Confirmed Signing with Link: Puljujarvi signed to a 1 year deal with Kärpät, Liiga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Does he genuinely think Holland will give in to his demands(?), which I guess is him thinking he deserves top 6 playtime in a league he doesn’t belong right now because of his drsft pedigree.

Holland has been in similar situations with players like Fedorov before, Puljujärvi doesn’t bother him much.

Either way, going back to Finland might be good for him.
He just does not want to play in Edmonton...He's never demanded a top 6 role, he's just said that Edmonton is a no-no. And I kinda understand, if you're not happy somewhere then go elsewhere. I hope he gets to enjoy hockey again now.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Great news for a Kärpät fan like me! He left to NHL too early anyway. Now become a star in Liiga and then NT, later another try as a more mature player.
It's time to see whether his problems were related to language or not. If it was language, we should see him run circles around the Liiga and end up with 60 - 70 points in 60 games. Otherwise, I'm afraid he will be marginally above average, with perhaps 30 points in 60 games.
thinking he deserves top 6 playtime in a league he doesn’t belong
See my post in the other JP thread. That "demand" was a translation error. In Finnish, he said he would like to play in a team that can play him in the Top 6. He never said it is "Top 6, or else...", like the wrong translation (Google Translate...) said.

Reactions: Ippenator

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
He just does not want to play in Edmonton...He's never demanded a top 6 role, he's just said that Edmonton is a no-no. And I kinda understand, if you're not happy somewhere then go elsewhere. I hope he gets to enjoy hockey again now.

In his last interview JP said he wanted a top 6 role with 15+ minutes. While he did not demand it he does not think he has to prove he is good enough to be there. There is no team in the NHL that will give him top 6 minutes until he can prove that he can actually play in other roles. Maybe he can turn it around in Europe but I am not all that optimistic.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
In his last interview JP said he wanted a top 6 role with 15+ minutes. While he did not demand it he does not think he has to prove he is good enough to be there. There is no team in the NHL that will give him top 6 minutes until he can prove that he can actually play in other roles. Maybe he can turn it around in Europe but I am not all that optimistic.
Like I said, the main thing is that he's happy. People forget that this isn't a video game, it's real life and he doesn't owe anything to anyone. He can choose whatever makes him happy.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
No, the team can continually qualify him.
Actually I think they already did. The CBA says that he has to be rendered the Qualifying Offer when his SPC is up for EDM to retain his RFA rights (=stop him becoming an UFA).

EDM did render JP the QO when the SPC was up. I believe he is RFA for good now until he becomes eligible for UFA status or someone signs him onto an SPC/offer sheet.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Actual wording in 10.2(a)(ii) for those interested:
In order to receive a Right of First Refusal or Draft Choice Compensation (at the Prior Club's option) with respect to a Restricted Free Agent, the Prior Club of a Restricted Free Agent must tender to the Player, no later than 5:00 p.m. New York time on the later of June 25 or the first Monday after the Entry Draft of the final year of the Player's SPC, a "Qualifying Offer", which shall be an offer of an SPC, for one League Year, --

After getting signed onto an ELC, as long as the team just doesn't let him walk and go UFA (or buy him out or terminate otherwise), the player can, by his own actions, get himself continuously employed under a NHL contract by signing the QO at the expiry of the ELC and after that either by signing the further QOs or electing for Salary Arbitration until he's eligible for UFA. (the QO may be two-way though, unless you have established yourself in the actual NHL).

But by rejecting the QO, you may end up showing yourself out of the league. The NHL salary on QO is (at least) 100 to 110 percent of your previous year's salary, but after the rejected QO the offers, if they are even coming, can start from the league minimum.

Last edited:

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
It's time to see whether his problems were related to language or not. If it was language, we should see him run circles around the Liiga and end up with 60 - 70 points in 60 games. Otherwise, I'm afraid he will be marginally above average, with perhaps 30 points in 60 games.

Kärpät won the regular season and scored 207 goals in 60 games. Something like that is going to happen this time also. So the guys in the 1st line with a lot of PP time will score a lot of points. Last season Heponiemi scored 46 points in 50 games and he was a 19 years old prospect with less talent than Jesse. Ville Leskinen scored 57 points in 58 games and nobody knew who he was 3 years ago. If Jesse gets a 1st line spot and doesn't fail, he will score at least 45 points. There aren't many guys who score 60-70 points. In fact, the best scorer will end up with less than 60 points in most seasons. In 2017-2018 Suomela (currently San Jose) scored 60 and one season before that Haapala (failed in Florida, plays in Switzerland now) did the same but normally it will be under 60 pts. One reason for that is that coaches believe that in order to do well they need to have 3 attacking lines and no forwarder plays 20+ minutes. Kärpät has such a good roster that there probably will not be one player scoring much more than the others but 2-3 guys will be in top 10 in the league. If Jesse is not one of them, it's a disappointment. In my opinion he should be top 3 in goals and top 10 in points if he plays like what he and his agent is saying that he is capable of. If he isn't one of the best players even in Kärpät, then he has some serious issues with his game.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I honestly don't why they didn't just give him the minutes..The new GM should've given JP reassurance asap that he will play in the top 6 and the top pp. He only has to play 12+ minutes at even strength and 3 minutes on the top pp. Its not like edm is great that they couldn't give him more than 12 minutes a game while playing on the bottom 6. Why not just give him the opportunity to play in the top 6 without worry of having one mistake away from being demoted. At least try and see if guys like mcdavid, rnh, draisaitl can rejuvenate him in a larger sample size. idk. just my 2 cents.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I honestly don't why they didn't just give him the minutes..The new GM should've given JP reassurance asap that he will play in the top 6 and the top pp. He only has to play 12+ minutes at even strength and 3 minutes on the top pp. Its not like edm is great that they couldn't give him more than 12 minutes a game while playing on the bottom 6. Why not just give him the opportunity to play in the top 6 without worry of having one mistake away from being demoted. At least try and see if guys like mcdavid, rnh, draisaitl can rejuvenate him in a larger sample size. idk. just my 2 cents.

Because he's not an NHL level player.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
This is what was expected. It’s fine for the Oilers because they’re still in no rush to trade him unless they get a good deal.

Still can’t say I see all the positives for Puljujarvi though.

Reactions: Saltcreek
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad