News Article: Published on 03/08/2021 AUTHOR Mark Easson Maple Leafs looking at Nick Foligno?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Lol at any of those prospects being moved for foligno.

But, foligno would be a good fit and I'm sure dubas has talked to them.

For once I agree with you Zeke, why do the Leafs in any trade proposal have to overpay for average players? One of our top prospects for Nick Potato Head Foligno?

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah I’d trade our first this year any day of the week if that means we keep the 2022 1st round pick which looks like a stacked class.
Agreed 2022 looks very promising ... if they asked for 2022 I would take a pass ... but unless we got 2021 1st OA pick and got Power I would trade any other pick in 2021 ... CLB likely knows this too ... when you look around league you can see no one hunting 2021 picks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Over the last 2 seasons he is actually outproducing Sandin with the Marlies by ppg while being a lot better defensively. Robertson has a case for being better but is significantly less proven against pro competition.
Sandin has been better at the NHL level though both had issues. Sandin is a bit younger and has had injuries last two years.

Lilijgren is steadier than sandin but sandin wows me more offensively and I think if Mo ends up walking he can play his role down the line while lilijgren plays Brodies role

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Agreed 2022 looks very promising ... if they asked for 2022 I would take a pass ... but unless we got 2021 1st OA pick and got Power I would trade any other pick in 2021 ... CLB likely knows this too ... when you look around league you can see no one hunting 2021 picks
But that is also why teams would be willing to trade the pick this year in order to get a good player to bolster their lineup. I also wouldn’t give up Power if we were at that spot.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If nick Foligno was 2011 Rick Nash signed with term I'd deal

Kerfoot + Sandin +2021 1st

Considering he is old and a UFA I'd deal kerfoot+2nd at best.

Honestly I like kerfoot vs the Oilers quite a bit. Not sure if I want to move him when his play has been solid
Kerfoot good against smaller fast teams like Habs and Oilers ... but he went to sleep against CLB totally and completely useless in playoff hockey ... we are gonna load up with playoff type guys for our playoff run this year

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
But that is also why teams would be willing to trade the pick this year in order to get a good player to bolster their lineup. I also wouldn’t give up Power if we were at that spot.
Power would be perfect piece for our backend ... very very very big ... very very very fast ... great shot and completely NASTY like run you over and hurt you too ... we need a guy to put fear of God into you when he is on ice

Reactions: Fonzieleaf

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
He is but it just adds more fuel to the fact that the Leafs are looking for a top 6 forward (hopefully in the mold of Hyman). I believe you dissed Freidman and Dreger for reporting the same thing last week.
Wake me up when people are simply trying to sell newspapers.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not sure why anyone would be hesitant to move some prospects. Dubas has yet to make a bad pick, the cupboards will be overstocked in no time.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Thornton-Matthews-Marner
Foligno-Tavares-Nylander
Mikheyev-Jenner-Hyman
Simmons--Spezza--Boyd/Vesey/Barabanov

Not bad. More complicated though and I'm not sure CBJ would be moving Jenner. And then Jenner complicates the expansion draft too.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Considering Foligno and Jenner would both probably re-sign in Columbus, something around the Muzzin package would be a nice haul for them. If they add their first to that package they could probably land a mid-tier 1C if one becomes available in the summer.

Edit- nevermind I thought they were both UFA this year, that complicates things.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The guys on Overdrive were talking last week about how MANY teams have told their GM's that they are not to add any money at TDL and they are to move actual dollars out. A few teams like TML can afford to add so they will be one of a few teams in a buyers market. As an example of the financial struggles of some teams, they mentioned that it is rumored that the Edmonton Oilers are going to lose $50,000,000 this year. It is a gate driven league, no bums in seats, only TV money is coming in, there is not a lot of $$$ (compared to the NFL) in the NHL TV deal. There have been a few US owners anonymously quoted as saying from a financial perspective, it makes more sense to not have a season.

If this is true the Leafs do not have to over pay, if anything they can underpay by a big margin. Something like a 3rd rounder for Foligno should suffice in a buyers market.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Good point but time will tell if they are creditable. Too much smoke for me not to think they are in this case.
Since we need a top 6 winger it's not very difficult to suggest we need one and then suggest names that are out there or are obvious candidates.

SS is only to be trusted when it sounds like it's coming from the board room. Otherwise he's simply farting at his screen and hoping.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Kerfoot + either Sandin/Lily + Robertson/1st rounder for Foligno

To me Kerfoot + Lily + our 2021 1st rounder I would do it yesterday (2021 is worst draft class ever except for pick #1)

But i would keep Sandin and Robertson as they will both by NHLers
Good god! Look to something less than we gave up for Plekanec.
This aint a charity

Reactions: Caroline Says ll

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don’t even know if a case can be made to move Kerfoot straight up for Foligno.

I don’t doubt Foligno wouldn’t help but at that price tag you probably just trade a pick to get Kyle Clifford back and call it a day.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don’t even know if a case can be made to move Kerfoot straight up for Foligno.

I don’t doubt Foligno wouldn’t help but at that price tag you probably just trade a pick to get Kyle Clifford back and call it a day.
I have to watch a CLB game this year ... no idea if he has lost his wheels to forecheck or not ... I know he knows how to play wall and net front presence and that never goes away ... if he has lost his wheels at 33 then I would pass but if he still has them then so what he is a UFa at year end and we took our chance for a Cup when we have it this year ... next year we gotta fight Tampa Boston and Florida again and even coming ut of our division will be a fluke

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sandin has been better at the NHL level though both had issues. Sandin is a bit younger and has had injuries last two years.

Lilijgren is steadier than sandin but sandin wows me more offensively and I think if Mo ends up walking he can play his role down the line while lilijgren plays Brodies role

That would be huge but a longshot. Brodie should be here for another 4 seasons. In which case Lily can only replace Holl or Bogo and the way I see it, you need a Bogo style player as your #3RHD. Not much room for Lily when our RSD is healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad