Value of: Puljujarvi ++ for your established winger

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Considering Nicholson has no expertise I'm not sure what difference that would make.

He’s Katzes right hand and if what we’re hearing is true the only reason McLellan is still employed is we came back in the third to beat Winnipeg.

It’s only a matter of time for Todd... and if a coaching change doesn’t work, Chiarelli is next.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not what you’re asking for but I’d offer Ceci if you’re keen to dump the guy.

We’re already having enough trouble with Benning, I don’t think we need another one.

No Oiler fan wants to dump Puljujarvi. Some of us would move him for a current top six winger with term. Some of us are sick of seeing this organization dick around every young prospect that isn’t from Moose Jaw or Flin Flon.

Kirill Maksimov is on a goal per game pace in the OHL and he couldn’t even get into a preseason game. Didn’t get a powerplay sniff in intrasquad games.

We really don’t seem to know what to do with anyone drafted outside of North America. Even the guys we do develop like Klefbom is almost done accidentally.

Reactions: 780il

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Take a look at the Pulj thread on the Oiler forum and you’ll see everything you need to know. The fans are pushing him out of town faster than you can blink, calling him low IQ Yakupov 2.0. Personally, I agree. I just don’t see a player with upside here. Makes stupid plays most of the time, skates like Bambi, just wildly inconsistent for his draft position and what he supposedly did before his draft.
Skating is a strong suit of Pulju and is far more solid on his skates than most players his age, he also is substantially better defensively than Yakupov and provides solid forecheck pressure.

The only edge I'd give Yak over Pulju, is I think Yak's desire to be successful was higher, but it seemed to come with a level of jittery energy where he was trying to force things and couldn't slow things down to let plays open up for him. In Yak it seemed like he'd either work out in a top 6 role or he'd wash out, Pulju has the framework of being a good roleplayer even if he does fall short of being a top 6 forward, though even as a role player his consistency needs to be elevated.

The common trait I see that runs through both is they both were very raw and neither spoke english very well at first and both frustrated our coaching staff at the speed with which they picked up concepts and made adjustments asked of them.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Man after reading the draft threads and seeing EDM fans shit on the CBJ and our fans for the PLD pick this thread warms my heart a bit. I feel bad for the kid because being taken that high and busting is probably a confidence killer for most of his life but maybe he can still form a career as a 3rd line scorer at like 10g a year.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Man after reading the draft threads and seeing EDM fans **** on the CBJ and our fans for the PLD pick this thread warms my heart a bit. I feel bad for the kid because being taken that high and busting is probably a confidence killer for most of his life but maybe he can still form a career as a 3rd line scorer at like 10g a year.

No worry man, he is still taking home a cool 1M/yr for doing nothing.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Man after reading the draft threads and seeing EDM fans **** on the CBJ and our fans for the PLD pick this thread warms my heart a bit. I feel bad for the kid because being taken that high and busting is probably a confidence killer for most of his life but maybe he can still form a career as a 3rd line scorer at like 10g a year.

... he’s already that, now. Why would that be his upside?

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I'd take him for Toffoli or Pearson

I know Kings fans are on Toffoli's ass about scoring (he's tied for the lead in goals and 2nd in points) but come on man! Pool party can't even find his offensive game on Edmonton and you think he can find it on LA in our tire fire on offense. Give me a break. This is a grass is always greener though process that will screw the Kings. For the past 2 seasons pool party has been scoring at the pace of Lewis, and you want to trade Toffoli for him?

Pool party doesn't help the Kings at all right now. Down the line maybe but not at this moment. You would give up the 2nd best winger on the Kings for a more offensively gifted Lewis. Wow!

Edit: and don't get me wrong...I'd love to have pool party over Lewis but not a the cost of Toffoli or Pearson. He hasn't proven that much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RedHot

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm pretty sure there are very few teams who would trade their established top-6 winger for a package around a prospect that is looking extremely questionable right now, and even fewer that would trade a younger than 26, cost controlled winger for that.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
... he’s already that, now. Why would that be his upside?
Didnt say his upside just saying his likely career path. Upside is somehow overcome what he is and develop into a better player and end up on McDavids line where he produces insane numbers he could never hit without the 2nd best C in the league.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
A Sprong for Puljujarvi seems reasonable. New scenery for both could be nice.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Pretty big red flag that Edmonton fans are trying to ditch a winger two years removed from a top 5 pick for a winger for their top-6.

Wouldn’t trade anything for Puljujarvi more than an equally disappointing D or wing prospect.

Reactions: Dijock94

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Didnt say his upside just saying his likely career path. Upside is somehow overcome what he is and develop into a better player and end up on McDavids line where he produces insane numbers he could never hit without the 2nd best C in the league.

Your bias is showing.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Who'd you mean then? Crosby?
Lol I dont want to start an argument because Im in the vast minority. Ill just type out my top 3 C and be done with it just know none of my top 3 C are on my favorite team as a matter of fact 2 of the 3 teams are among my least favorite teams in the league. In no particular order McDavid, Mathews, and Kuznetsov.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
I mean Drouin/Gally are unavailable and if they were available, it would require puljujarvi and a big +.
Tatar fits most of what you want (27 yo, top 6 forward, goalscorer, not a big contract with 4.8 mil for 3 years) and wouldn't require a big + like the other 2 would. I would do tatar straight up for puljujarvi.

Tatar is only 1 year older than Gallagher, so its not a big difference in age.

Exactly, at this point Puljujarvi is not enticing enough as the principal piece coming back for those 2

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
What top 6 winger would you give up from your team for a package that includes Puljujarvi?

Preference for a right shot, goal scorer, younger than 26. But we just need a top 6 winger for Drai, these things don't matter too much.

If your player has a high salary then Sekera will need to be sent back.

I would also look at a young player for young player change of scenery type deal. For example, Pulju for Dylan Strome.

Pulju and a 3rd for Ho-Sang and Hickey . . .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm sure you would.

We want Drouin/Gally for Pulju ++ if we trade with the Habs.

You can't afford the ++ on top of Poolparty if you want Drouin or Gallagher.

Pulju is a young player not trending well (0.29 pts/game in 99 NHL games). Pro rates to 24 pts a year ish. He is getting opportunity in the top 6 too. Very disappointing. To put things in perspective, Scherbak on the Habs has similar stats and he doesn't even play in a consistent top 6 role in the 29 games he has played.

The trade value on Puljujarvi is not good. Either keep him and hope he gets better or dump him for whatever you can get at this stage. If you want value in return, you have to start talking about the ++ in the trade offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grabner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad