Value of: Puljujarvi ++ for your established winger

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
You can't afford the ++ on top of Poolparty if you want Drouin or Gallagher.

Pulju is a young player not trending well (0.29 pts/game in 99 NHL games). Pro rates to 24 pts a year ish. He is getting opportunity in the top 6 too. Very disappointing. To put things in perspective, Scherbak on the Habs has similar stats and he doesn't even play in a consistent top 6 role in the 29 games he has played.

The trade value on Puljujarvi is not good. Either keep him and hope he gets better or dump him for whatever you can get at this stage. If you want value in return, you have to start talking about the ++ in the trade offer.

He is hardly getting much of a look there. Yamamoto is getting the primo ice time. When Puljujarvi played with RNH and McDavid in Winnipeg he scored the tying goal. Just sayin'

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He is hardly getting much of a look there. Yamamoto is getting the primo ice time. When Puljujarvi played with RNH and McDavid in Winnipeg he scored the tying goal. Just sayin'

He is playing top 6 in the games I watched and typically with Drai. The idea that he has not been giving opportunity is not something I support. His trade value is terrible considering the Oilers prefer to get a solid asset for this former 4th OA pick. He needs a good season this year at age 20! 1 goal in 6 games with no assists is not a good start. Heck he only has 5 pts in 10 AHL games last year too. He is trending towards dissapointment

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
He is playing top 6 in the games I watched and typically with Drai. The idea that he has not been giving opportunity is not something I support. His trade value is terrible considering the Oilers prefer to get a solid asset for this former 4th OA pick. He needs a good season this year at age 20! 1 goal in 6 games with no assists is not a good start. Heck he only has 5 pts in 10 AHL games last year too. He is trending towards dissapointment

I am totally in favor of Edmonton holding onto Puljujarvi. Let him play 82 games in the top 6 and if he doesn't run with that opportunity I'll re-evaluate my assessment of this player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I am totally in favor of Edmonton holding onto Puljujarvi. Let him play 82 games in the top 6 and if he doesn't run with that opportunity I'll re-evaluate my assessment of this player.

It's the smart move at this stage. Hope he matures in his age 20 season and gains confidence as the season moves along. Getting anything for him right now is a massive stretch.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

You choose between Gallagher and Drouin and you give us your 2019 1st unprotected on top of Puljujarvi. We can take Sekera as a cap dump to male it work for you guys.

So Drouin/Gallagher
for
2019 1st (unprotected), Puljujarvi and Sekera

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Right now Puljujarvi's trade value is going to be really bad. No general manager is going to put a whole bunch of value on him. He didn't look good last year, he wasn't great in the AHL, and this year he has 1 goal in 6 games while his ice time at the start of the season was about 10 minutes and he's had 16 minute games and against Nashville played 14 minutes. When you watch him play you really have to squint your eyes to see him.

Has he earned top 6 time? When I've watched him play, not really.

Any trade is going to be at far less value then Oiler fans want to get for him, which is another struggling player, or a draft pick, or a at least decent but not stellar prospect.

The bottom line is that the Oilers should hold onto him, foster him and hope that he eventually breaks out.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
He's starting to look more and more like Jesse Yakupov.

I'd trade him in a heartbeat if some other gm still had faith in him. But I doubt that's the case.
This kid just doesn't get it. All the skill and talent. But he reminds me so much of Yakupov in that he has no idea where the puck is going.. where his teammates are going etc.

Cherry Picker

Sep 29, 2011
What top 6 winger would you give up from your team for a package that includes Puljujarvi?

Preference for a right shot, goal scorer, younger than 26. But we just need a top 6 winger for Drai, these things don't matter too much.

If your player has a high salary then Sekera will need to be sent back.

I would also look at a young player for young player change of scenery type deal. For example, Pulju for Dylan Strome.

To Leafs for Connor Brown and d prospect Neilson.

Oilers pair Brown up with McDavid as the 2-way forechecking presence and keep RNH on the left side.

Leafs would have the luxury to send Pul to the AHL for the majority of this season to get his game back. Would be nice to inject his size into the lineup.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
With all due respect, there is not a team in the NHL that is going to give up a top six forward for a bust like puljujarvi.

Edmonton took the wrong player at the draft. I still cannot believe they took him over Matt.
Every GM in the league would have taken him at 4, so quit trying to pump your own tires.

The fact you call him a bust just goes to show you're only trying to get a reaction and having nothing legitimate to add to the discussion.

There's no such thing as a 20 year old bust. In any sport, on any continent. Go try knitting.

Reactions: 780il

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Lol I dont want to start an argument because Im in the vast minority. Ill just type out my top 3 C and be done with it just know none of my top 3 C are on my favorite team as a matter of fact 2 of the 3 teams are among my least favorite teams in the league. In no particular order McDavid, Mathews, and Kuznetsov.

That's a bold statement, Cotton.

Off-topic I know, but what exactly makes you put Kuznetsov ahead of Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Kopitar, Bergeron, etc? I mean he's certainly good but you lost me.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Their 2019 1st would be though

At this point, if they add a Gallagher/Drouin, they could very well end up in the playoffs. But, yes Puuljujarvi + 1st should be enough.... but if we're trading a good player without getting a left D back, I don't think I would do it.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
MTL:
Puljujärvi, Jesse
Sekera, Andrej
Oilers 2019 3rd rd pick

EDM:
Armia, Joel
Scherbak, Nikita
Benn, Jordie

Net impact for Edmonton is cap savings (3.813M AAV rather than 6.425M AAV), they get out of a contract on defense quicker (Benn really is just a plug to be your 6/7th D with an expiring contract this year), and get 2 young right-handed right-wingers.

Montreal gets younger, drops a contract, uses its cap space, gets an early 3rd round pick, and hopes Pulju can turn it around whilst having a potential pairing guy for Weber if Sekera ever becomes healthy again.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
That's a bold statement, Cotton.

Off-topic I know, but what exactly makes you put Kuznetsov ahead of Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Kopitar, Bergeron, etc? I mean he's certainly good but you lost me.
To be fair I was going to do top 4 and Malkin was in there tied with Kuzy if that helps but Ive liked him a few seasons now and he has slowly grown into what I feel is a guy I would want on my team as the 1c. And after last years playoffs at times he just told them get on his back amd took over. So basically I watched him since he was a rookie and he is in my division so I see him a lot (plus they have a lot of games on tv not against my team) and those 3 are the ones age and skill wise that no matter what they are doing I always wish they had on union blue on.

Guys like Kopitar and Bergeron are getting old and are going to the wayside. I honest to god always had Malkin better the sid. And JT is good but I hes #2 on his own team. There are guys like Keller Id love to see get there and guys like tyler Johnson who will never get the credit they deserve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad