News Article: Published on 03/08/2021 AUTHOR Mark Easson Maple Leafs looking at Nick Foligno?

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Kerfoot is cheaper, younger, can play both center and wing, is outproducing Foligno, and has two years remaining... Not really sure why we'd be adding a Robertson/Sandin level prospect.

This... so many fans seem hell bent on expending every single asset to acquire a deadline player. Sure lets toss in sandin and Robertson alone with a 1st for a aging vet. Madness

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This... so many fans seem hell bent on expending every single asset to acquire a deadline player. Sure lets toss in sandin and Robertson alone with a 1st for a aging vet. Madness
:laugh: Makes no difference what fans want to do. Dubas will do the right thing.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Published on03/08/2021
AUTHOR

Mark Easson
Maple Leafs looking at Nick Foligno?

Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun: The Toronto Maple Leafs are looking for a top-six forward before the April 12th NHL trade deadline. If they can find a winger for John Tavares and William Nylander, it would allow them to keep Zach Hyman on the third line.
The Maple Leafs don’t have any salary cap space. Columbus Blue Jackets forward Nick Foligno’s name keeping coming up. The Leafs would need to include salary plus asset(s) – maybe Alex Kerfoot and one or Rasmus Sandin or Timothy Liljegren, or Nick Robertson, or an early round pick.

LMAO...no Steve, no they wouldn't.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
If we don't make a move, I won't be that upset. We have guys like Galchenyuk and Robertson sitting down there waiting. Galchenyuk has shown he's an NHL caliber player down there too. We have good depth. And Simmonds returning. I'd like to add another grit piece, but price is huge. Wouldn't overpay that's for sure. I'd still be up for a Bennett for Kerfoot type move though

Reactions: Confucius

TopProspect91

Registered Abuser
Sep 11, 2004
Toronto
Kerf + Lilly/Robertson/sandin/Amirov +1st is what you start as an offer to go get a legit player like Forsberg, not foligno.
Idk how much I’m adding onto kerfoot for Foligno considering contract situations. Kerfoot is a useful player. Who’s working towards increasing his trade value.
The numbers show kerfoot has been better than Kadri since the deal, would you trade naz for foligno?
Excuse me - Kerfoot’s numbers have been better than Kadri’s? Naz has outproduced Kerfoot in both seasons since the trade and I won’t even bring up playoff numbers.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Those proposed packages are absurd! WTF!?!

Right!?!? Jesus we aren’t trading for a superstar here, we are literally trading for an expendable piece to add grit to the second line (and to take a little pressure off of Simmonds being the only physical guy)
Let’s reign in the undervaluation of our guys...in a normal year foligno on an expiring contract goes for Kerfoot with a year remaining straight up if not with CLB adding a tiny sweetener to it...
He isn’t gonna resign here and he will literally be a rental...stop trying to overpay for a dime a dozen winger lol (and yes foligno is dime a dozen he does nothing great but is a good NHL’er)

And if Kekkolainen wants that much for him I’d laugh at him and hang up the phone...lots of willing partners out there we shouldn’t overpay unless we are getting something above average who can be resigned at a low cap hit for multiple years and really makes us better

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Haven't read this thread so it may have been mentioned but UFA Mark Stone was traded for Brannstrom + 2nd with a handshake deal on an extension.

If you live in a world where Mark Stone and Nick Foligno have the sale value, then yes Liljegren or Sandin will need to be included. Steve Simmons lives in a world where non-existent hot dog stands are visited and he sends suggestive tweets to females thinking he's in the DMs.

dm2.png

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
A doubt Columbus would trade their captain. From a Leafs perspective I'd do Foligno (2m retained) for Kerfoot straight up. Foligno could be a good defensive & physical middle 6 forward with really good character; could play anywhere in the lineup. The talk of sending off 1st round picks or prospects like Robertson or Sandin though is a load of crap; seems like click bait because this was a pretty brutal take.

Reactions: Crosbyfan

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
So we want a guy who is 33 years old, with 1 season with 70 pts, 2 season with 50 pts, and the rest of his career with 30 pts. Oh and he would cost a roster player, and 1 of our top 3 prospects. Sounds like we should be giving up all 3 of Lilly, Robby, and Sandin for this type of player.

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
A doubt Columbus would trade their captain. From a Leafs perspective I'd do Foligno (2m retained) for Kerfoot straight up. Foligno could be a good defensive & physical middle 6 forward with really good character; could play anywhere in the lineup. The talk of sending off 1st round picks or prospects like Robertson or Sandin though is a load of crap; seems like click bait because this was a pretty brutal take.

I feel like people get confused between Nick Foligno and Marcus Foligno. Nick Foligno is not a good defensive player (at least not anymore).

In all honesty, if he even brings a Wayne Simmonds impact, I would be surprised. Wayne Simmonds went for a conditional 5th round pick that went up to a 4th if Buffalo made the playoffs last year.

That's his value. Both had ~5 mill cap hits. Both provide the same kind of overall value. If Columbus gets more, good for them. He's not worth it.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I feel like people get confused between Nick Foligno and Marcus Foligno. Nick Foligno is not a good defensive player (at least not anymore).

In all honesty, if he even brings a Wayne Simmonds impact, I would be surprised. Wayne Simmonds went for a conditional 5th round pick that went up to a 4th if Buffalo made the playoffs last year.

That's his value. Both had ~5 mill cap hits. Both provide the same kind of overall value. If Columbus gets more, good for them. He's not worth it.
No I didn't get them confused. Nick Foligno is a good defensive player, that guy Marcus is pretty good too.

Reactions: Crosbyfan

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Haven't read this thread so it may have been mentioned but UFA Mark Stone was traded for Brannstrom + 2nd with a handshake deal on an extension.

If you live in a world where Mark Stone and Nick Foligno have the sale value, then yes Liljegren or Sandin will need to be included. Steve Simmons lives in a world where non-existent hot dog stands are visited and he sends suggestive tweets to females thinking he's in the DMs.

dm2.png

Lmfao... that guy is a walking talking cluster f***. How has he NOT been cancelled yet...

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Those proposed packages are absurd! WTF!?!
Seriously. I want the last few pages of this thread to vanish. Forever. Awful stuff.

Like someone said, get Clifford for a 3rd and call it a day. Don't mess with team chemistry! Kerfoot is good. Just add one more gritty guy or an intense playoff sort of guy for the bottom 6.

For offense, Galchenyuk has stunk it up lately, but let's not forget, just 2 years ago, he had 19 goals. (and 5 years of 17-30 goals) Robertson and Anderson are options as well.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Wtf is this? Absolutely awful for the Leafs.

That type of package gets you a MUCH better player than Nick Foligno.
How many tough vet wingers who can forecheck and retrieve pucks, with size and enough skill to score a few playoff goals are out there?????????? Yes it is likely too much but we require that type of winger. Size, speed, forecheck skills, wall skills, net front skills and toughness. We need 1 of these types on every line for playoff hockey. He is a UFA in summer so it is a rental. Hyman Nick and Wayner 3 Toronto guys and all play similar type games. 1 will get injured too. So we need some backup.
Hyman Matty Mitch
Foligno JT Willy
Mik Engval Simmonds
Robertson Boyd Spezz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad