TSN: Puljujarvi on potential return to Oilers: 'You can never say no'

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Why would the Oilers do this? Pajuniemi is far less than Puljujarvi in every skill set and every physical attribute... with far less upside. Makes zero sense for the Oilers to do that.

it was kind of a joke, I think that trade is not good for either team. Lauri scored 26 goals in 49 games and is younger and cheaper.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
it was kind of a joke, I think that trade is not good for either team. Lauri scored 26 goals in 49 games and is younger and cheaper.

Thanks for the clarification.

Younger, yes.

Cheaper, not by much ...JP will probably get a 1 or 2 year, $1m AAV contract.

Still a ‘no’.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He’s young. Wouldn’t be the first time a young man made a stupid choice of words initially.

I figured some time in Suomi would be good for him. We own his rights until 2025.

The kid needed to grow up and mature. Learn English as well, another year or two over there wouldn’t hurt either. He’s responsible for how his story ends. The potential has always been there.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Has there been any further word of what Holland is looking for in exchange for Puljujarvi?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
That’s what I thought. I don’t think he’s going to get it. Maybe two second rounders or a second rounder and a bottom-sixer. I’m sure Dave Tippett would like to upgrade the bottom six with guys to better play his system.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That’s what I thought. I don’t think he’s going to get it. Maybe two second rounders or a second rounder and a bottom-sixer. I’m sure Dave Tippett would like to upgrade the bottom six with guys to better play his system.
I see JP traded for another team’s stalled higher pick prospect/player.

Reactions: Mosby

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Last time I remember he was asking for at least a 1st.
Sort of not really, been reported by Friedman, and the only actually legit person I’ve seen it from that he was asking for 2nd and a B level prospect. Friedman reported that some of the prospects offered last offseason were Alex Volkov, TBay, Julien Gauthier(Car at the time), and Klim Kostin,STL, but that wasn’t quite enough to get Holland to bite.

Don’t really blame him, think you’ll get a third line player out of Pulju, and he can step in next year at 22. With the potential to go up the lineup. All of those are still question marks.

Holland has said before he wants a similar prospect, a top pick, at the time still under 22, who has struggled to adjust to the NHL. IMO Casey Middelstadt is borderline equal in value.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Holland probably wanted to flip Pulju for Athanasiou at the deadline.
Not sure what he is looking for now.

Probably depends in how deep tha Oilers go and what holes are.exposed.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The quote doesn't inspire confidence that he will return as an Oiler.

I also don't think he will garner much in a trade, as talented as he is. I'd take a stab at rehabilitating him, but my hopes wouldn't be high to get that dominant scorer Edmonton was promised.

And just so I'm not accused of playing favorites or anything, I think the same thing about Andersson, Juolevi and a number of other players drafted highly that haven't shown up at the level their teams hoped for. They simply aren't shiny pieces in a trade, more of a throw in, lottery ticket style asset.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Edmonton wasnt promised anything.
You just luck out with some guys and others bust.
Pulju isnt one yet but would enter bust territory if he struggles next season.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I see him as the Left wing on Draisatl's line. If he gets his one timer down he could be a threat for 10-15 goals and about 35 points.

10-15 goals? Heck I could get that. I'd just stand in front of the net and let Leon and Yamamoto bounce pucks off my melon or my fat ass.

Well he was speaking Finnish, so no, he didn’t mangle anything.

That kid still hasn't learned English?

Never saying never is one thing... being willing to sign for something like a league minimum salary is the next hurdle. He doesn't make that in Finland, but there are probably other places that he could play which would pay a more competitive salary.

I don't believe there's anywhere in the world where he'd get more than that. The KHL ain't what it used to be, the big money is reserved for a handful of genuine stars and the money isn't always guaranteed.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I have no idea, but even if he has, is there a reason he'd use it speaking in Finland to a Finnish newspaper? :loony:

Didn't know that info came directly from a Finnish interview. Oft-times local papers will reprint articles about local stars even if they were originally done in another language.

Oh and putting in that emoji wasn't very nice. Even a bit mean spirited in my book.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
What got Jesse to change his mind ?
Personally i can't respect a guy who changes his opinions
and mind as often as construction-worker socks.

If you have some opinion keep that original opinion
and don’t be a shit and change your mind at the next traffic lights.

If i was part of Edmonton Oilers NHL team i wouldn't welcome Puljujärvi back with open arms.
Good luck to next try in NHL Pulju.
I dont know how old you are but I'm sure glad I dont have the same beliefs and opinions as I did as a 19/20 year old

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

brenden

Jul 17, 2010
I see him as the Left wing on Draisatl's line. If he gets his one timer down he could be a threat for 10-15 goals and about 35 points. Draisatl alone give him that and if he has put together his game in Europe who knows maybe he can be a top 9 forward.

RNH Mcdavid Kassian
Puljujarvi(1.5m) Drasiatl Yamamoto
AA Sheahan(1 year 1.5m) Archibald
Neal Khaira Chaisson

Haas, Nyguard
That’s not exactly high hopes for him. I think if he comes and plays in the NHL he’ll get 35 points. Right now he’s at worst a 3rd line NHL player.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Didn't know that info came directly from a Finnish interview. Oft-times local papers will reprint articles about local stars even if they were originally done in another language.

Oh and putting in that emoji wasn't very nice. Even a bit mean spirited in my book.
Geez man this is HF if you go into the corners be prepared to be hit!

Reactions: Homesick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad