Value of: Puljujarvi ++ for your established winger

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
Why hasnt this been locked? It's been 7 pages of really stupid people saying really stupid shit in an attempt to illicit even dumber arguments.

20 year old kid is a bust derpy derp X7 pages.
Seriously. Moderate something worth moderating.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
You choose between Gallagher and Drouin and you give us your 2019 1st unprotected on top of Puljujarvi. We can take Sekera as a cap dump to male it work for you guys.

So Drouin/Gallagher
for
2019 1st (unprotected), Puljujarvi and Sekera

Nobody does unprotected 1sts after the Ottawa debacle, and very rarely even before that. Give your head a shake.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Why hasnt this been locked? It's been 7 pages of really stupid people saying really stupid **** in an attempt to illicit even dumber arguments.

It's not unthinkable that a 20 year old can bust. Yak busted when he was 20 give or take. It happens, so chill.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
It's not unthinkable that a 20 year old can bust. Yak busted when he was 20 give or take. It happens, so chill.

Oiler fans are the first to devour any player they don't feel is playing up to their contract or isn't trying hard enough (in their view). Most Edmonton fans feel Puljujarvi hasn't been given a fair shake so far and has a lot more to offer the team if used correctly. The idea that he is a bust only comes from people outside the city who don't follow the team. Maybe we aren't the only ones who should chill.

If he plays 82 games this year and in a top 6 role for the most part I think a lot of our questions will be answered.

Just my two cents.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Nobody does unprotected 1sts after the Ottawa debacle, and very rarely even before that. Give your head a shake.

What Ottawa debacle?

The Sens protected their 1st, and used that protected 1st to draft Tkachuk.

Edit: Bobby Ryan, it came to me.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
As bad as our GM is yours might be worse. Not likely Bergevin takes advantage of anyone, even Chia. Maybe we'll get your unprotected 1st.

Bergevin isn't worse than Chiarelli, thank god. He's bad, but at least he's made several good moves as well.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Would Edmonton fans be interested in Andrew Shaw?
He doesn't provide enough value relative to his cap-hit I wouldn't put in a claim on him if he hit the waiver wire, if you are talking about him as a return for Puljujarvi that is completely outside of the realm of possibility.

Reactions: TFHockey

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He was the consensus #3 and fell on their lap at #4. Everyone thought the Oilers were the big winners there...we can't blame them for that pick.

Just like Yakupov.

Seriously why dont they just play him with MacDavid and get him some confidence? Put RNH beside Drai and let that pairing take the hard ice time.

Reactions: TFHockey and 780il

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Why hasnt this been locked? It's been 7 pages of really stupid people saying really stupid **** in an attempt to illicit even dumber arguments.

He's certainly trending towards being a bust.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
You're right, it's not unthinkable. It's impossible.

Imagine if all the NHL GM's and coaches gave up on all the 19-20 year old kids they drafted like these forums do. There wouldn't be any prospects for anyone because 80% of them are busts after a year or two playing in a league with fully grown men while they're still kids.

Anthony Mantha immediately comes to my mind. Good thing the Red Wings don't think like you guys do or they would have terminated a total gem.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Oiler fans are the first to devour any player they don't feel is playing up to their contract or isn't trying hard enough (in their view). Most Edmonton fans feel Puljujarvi hasn't been given a fair shake so far and has a lot more to offer the team if used correctly. The idea that he is a bust only comes from people outside the city who don't follow the team. Maybe we aren't the only ones who should chill.

If he plays 82 games this year and in a top 6 role for the most part I think a lot of our questions will be answered.

Just my two cents.
Ya we heard the same thing about Yak from the same crowd.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
You're right, it's not unthinkable. It's impossible.

Imagine if all the NHL GM's and coaches gave up on all the 19-20 year old kids they drafted like these forums do. There wouldn't be any prospects for anyone because 80% of them are busts after a year or two playing in a league with fully grown men while they're still kids.

Anthony Mantha immediately comes to my mind. Good thing the Red Wings don't think like you guys do or they would have terminated a total gem.
You say it's impossible, I literally just gave you an example of a player busting at 20. Are you thick?

Daigle is another example of a player busting hard at a young age. After blowing away the numbers post draft, he went on to put up a career high of 51 points at age 21. It was all down hill after that and quickly. Traded the very next season and bounced around until he was out.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
You say it's impossible, I literally just gave you an example of a player busting at 20. Are you thick?

Daigle is another example of a player busting hard at a young age. After blowing away the numbers post draft, he went on to put up a career high of 51 points at age 21. It was all down hill after that and quickly. Traded the very next season and bounced around until he was out.
There are no examples of kids busting at age 20, so your example (Yakupov) is moot. If you want to put a cap on how many games you have to play and how many points you have to put up in said number of games before you're 20 to not be considered a bust, you go right ahead. Maybe it'll help me understand how you and a lot of other people throw this word around at kids who have hardly had a fair shake in the league at all.

51 points as a 21 year old isnt bad at all. If JP puts up 51 points this year as a 20 year old, is he still a 'bust'? Or do we reassess the term year to year based on results?

Last edited:

Ementy

May 11, 2010

Just my two cents.
There is no way Pool won't get better, it's not like he is playing bad hockey and you see the skill, speed and size when he is on the ice, he just needs some bounces and in Pre season he was really dominant and poised above all the other prospects. I think it is like Drai in the start of his career, Mc David was around and everybody asked Drai questions about Mc David instead of asking questions about Drais career. There is no spotlight and I am sure that affects confidence, being highly touted and all. They are playing on different ice sizes in a foreign land new to the NHL right after being drafted. I think it just needs to click and it is off from there.

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->