Value of: Puljujarvi to NJ

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
One is 14th in ppg on his team (min 30 games) with 11:57 toi and 0:27 PP time
The other is tied 13th in ppg on his team (min 30 games) with 15:46 with 1:30 PP time a game and 2+ mins on the PK.

Tell me how one is so vastly superior to the other? Or in your words "miles ahead"

Your stats are bad. Zacha would be 11th if you exclude Murphy (1pt, 1gp) and Agostino (2pts, 5gp)

Zacha is vastly superior on the PK. Devils are 3rd in the league and Zacha has 3rd highest TOI for forwards and 5th highest for skaters.
Puljujarvi gets minimal (2 sec/game average) PK time on the 29th ranked team.

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Lateralous

Jun 17, 2003
Abington, PA
Visit site
Zacha has finally started to figure it out. He stopped being timid, uses his body well along the boards and has started getting on the scoreboard on a regular basis since that early season demotion. He could also have easily another 10 points if he didn't have some of the worst luck, especially early in the year, Now that he's a productive member of the team, there's absolutely no reason to trade him for another player you're hoping will eventually "come around."

Only move that makes sense from NJ standpoint is trading another prospect that looks like he could benefit from a change of scenery like McLeod.

Reactions: MichaelJ

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Your stats are bad. Zacha would be 11th if you exclude Murphy (1pt, 1gp) and Agostino (2pts, 5gp)

Zacha is vastly superior on the PK. Devils are 3rd in the league and Zacha has 3rd highest TOI for forwards and 5th highest for skaters.
Puljujarvi gets minimal (2 sec/game average) PK time on the 29th ranked team.

Actually my stats are fine according to NHL.com. I put the cutoff at 30 games. It includes Boyle which is fair imo.
Your stats are bad.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
"Dude's lucky if he plays 10 minutes a night" was about Puljujarvi, not Zacha.

I'm well aware of Zacha's role on the Devils :)

Ah, clearly read too fast. I wasn’t sure which ‘Zacha is so much better’ spin was being used.

I’m willing to admit Zacha > Puljujarvi right now, but it’s just as clear that Puljujarvi is head and shoulders better than McLeod or Quenneville right now. Absolutely no benefit to us to move Puljujarvi for either guy.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Do you think hockey is played like basketball or something?

Defense is a thing in which Zacha excels at and is deployed almost strictly to do - Puljujarvi is deployed simply because he has to be as to not piss off his agent.

This post is funny, it shows
1) You know little/nothing about basketball
2) You know little/nothing about Pulju or the Oilers

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I don't think anyone called Zacha a "special player"... ?

You're bashing a narrative that you created yourself.

Oh, and Oilers fans are out of their minds if they think Puljujarvi is worth Zacha. He was right.

Either we have different definitions of "out of your mind" or you way overvalue Zacha.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I don't think there's a trade for a project like Puljujarvi that will satisfy Oilers fans right now.

The Devils' tradeable forward assets are improving more than Puljujarvi has and the team can't afford to give up defense. Shero likely only does this if he's buying super cheap and giving up one of Zacha and McLeod isn't a cheap price.
John Quennville with adds is probably fair value (relax edm, I know what you're going to say). JP should be in Bakersfield right now learning how to win with the Condors. Instead he's wasting away and is a complete mess. JQ is doing well in Binghamton, almost a pt a game, only McLeod is better. The optics are crappy for Edm I get it but right now these two are in similar shape. The adds will make up the difference in the drafting and age diff. And they could be any # of things short of the Devs 1st this year. I would disagree with D, I think Santini could be part of that deal or rights to Mirco Mueller/Egor Yakolev.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
That’s a lot better than snarky emojis. That said, I think PZ is a middle six guy right now. Most nights he is a legit 3C but some nights lately he looks like a 2C. He’s got something like 11 points in the past 22 games. He’s slowly trending in the correct direction. He’s also a top notch penalty killer in addition to a good defensive center at even strength when the points are not coming. I think if you auctioned off the two players to actual NHL GMs that Zacha gets a fair bit more than Pullju but I agree it could change in the future.

Happy to hear wish the best of luck to him. Thanks for a fair non-homer post, a rarity on this thread.

Reactions: My3Sons

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Ah, clearly read too fast. I wasn’t sure which ‘Zacha is so much better’ spin was being used.

I’m willing to admit Zacha > Puljujarvi right now, but it’s just as clear that Puljujarvi is head and shoulders better than McLeod or Quenneville right now. Absolutely no benefit to us to move Puljujarvi for either guy.

Puljujarvi for McLeod makes as much sense for the Oilers, as Zacha for Puljujarvi makes sense for the Devils.

Two nonsense deals.

Pul for Zacha is an good trade for both teams, change of scenery

No, it's an egregious rip-off that the Devils don't even consider.

Reactions: Draiskull

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
No offense Devils fans but Bratt and Johansson aren’t exactly RNH and Drai who PoolParty has got to play more than 50% of his time with.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Either we have different definitions of "out of your mind" or you way overvalue Zacha.

Instead of pointing fingers at me for "way overvaluing Zacha," why don't you explain why you believe Puljujarvi has the same value? That seems more productive, no?

Happy to hear wish the best of luck to him. Thanks for a fair non-homer post, a rarity on this thread.

Disagreement with a poster's opinion doesn't make that poster's content unfair and "homer" material. Grow up, dude.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

What is your view on Puljujarvi if the average fan knows little?
To most of us he looks like a career bottom 6 player with size and skating to be very effective at that role. Given a lot of work and a change in mentality he possibly tops out as a Blake Coleman type player.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Puljujarvi for McLeod makes as much sense for the Oilers, as Zacha for Puljujarvi makes sense for the Devils.

Two nonsense deals.

No, it's an egregious rip-off that the Devils don't even consider.

lol huh ? have you checked both of their stats and draft pedigree recently ? Stop being such a homer because Zacha plays for the devils man lol Puljujarvi is 1 year younger hence the 25 some off gap in points. Who knows Puljujarvi might justr break out next season and blow Zacha away. In fact id be pretty reluctant to let go of Poolparty in this scenario.

upload_2019-2-20_11-42-44.png
upload_2019-2-20_11-43-16.png

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
lol huh ? have you checked both of their stats and draft pedigree recently ? Stop being such a homer because Zacha plays for the devils man lol Puljujarvi is 1 year younger hence the 25 some off gap in points. Who knows Puljujarvi might justr break out next season and blow Zacha away. In fact id be pretty reluctant to let go of Poolparty in this scenario.

View attachment 189221View attachment 189223

I'm on record in this thread stating a McLeod-for-Puljujarvi deal makes zero sense for the Oilers, and that they wouldn't even consider it. How the hell am I a "homer"?

Or is it custom for Oilers fans to toss that term around when confronted with facts and opinions they don't agree with?

For those that have watched Zacha this year (and I'll give you a pass here; I don't expect you to catch many Devils games), he is clearly turning a corner. He's much more confident with the puck, stronger along the boards, and has continued to be noticeable defensively. He plays the 3rd most PK minutes for the 3rd best PK in the league.

Meanwhile, Jesse Puljujarvi plays 10 minutes a game... on a good night. Loads of talent and potential, for sure, but he hasn't been able to establish himself at the NHL level.

The Devils have gone already gone through these growing pains with Zacha, and it is finally paying dividends. There is zero reason for New Jersey to do this trade, and go back to square one. It is completely illogical, and I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Reactions: MichaelJ

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Instead of pointing fingers at me for "way overvaluing Zacha," why don't you explain why you believe Puljujarvi has the same value? That seems more productive, no?

Disagreement with a poster's opinion doesn't make that poster's content unfair and "homer" material. Grow up, dude.

Maybe you are undervaluing Pulju then? For me "way out of your mind" would be suggesting Hischier for McDavid or Zacha for Draisaitl. Not Pulju for Zacha. All I am saying is that Zacha is not as vastly superior to Pulju as Devils fans think he is. They are relatively close, with the edge to Zacha as I have mentioned in this thread. If Devils fans think Zacha is without a doubt vastly superior to Pulju then they are overvaluing their player (homers) or undervaluing a player they do not know much about in Pulju.
Is that grown up enough for you papa?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

View attachment 189221View attachment 189223
Yikes, Puljujarvi hasnt produced at ANY level. Hes worse than I thought, thanks for pointing this out

Reactions: byrath

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Zacha has finally started to figure it out. He stopped being timid, uses his body well along the boards and has started getting on the scoreboard on a regular basis since that early season demotion. He could also have easily another 10 points if he didn't have some of the worst luck, especially early in the year, Now that he's a productive member of the team, there's absolutely no reason to trade him for another player you're hoping will eventually "come around."

Only move that makes sense from NJ standpoint is trading another prospect that looks like he could benefit from a change of scenery like McLeod.

I agree with all of this except for McLeod. He’s been steadily improving and developing at Bing. I don’t think he needs a change of scenery, just more development time.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Maybe you are undervaluing Pulju then? For me "way out of your mind" would be suggesting Hischier for McDavid or Zacha for Draisaitl. Not Pulju for Zacha. All I am saying is that Zacha is not as vastly superior to Pulju as Devils fans think he is. They are relatively close, with the edge to Zacha as I have mentioned in this thread. If Devils fans think Zacha is without a doubt vastly superior to Pulju then they are overvaluing their player (homers) or undervaluing a player they do not know much about in Pulju.
Is that grown up enough for you papa?

What an incredibly awkward thing to say, but yeah, an explanation is a lot better than one-liner quips calling people homers. A two-way dialogue tends to be much more productive.

As I explained above, the Devils have already invested years into Zacha's growing pains, and he is finally turning a corner. We're finally seeing returns on the investment. You're suggesting that it makes sense for the Devils to revert to square one, invest years into Puljujarvi, hoping he puts it all together... at the expense of Zacha, who looks like he's put that stage behind him?

If you seriously think that makes sense for the Devils, then yeah, you are "out of your mind."

Or perhaps you are the homer here, entirely unable to understand context outside your own organization.

Reactions: trufleshufle13

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad