News Article: Published on 03/08/2021 AUTHOR Mark Easson Maple Leafs looking at Nick Foligno?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Published on03/08/2021
AUTHOR

Mark Easson
Maple Leafs looking at Nick Foligno?

Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: The Toronto Maple Leafs are looking for a top-six forward before the April 12th NHL trade deadline. If they can find a winger for John Tavares and William Nylander, it would allow them to keep Zach Hyman on the third line.
The Maple Leafs don’t have any salary cap space. Columbus Blue Jackets forward Nick Foligno’s name keeping coming up. The Leafs would need to include salary plus asset(s) – maybe Alex Kerfoot and one or Rasmus Sandin or Timothy Liljegren, or Nick Robertson, or an early round pick.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I dont think that Robertson or Sandin or Lilly would need to be included in any deal for Foligno. There are other prospects and picks that can be included along with Kerfoot as a salary needs to head out.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Kerfoot is cheaper, younger, can play both center and wing, is outproducing Foligno, and has two years remaining... Not really sure why we'd be adding a Robertson/Sandin level prospect.
Because Foligno pushed us around rink in play in last summer like a little school girl ... it takes a Foligno and a Simmonds and a Hyman and a Muzzy and Bogo to win when hockey counts ... small ice man on man tough hockey wins in playoffs

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Kerfoot + either Sandin/Lily + Robertson/1st rounder for Foligno

To me Kerfoot + Lily + our 2021 1st rounder I would do it yesterday (2021 is worst draft class ever except for pick #1)

But i would keep Sandin and Robertson as they will both by NHLers

Why are you giving up so much more than we gave up for a better player in Muzzin that wasn't a rental?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
If nick Foligno was 2011 Rick Nash signed with term I'd deal

Kerfoot + Sandin +2021 1st

Considering he is old and a UFA I'd deal kerfoot+2nd at best.

Honestly I like kerfoot vs the Oilers quite a bit. Not sure if I want to move him when his play has been solid

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
For what it's worth, Foligno's Dad came to the Leafs near the end of his career and was a key part of our playoff run in 1993.

He's got the right genes.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Liljegren is our best prospect imo. None of those three should be moved for Foligno. That's an absurd price
Disagree hes 3rd at best rn

Being older he needs to outplay sandin and robertson both by a lot to pull ahead and so far he hasnt done that. He is a A- prospect while the other two are A. Amirov I'm not sure cuz hes in the KHL so havent checked him really.

But agree that you dint trade lilijgren for Foligno

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario

To me Kerfoot + Lily + our 2021 1st rounder I would do it yesterday (2021 is worst draft class ever except for pick #1)

Yeah I’d trade our first this year any day of the week if that means we keep the 2022 1st round pick which looks like a stacked class.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Kerf + Lilly/Robertson/sandin/Amirov +1st is what you start as an offer to go get a legit player like Forsberg, not foligno.
Idk how much I’m adding onto kerfoot for Foligno considering contract situations. Kerfoot is a useful player. Who’s working towards increasing his trade value.
The numbers show kerfoot has been better than Kadri since the deal, would you trade naz for foligno?

Reactions: Voodoo Child

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
To TOR: W N.Foligno, C R.Nash
To CBJ: C A.Kerfoot, 1st round pick, 3rd round pick

This could give us 2 different interesting looks:

Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Engvall-Hyman
Simmons-Nash-Spezza

Or

Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Nylander-Tavares-Spezza
Mikheyev-Engvall-Hyman
Foligno-Nash-Simmonds

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Disagree hes 3rd at best rn

Being older he needs to outplay sandin and robertson both by a lot to pull ahead and so far he hasnt done that. He is a A- prospect while the other two are A. Amirov I'm not sure cuz hes in the KHL so havent checked him really.

But agree that you dint trade lilijgren for Foligno
Over the last 2 seasons he is actually outproducing Sandin with the Marlies by ppg while being a lot better defensively. Robertson has a case for being better but is significantly less proven against pro competition.

Reactions: stickty111

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Says early draft choice. I would not give them our 1st. If the draft is that bad, the first is the one I would want. The rest are a crap shoot.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Steve Simmons is an idiot.

Not sure how he still has a job.

He is but it just adds more fuel to the fact that the Leafs are looking for a top 6 forward (hopefully in the mold of Hyman). I believe you dissed Freidman and Dreger for reporting the same thing last week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad