretend like Zacha is a special player. We all know he isnt.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Except Hebig cant hold McLeods jockstrap

McLeod is closer to Puljujarvi than Hebig is to our worst prospect

Kind of like how McLeod can’t hold Puljujarvi’s. He had better AHL Numbers as a fresh off the boat 18 year old.

McLeod has an absolute maximum ceiling of Lars Eller and he’s 3 years minimum from even being that. Pass.

Reactions: A91

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I do watch NJ games though, admittedly not much since Hall went down but a bunch at the start of the season. My old user was Hall04 he is still one of my favorite players and I enjoy watching him play. I was actually in Manhattan for a few days and took the train to catch two Devils games.
Zacha plays a more complete game but he knows what is expected of him, and is bad offensively 13th on the Devils in ppg. Overall he is a good reliable 3rd liner.
Pulju with clear instructions is a similar 3rd liner imo we have seen him for periods play good in a 3rd line checking role then gets promoted to play (at most) a period in the top6 and then the rest of the game on the 4th line. He then works his way back to the 3rd line, plays a few good games, gets promoted for a period of top6 and on and on. Our management of him has been horrible.
Puljujarvi, a third liner?

Puljujarvi plays a whopping 11:57 compared to Zacha’s 15:46

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Puljujarvi, a third liner?

Puljujarvi plays a whopping 11:57 compared to Zacha’s 15:46

One is 14th in ppg on his team (min 30 games) with 11:57 toi and 0:27 PP time
The other is tied 13th in ppg on his team (min 30 games) with 15:46 with 1:30 PP time a game and 2+ mins on the PK.

Tell me how one is so vastly superior to the other? Or in your words "miles ahead"

NJD28

Nov 28, 2010
The Dylan Strome trade says differently.

Strome 21 years old 21GP 9Pts
Schmaltz 22 years old 78GP 52Pts

Draft position had 90% to do with this trade....unless you think Perlini's on ice play had some major value

No, Perlini's on ice play had nothing to do with it. It was his draft position - eight spots ahead of Schmaltz in 2014. Isn't that how it works?

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I think you're incredibly negative when it comes to the Oilers. You post on a lot of Oiler threads. You feel free to post what you want. I'll do the same.

I don't think their drafting has been awful. If you take a look at where they've been drafting the past few years they've grabbed the right player at the right spot. What they've been terrible at is pushing young players into the NHL before they're ready, and higher in the line up before they should. This comes from poor trades depleting their line up and forcing the coach to make these kinds of moves.

I can't defend the GMs or those who've put them there.
So, once again we aren’t disagreeing. So you just don’t want me to talk about it?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don't think there's a trade for a project like Puljujarvi that will satisfy Oilers fans right now.

The Devils' tradeable forward assets are improving more than Puljujarvi has and the team can't afford to give up defense. Shero likely only does this if he's buying super cheap and giving up one of Zacha and McLeod isn't a cheap price.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
The chil pill was referring to the tone of the comment "As a neutral fan, oiler fans are out of their minds if they think Poolparty is worth Zacha. Never mind Zacha +. Dear lord."

No one is saying he is, but he is currently a very effective bottom 6 forward. Even if he does not meet his perceived offensive ceiling that got him taken 6th overall, he definitely seems like he has a long career ahead of him as a bottom six guy.

Not sure if the same can be said for Puljuarvi.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
One is 14th in ppg on his team (min 30 games) with 11:57 toi and 0:27 PP time
The other is tied 13th in ppg on his team (min 30 games) with 15:46 with 1:30 PP time a game and 2+ mins on the PK.

Tell me how one is so vastly superior to the other? Or in your words "miles ahead"
Do you think hockey is played like basketball or something?

Defense is a thing in which Zacha excels at and is deployed almost strictly to do - Puljujarvi is deployed simply because he has to be as to not piss off his agent.

Reactions: TS Quint

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
No, Perlini's on ice play had nothing to do with it. It was his draft position - eight spots ahead of Schmaltz in 2014. Isn't that how it works?
December 2018 -HF Boards "Bowman's an idiot for trading a 50 point player for two busts"
February 2019 - HF Boards "Bowman stole a recent 3OA"

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

That’s a lot better than snarky emojis. That said, I think PZ is a middle six guy right now. Most nights he is a legit 3C but some nights lately he looks like a 2C. He’s got something like 11 points in the past 22 games. He’s slowly trending in the correct direction. He’s also a top notch penalty killer in addition to a good defensive center at even strength when the points are not coming. I think if you auctioned off the two players to actual NHL GMs that Zacha gets a fair bit more than Pullju but I agree it could change in the future.

Reactions: trufleshufle13

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

I don't think anyone called Zacha a "special player"... ?

You're bashing a narrative that you created yourself.

Oh, and Oilers fans are out of their minds if they think Puljujarvi is worth Zacha. He was right.

Reactions: trufleshufle13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad