TSN: Puljujarvi on potential return to Oilers: 'You can never say no'

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton Oilers restricted free agent forward Jesse Puljujarvi has backed off on his statement that he will never play again for the Oilers and is thinking of potentially returning.
“You can never say no," Puljujarvi told Finnish news outlet Tampere Iltalehti. "I have grown and I see things a little differently. There’s now a different GM and head coach out there. Build a winning team in Edmonton. It may be possible that I will still be playing there.”

Jesse Puljujarvi on potential return to Edmonton Oilers: 'You can never say no' - TSN.ca

Looks like trading Puljujarvi is less and less likely.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I see him as the Left wing on Draisatl's line. If he gets his one timer down he could be a threat for 10-15 goals and about 35 points. Draisatl alone give him that and if he has put together his game in Europe who knows maybe he can be a top 9 forward.

RNH Mcdavid Kassian
Puljujarvi(1.5m) Drasiatl Yamamoto
AA Sheahan(1 year 1.5m) Archibald
Neal Khaira Chaisson

Haas, Nyguard

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He’s saving face. He knows Edmonton controls his future in the NHL, whether than means playing for them or them trading him, it makes sense to try to reach out and repair things from his side so he can come back to the nhl, which is obviously his goal.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The would mind him returning to the team on the 3rd line if he’s ready to commit to doing what’s needed to be in the NHL

AA - Sheahan - Puljujarvi

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I am not sure I don't like Haas there better. That line would Fly.

I like Haas too but I think he’s the 13 forward. Least until we do something with 1 of Kharia, Neal and Chiasson. Archibald is getting a spot and Benson will be competing too.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Unless he feels like playing the next 5 years in Euro to become a UFA returning to Edmonton may be a good bet. Unless he was having issues with the players I don’t see why returning would be a problem. New coaching and new management can do wonders for a young player

Reactions: JabbaJabba

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
6’4”, terrific skater for his size, great athleticism, excellent hustle and a pretty good shot. He’s just 22, there’s NHL potential there, for sure.

On the other hand, I’ve never been impressed by his hands/puck control, he’s not very good at operating in tight spaces/close checking. Hockey IQ doesn’t seem great to me either, and not very physical for such a big dude.

Still, I think his strengths are enough to make him a middle 6 winger, if he develops well from here on out. I can certainly see him becoming a Benoit Pouliot type, maybe better. Hope he returns to the NHL at some point.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Puljujarvi has to realize his road map for success in Edmonton has already been laid out by Leon Draisaitl. A bumpy developmental start, get in your reps and get going.

I wouldn't really compare the two development paths.

Draisaitl was too good for jr and not eligible to play in the AHL. As bad as it may look from the outside I can't fault the team for how they handled him other than maybe not sending him to the world jrs.

Puljujarvi on the other hand should've followed the Rantanen model and didn't because ?

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I see him as the Left wing on Draisatl's line. If he gets his one timer down he could be a threat for 10-15 goals and about 35 points. Draisatl alone give him that and if he has put together his game in Europe who knows maybe he can be a top 9 forward.

RNH Mcdavid Kassian
Neal Khaira Chaisson

Haas, Nyguard

He's never played left wing and has enough issues to work through already without converting to a new position.

Not every player is Draisaitl and you can just play them everywhere.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Wonder is Seattle will take him? Got basically 1 year to prove himself in the NHL if he comes back.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Wonder is Seattle will take him? Got basically 1 year to prove himself in the NHL if he comes back.
If he comes back and plays well he would be protected.

McDavid
Draisaitl
RNH/XXX - if he resigns first.
Kassian
Puljujarvi

Klefbom
Nurse
Bear

Koskinen

IIRC those are the only main players that need to be protected right now

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I wouldn't really compare the two development paths.

Draisaitl was too good for jr and not eligible to play in the AHL. As bad as it may look from the outside I can't fault the team for how they handled him other than maybe not sending him to the world jrs.

Puljujarvi on the other hand should've followed the Rantanen model and didn't because ?
The only reason Draisaitl wasn't sent down to start the season was because of the program he was on, he was sent down instantly after being traded to Kelowna.

Draisaitl is also the exception, and not the norm, most players dont go from putting up 9 points in 37 games and then going on to put up 110 in 70 games.

Whens the last time a player did that poorly and performed that well later on? Joe Thornton?

Saving face since Holland won’t trade him.
It's nice finally having a GM who doesn't cave to everything the players want.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

RNH Mcdavid Kassian
Neal Khaira Chaisson

Haas, Nyguard
I think we would be better off having Yammamoto play his offwing, alot smarter than Puljujarvi. Although Puljujarvi being a potential one time option on that line would be interesting to say the least.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Well, I guess someone explained that RFA/UFA thing to him..
But it's certainly good for the Oilers, let's see how he looks in next seasons camp and I'm sure Holland has his own idea about Pulju aswell.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
clubs are starting to get smart about their leverage in response to players getting smart about their own. the flight risk path is a dangerous dance, because it's unlikely you'll be able to increase your value substantially without playing in the league. teams allowing players to go play in europe and keeping their rights is the way to play these situations as opposed to caving and trading them for cents on the dollar. especially with a player who has shown uneven development and could perhaps even use some time in a lesser league to really stretch their legs. there are a few teams with this situation right now and they're doing the same thing. lias andersson with the rangers.

knock yourself out if you want to push your free agent clock back on yourself and waste a year of your prime hockey without building towards your next contract. when the bridge deal disappeared and the league went entirely towards merit pay, it became exponentially more silly to stop the clock. if you want out of a bad situation, play out of it.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Unless he feels like playing the next 5 years in Euro to become a UFA returning to Edmonton may be a good bet. Unless he was having issues with the players I don’t see why returning would be a problem. New coaching and new management can do wonders for a young player
You think players will respect him in dressing room after what he did?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad