News Article: Published on 03/08/2021 AUTHOR Mark Easson Maple Leafs looking at Nick Foligno?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
People do realize that he is playing 18 minutes a night and only has 11 points in 26 games.

That is on the same level as Tavares and 2 minutes more than Nylander. Pretty much he is scoring at the same rate Jimmy Vesey was before Vesey scored a bunch of goals the past few games... And doesn't even provide the defensive quality.

People want to give up blue chip prospects, 1st round picks in a great draft, and Kerfoot for this guy?

He's not a good player anymore. He's a depth winger who hits and has some character/experience, but even in a good year you don't exceed paying a 2nd round pick for him. At most you pay the same amount you would pay for Eric Staal @50%, and Eric Staal is a much better piece.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I have to watch a CLB game this year ... no idea if he has lost his wheels to forecheck or not ... I know he knows how to play wall and net front presence and that never goes away ... if he has lost his wheels at 33 then I would pass but if he still has them then so what he is a UFa at year end and we took our chance for a Cup when we have it this year ... next year we gotta fight Tampa Boston and Florida again and even coming ut of our division will be a fluke

We are better than 2 of those teams... It won't be a fluke to come out of our division. Or at least come in second behind Tampa.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
People do realize that he is playing 18 minutes a night and only has 11 points in 26 games.

That is on the same level as Tavares and 2 minutes more than Nylander. Pretty much he is scoring at the same rate Jimmy Vesey was before Vesey scored a bunch of goals the past few games... And doesn't even provide the defensive quality.

People want to give up blue chip prospects, 1st round picks in a great draft, and Kerfoot for this guy?

He's not a good player anymore. He's a depth winger who hits and has some character/experience, but even in a good year you don't exceed paying a 2nd round pick for him. At most you pay the same amount you would pay for Eric Staal @50%, and Eric Staal is a much better piece.

You are right except N Foligno > Staal and Foligno is a better fit. Foligno's cap hit is also larger. Even so, I doubt Foligno is the so-called top 6 forward Dubas is targetting. Staal is more likely not to be either.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I have to watch a CLB game this year ... no idea if he has lost his wheels to forecheck or not ... I know he knows how to play wall and net front presence and that never goes away ... if he has lost his wheels at 33 then I would pass but if he still has them then so what he is a UFa at year end and we took our chance for a Cup when we have it this year ... next year we gotta fight Tampa Boston and Florida again and even coming ut of our division will be a fluke

The idea that the Leafs would have to pay so much for a player like Nick Foligno is consistent with smaller market or less covered teams who think they can jack Toronto for a boatload of assets based on the reputation of a player whose stood out against the Leafs in the past, or a Toronto writer who over-values a player they’re familiar with on an obscure team. The rumour mill has been clogged examples of this as long as I’ve followed the Leafs.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The Canadian division might be more of a seller's market at the deadline than the other three, but I'm still not interested in that steep of a price. I'd rather be more conservative this year with the quarantine and expansion draft and go full throttle into buyers mode the next three seasons. Preferably with Muzzin-style 1.5 years of service deals. We really need to fix our cap situation so we can accrue space each season, rather than just LTIR our way through each one.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We are better than 2 of those teams... It won't be a fluke to come out of our division. Or at least come in second behind Tampa.
Those 4 teams are all extremely good teams top 6 in entire NHL in my opinion ... with 1 team coming out of each division da odds are about 25% for us to come out ... Tampa wento from SC finals to not making playoffs ... this year I would say our odds are minimum 70% of reaching semis ... da time to go for it is this year

Reactions: ToneDog

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Foligno + Savard (both at 50%) + Foudy

For

Kerfoot + Engvall + Abramov + Liljegren + 1st in 21

Last edited:

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018

I agree. People are getting a bit silly.
I would love to add Foligno. It would be like having a second Simmonds on the team but not at the cost some people are mentioning.
His career is in steep decline. A shell of his former self. He would still offer great leadership, grit and toughness, with a bit of scoring. Just like bogosian and simmonds.
He is not the type of player you sell the farm for.
I would give Kerfoot straight up. Add a conditional pick to ensure the leafs don’t try resigning him (I assume Columbus will want him back next season).
Columbus gets the center they are looking for and the leafs get a great locker room guy for the playoffs.
I would not trade any of those prospects mentioned even if he came with an extension at a cheap rate.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Crazy that a guy who averages like 35 points a season in his career with that one crazy 73 point season warrants a top prospect in the system. If that's the case Kerfoots value is through the roof and might be able to get us Seth Jarvis.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I thought I recalled Nick Foligno saying something disparaging about playing for the Leafs not too long ago. I could be misremembering but I'm fairly certain it was a little more than a light-hearted diss from him.

He'd be a great fit on the team, however, if there is any truth to the interest.

Edit: maybe it was the covid bubble comments that I'm thinking of. probably nothing noteworthy in the end.

Last edited:

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
man people are underrating Lilly pretty hardcore. I wouldn't move him, Sandin or Robertson, for any less than a long-term piece. I like the player but this seems more like futures + Kerfoot or pass

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not sure why anyone would be hesitant to move some prospects. Dubas has yet to make a bad pick, the cupboards will be overstocked in no time.

Though current prospects like Sandin or Robertson will be able to join the roster a lot sooner than anyone the Leafs take in the next couple drafts. I certainly don't doubt Dubas' eye for talent but there are other factors involved

Reactions: Confucius

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Id consider Robertson/sandin/Amirov as the only untouchables for him (and probably Liljgren)

A 1st and Kerfoot would be more than fair for Folding, who could be useful for the Leafs in the postseason. Maybe a 2nd and a b prospects instead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->