TSN: Puljujarvi on potential return to Oilers: 'You can never say no'

capttim

Nov 11, 2014
Sign then trade or trade rights.

He does not fit with the current Oiler's players. He did not play well with Mcdavid, RNH or Drai last go around.

Would rather see Ennis back.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So he's done pouting then. If you can't crack the top 6 of a team whos most proven winger is Zack Kassian maybe you're just not that good.

He would have to make it over Nugent Hopkins, who scored at a 78 point clip last year, Yamamoto who had obviously a fantastic rookie stretch, Kassian who was scoring at about a 21 goal rate and brings grit upfront.

That's not going to be as easy for him to crack. He basically has to outplay Athansiou, but Athansiou is one year removed from a 30 goal season, that's not a given.

He'll get a look I'm sure, but right now he would be maybe 5th or 6th on the Oilers winger depth chart, no where near 2nd best.

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
6’4”, terrific skater for his size, great athleticism, excellent hustle and a pretty good shot. He’s just 22, there’s NHL potential there, for sure.

On the other hand, I’ve never been impressed by his hands/puck control, he’s not very good at operating in tight spaces/close checking. Hockey IQ doesn’t seem great to me either, and not very physical for such a big dude.

Still, I think his strengths are enough to make him a middle 6 winger, if he develops well from here on out. I can certainly see him becoming a Benoit Pouliot type, maybe better. Hope he returns to the NHL at some point.
This is how I see him too from the limited times I have watched him play. He looks like he is trying to stick handle opposite handed or his stick is twice as long as it should be. I was surprised at how crappy he was handling the puck for a draft pick taken so high. His other attributes are very good and hopefully he still gets a good shot to try to find his game and role .
Would there be anything from the Devils that Oiler fans would consider trading for JP?
I kmow there are numerous old threads on his value , but would something lie, Miles Wood plus a 3rd be enough ?
Butcher ?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
At this point honestly best for both parties to just move forward with a trade.
Why would that be best for the Oilers?

Because Puljujarvi played poorly as a 20 year old, you honestly believe he has completely maxed out his potential and will never improve?
At 20? You honestly believe 20 year olds are finished NHLers who have peaked? Is that what you're honestly trying to convince us of?

Most of us with any actual common sense sorta feel like his value could not possibly be lower than it is now. What's the offer on him? a 4th rounder?

Most of us with common sense, sorta feels like an 18 year old prospect who was rushed into the league, needed to play in a more comfortable situation where they could play BIG minutes and still develop, which is what he got in Karpat.

So now that he had a big year in Karpat, we're hoping he could improve on his 12 goal 20 point season, while being removed from the offensive black hole of Milan Lucic. If he improves to a 15 goal 30 point forward making $1mill AAV do you feel his value is worse?

What if he improves to a 20 goal 40 point forward making $1mill AAV?

There is absolutely no scenario in which trading JP is a good scenario for the Oilers unless you honestly believe what he showed as an 18 year old is the absolute peak of his NHL career.

And just for kicks, lets say he IS capped out, as a 12 goal forward:

THAT STILL MAKES HIM THE 2nd HIGHEST GOAL SCORING RW ON THIS TEAM LAST YEAR.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
his agent is telling him his best option is to "play" to at least show some value at the NHL level as he has nothing to lose. His plan B can always be Europe, so there is no question he can lite things up in Europe. So that's plan B career in the bank. That option will always be there. But he can really cash out if he can be at least a top 6 forward in the NHL, see where it goes with Edmonton, if he plays well and things still don't go well in Edmonton at least there will be some teams interested at this point in making a move for him, and try to salvage a career in Edmonton, honestly I believe in player should be at least loyal to the team that drafted him. Like honestly, i don't care if you dump on me for saying this, we won't trade Juolevi for him, and you can easily say "well we don't want him blah blah blah" and that's fine, but for him to ask for a trade when he's not even NHL ready, despite the team even allowing him to play in the NHL shows what kind of person he is.

will love to see him back in the NHL. I'm sure the Oilers will love another chance to see what he can do for a fresh start. New start with the Oilers, whatever happened in the past they move on.

Reactions: egelband

Mark MacCrimmon

Sep 29, 2020
He would have to make it over Nugent Hopkins, who scored at a 78 point clip last year, Yamamoto who had obviously a fantastic rookie stretch, Kassian who was scoring at about a 21 goal rate and brings grit upfront.

That's not going to be as easy for him to crack. He basically has to outplay Athansiou, but Athansiou is one year removed from a 30 goal season, that's not a given.

He'll get a look I'm sure, but right now he would be maybe 5th or 6th on the Oilers winger depth chart, no where near 2nd best.

We do not have nearly the wing depth that your comment would suggest.

Behind Nuge, Yamo is now looking like surefire top 6 material, and at the start of 2019-20 nobody saw this coming. Yamo and Pulju are both 22, both should be breaking into the NHL within this calendar year, both 1st round picks who needed development and to be deployed as the skill rookies they are. Development is important, Yamo was done right and Pulju was definitely not. Also, can an immature 20 year old make mistakes but learn under the guidance of good coaches? Yes, yes they can.

For Chia's sake, they're the same age, yet weren't given the same opportunity to develop until Holland, and Pulju had a good year. Pulju still has great tools for a skill player and his Finnish coach has had a great development plan for him. Nobody predicted Yamo to turn from a 0.7PPG player in the AHL into a 1.0PPG player on Drai's line upon callup this year; good development. Do the same for Pulju and we have some real potential.

Kass is a great gritty 1RW option but should not be on our top line forever, only stints when needed. Nor should Archibald. Both excellent 3/4RW players. AA could work with McD, but as any Oiler fan will tell you we aren't hedging our bets and the money might not work (I have been really bullish on AA but would like an upgrade for McD). Neal is not fast enough to play 1LW long term. Everyone except Nuge and Yamo is a 3/4 line winger, and Pulju is our best long-term in-house bet to add to that; if we acquire a decent top 6 LW, and Pulju scrapes his top 6 potential, we are looking freaking amazing. Gotta try.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Very likely, there is a hand shake deal that if he doesn't fit with the team now, we will finally trade him for whatever we can get. His last wish here.

It's a very honest offer because that's all the Oilers would want to do with him. He can't go to the AHL now without going through waivers. If he can't cut it, then of course we'd trade him to a non-playoff team with longer leash to let him work out his flaws in the NHL

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
And this time, I hope we recognize that a weakness with this kid is that he has a hard time with the language and culture. Pick up some Finnish players and maybe even someone on staff. I know it's coddling but he has a ton of talent and this is the last chance for him here.

actuallynotPJStock

Feb 28, 2014
I know it’s been talked to death around here, but I would still love to see Puljujarvi in Montreal. Could there be something worked on with one of our seconds as a base? Or is it in Edmonton’s best interest to adopt a wait and see approach with him and see how he fits with the team first before they make a decision.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We do not have nearly the wing depth that your comment would suggest.

Behind Nuge, Yamo is now looking like surefire top 6 material, and at the start of 2019-20 nobody saw this coming. Yamo and Pulju are both 22, both should be breaking into the NHL within this calendar year, both 1st round picks who needed development and to be deployed as the skill rookies they are. Development is important, Yamo was done right and Pulju was definitely not. Also, can an immature 20 year old make mistakes but learn under the guidance of good coaches? Yes, yes they can.

For Chia's sake, they're the same age, yet weren't given the same opportunity to develop until Holland, and Pulju had a good year. Pulju still has great tools for a skill player and his Finnish coach has had a great development plan for him. Nobody predicted Yamo to turn from a 0.7PPG player in the AHL into a 1.0PPG player on Drai's line upon callup this year; good development. Do the same for Pulju and we have some real potential.

Kass is a great gritty 1RW option but should not be on our top line forever, only stints when needed. Nor should Archibald. Both excellent 3/4RW players. AA could work with McD, but as any Oiler fan will tell you we aren't hedging our bets and the money might not work (I have been really bullish on AA but would like an upgrade for McD). Neal is not fast enough to play 1LW long term. Everyone except Nuge and Yamo is a 3/4 line winger, and Pulju is our best long-term in-house bet to add to that; if we acquire a decent top 6 LW, and Pulju scrapes his top 6 potential, we are looking freaking amazing. Gotta try.

Thats fine but that idea that he can just coast onto the team and make the top 6 no fuss is just false.

Maybe two years ago when Chia was dithering with the Ty Rattie's of the world, but these days the Oilers do have some fire power on the wing. He will probably get a look with McDavid but its no given he beats out proven NHLers like Athansiou and if he's back even Ennis.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
This is how I see him too from the limited times I have watched him play. He looks like he is trying to stick handle opposite handed or his stick is twice as long as it should be. I was surprised at how crappy he was handling the puck for a draft pick taken so high. His other attributes are very good and hopefully he still gets a good shot to try to find his game and role .
Would there be anything from the Devils that Oiler fans would consider trading for JP?
I kmow there are numerous old threads on his value , but would something lie, Miles Wood plus a 3rd be enough ?
Butcher ?

Holland probably asks for Zacha. We’d add but I wouldn’t do it for Butcher

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
There was sort of a showdown to see who would blink first. Good on the Oilers for not indulging Puljujarvi! But it is possible there are no losers, here. Many promising players rush too soon their arrival to pro level. It can be even worse for European players who sometimes get a huge culture shock and homesick.

Puljujarvi was fourth in points and fifth goalscorer of the SM-liiga this season. He was the most productive player of Karpat, incidentally the best team in the league this season. Instead of being a rookie who relied on others, he was the forward teammate counted on. Some players need that more than others.

Maybe playing over there is putting him back on track to eventually be great NHL player instead of slowly fading away like some highly rated prospects do.

Reactions: FireGorton

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
There was sort of a showdown to see who would blink first. Good on the Oilers for not indulging Puljujarvi! But it is possible there are no losers, here. Many promising players rush too soon their arrival to pro level. It can be even worse for European players who sometimes get a huge culture shock and homesick.

Puljujarvi was fourth in points and fifth goalscorer of the SM-liiga this season. He was the most productive player of Karpat, incidentally the best team in the league this season. Instead of being a rookie who relied on others, he was the forward teammate counted on. Some players need that more than others.

Maybe playing over there is putting him back on track to eventually be great NHL player instead of slowly fading away like some highly rated prospects do.
I feel the same with Lias as culture shock and at that age immaturity issues

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
He probably can't, but Edmonton certainly can ;) He wasn't even the best-scoring Finnish player in Liiga last season! He was #4 behind other former AHLers like Julius Nättinen (0.22 PPG in 55 games with San Diego Gulls) and Justin Danforth (0.33 PPG in 21 games mostly with Rochester Americans).

Reactions: viceroy

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
I think he should probably stay in Finland for another year, wear that 'A', win scoring title and championship and then come over to NHL. Kärpät likely knows better how to develop him compared to Oilers. At least Kärpät is more willing develop him as a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad