PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Which system are you going to buy?

• Total voters

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Correct me if i'm wrong but I thought when Microsoft came out with the X1X they said they were going to fundamentally change console releases. Instead of upgrading their system every 7 years with a brand new model, it'd be a gradual and more PC-esque model.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
It remains to be seen how the Bethesda deal works out. Microsoft has historically been crappy at finding an developing new talent. That's what Sony is REALLY good at over Microsoft. Games of the year nominations being PS4 exclusives is the prime example of this. Microsoft's playbook in this scenario has been and always will be backing up a truckload of money to an established studio (Bethesda) and making it their own. Until Microsoft develops talent internally that can go out and find those studios that can make games of the year they're just going to be second fiddle.

I think Sony definitely has the advantage on single-player games over Microsoft, developed internally. However, I'm hopeful that will change with the Bethesda acquisition. At the end of the day, Microsoft is adding a studio that includes the developers and talent of Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout and Dishonoured. I'm confident they can roll out some cool single-player exclusives, especially as Phil Spencer noted that was an area of weakness recently.

Do you want to know what would have been the biggest bomb drop of them all at the Xbox next gen announcements? A sequel to Alan Wake.

I do think that would have been cool, although not quite the impact a game such as Elder Scrolls being exclusive would have. I'm a huge fan of Alan Wake, it's a game that didn't quite get the marketing it should have, although it developed a bit of a cult following.

However, launches have historically been not filled with big games at launch. Nintendo DS is a great example of this. The games available at launch were buggy 'meh' games.

I remember my disappointment in PS4 launch titles when I bought that system on launch day. They did a great job launching with Spider-Man this time, though.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think Sony definitely has the advantage on single-player games over Microsoft, developed internally. However, I'm hopeful that will change with the Bethesda acquisition. At the end of the day, Microsoft is adding a studio that includes the developers and talent of Elder Scrolls, Doom, Fallout and Dishonoured. I'm confident they can roll out some cool single-player exclusives, especially as Phil Spencer noted that was an area of weakness recently.

They also have Obsidian, which is working on Grounded and a single-player RPG named Avowed that looks a lot like an Elder Scrolls game. After one of those, they might start working on a sequel to The Outer Worlds (if not a sequel to Fallout: New Vegas). Between both acquisitions, it does seem like Microsoft is interested in adding more single-player exclusives.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
They also have Obsidian, which is working on Grounded and a single-player RPG named Avowed that looks a lot like an Elder Scrolls game. After one of those, they might start working on a sequel to The Outer Worlds (if not a sequel to Fallout: New Vegas). Between both acquisitions, it does seem like Microsoft is interested in adding more single-player exclusives.

I’m super excited for Avowed

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
I think (and hope) console exclusives will be done for in the future, and I think this Bethesda deal will have a lot to do with it. Although logical, I don't think Sony operates like that right now (just like how Xbox was stubborn in the 360 days). Heck, it's a miracle Sony finally caved and allowed cross-platform gaming after so much pressure for so long.

I really believe Microsoft is going to drop a couple bombs that hurt Sony fans before they'll finally get rid of most console exclusives. Elder Scrolls and another game will be Xbox exclusives and anger the PS5 crowd, causing a deal to be made for future games.
The only problem with your statement is your assertion that Microsoft will have exclusives. If I want to play Miles Morales, I need a PS5. If Microsoft makes Elder Scrolls "exclusive", all I need is game pass and a PC. In their push to make their games widely available, they have become their own worst competition.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
The only problem with your statement is your assertion that Microsoft will have exclusives. If I want to play Miles Morales, I need a PS5. If Microsoft makes Elder Scrolls "exclusive", all I need is game pass and a PC. In their push to make their games widely available, they have become their own worst competition.

They don’t care. There is plenty of articles and quotes out there of Phil Spencer supporting PC play. They still make money regardless.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
They don’t care. There is plenty of articles and quotes out there of Phil Spencer supporting PC play. They still make money regardless.
That's the thing. I can see Microsoft going the way of Sega and becoming a publisher and dumping console manufacturing. They've been outsold by Nintendo home consoles by 25 million more units. They are being outsold by Sony 3:1.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
That's the thing. I can see Microsoft going the way of Sega and becoming a publisher and dumping console manufacturing. They've been outsold by Nintendo home consoles by 25 million more units. They are being outsold by Sony 3:1.

Microsoft is creating a lot of different avenues they can take. IMO what they are doing is incredibly smart and thinking ahead. They already have the infrastructure they are just taking advantage of it.

Reactions: Beau Knows

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I really don't see that happening anytime soon. Despite being labelled as a failure, the Xbox One still sold over twice as many units as the failed Sega Saturn and Dreamcast consoles combined. Over three times as many units as the Wii U. They are nowhere near Sega status. Xbox consoles still sell in the tens of millions and Xbox Live Gold is essentially free money to Microsoft, plus they get all the money from multiplatform games being sold. If they do end up forgoing the traditional console it will probably be in favor of some sort of game streaming device and Xbox as a platform will still continue.

Reactions: Jussi

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I like what Xbox is doing with Gamepass, but holy smokes is it overpriced. $220 a year Canadian? What's that $180 US? I mean half the people I see on this site only got it through some loophole deal floating around. People call it the best deal in gaming, but when it's 3.5-4 times more expensive than EA or PS Now I don't know about that.

And yeah I know EA is bundled but 1 month of gamepass can pay for a year of EA Play almost.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I really don't see that happening anytime soon. Despite being labelled as a failure, the Xbox One still sold over twice as many units as the failed Sega Saturn and Dreamcast consoles combined. Over three times as many units as the Wii U. They are nowhere near Sega status. Xbox consoles still sell in the tens of millions and Xbox Live Gold is essentially free money to Microsoft, plus they get all the money from multiplatform games being sold. If they do end up forgoing the traditional console it will probably be in favor of some sort of game streaming device and Xbox as a platform will still continue.

Microsoft are making the most money from digital sales of all platforms.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I like what Xbox is doing with Gamepass, but holy smokes is it overpriced. $220 a year Canadian? What's that $180 US? I mean half the people I see on this site only got it through some loophole deal floating around. People call it the best deal in gaming, but when it's 3.5-4 times more expensive than EA or PS Now I don't know about that.

And yeah I know EA is bundled but 1 month of gamepass can pay for a year of EA Play almost.

You get EA Play with Ultimate Game Pass.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Just like with Live, you're an exceptionally stupid gamer if you're paying the official price. It doesn't take long to Google cheaper prices. I've never paid official prices for Live, nor Game Pass.
Me neither. But when the Xbox live live loophole is discontinued, or for those who don't know about it for whatever reason, you're left with a service that is orders of magnitude more expensive than the competition.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
I bought a ps5 and I am almost regretting it.

Don't get me wrong the system and components are amazing and the controller is next level but the size of this system is horrible. It simply cannot fit anywhere in my TV stand. It's now standing on a table next to my TV. It's not even beautiful and it is horribly designed and not practical at all.

Why not sell it and buy again when there's a slim version? I'm guessing 2022, there will be far more games by then as well and current games on sale. You'll probably make most if not all your money back if you sell this month due to the scarcity.

I'm kind of on the same boat as you, I'd have to either put it in an awkward position on my desk or remove my PS3 from the shelf on my desk which I'm not doing.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Your whole argument relies so much on stupidity of people. :laugh:
Well then, lets not assume everyones stupid. Lets assume everybody is as smart as you and me and knows about the XBL loophole and that loophole is never discontinued (not that much of a stretch).

Is Microsoft going to continue selling 12 month codes? Unlikely, considering they only sell 1 month subscriptions online. They'll be gone eventually. Whether thats in 1-2 years or 5 years, we'll see. When they are, all the smart people will have to deal with that $180 price tag. Who knows, it might actually be worth it by then.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Well then, lets not assume everyones stupid. Lets assume everybody is as smart as you and me and knows about the XBL loophole and that loophole is never discontinued (not that much of a stretch).

Is Microsoft going to continue selling 12 month codes? Unlikely, considering they only sell 1 month subscriptions online. They'll be gone eventually. Whether thats in 1-2 years or 5 years, we'll see. When they are, all the smart people will have to deal with that $180 price tag. Who knows, it might actually be worth it by then.

We'll see what happens when the time comes. Right now, I'm enjoying my Gamepass until 2023 that I paid $150 for.

By the way, if you wanna compare it to the competition, Playstation Now is $10USD per month and doesn't include Playstation Plus online services. And the library quite frankly sucks.

Reactions: GreytWun

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
We'll see what happens when the time comes. Right now, I'm enjoying my Gamepass until 2023 that I paid $150 for.

By the way, if you wanna compare it to the competition, Playstation Now is $10USD per month and doesn't include Playstation Plus online services. And the library quite frankly sucks.
It is but its $60 US a year. Its a regular discount if you buy the yearly pass. Which I guess its possible could go away, but I dont see it increasing by over $100.

Tbh the library is alright. Especially if you want to play some of the emulated titles I picked up a 1 year sub on the christmas promo ($45 US/$60 CAD) just to mess around with it. I think its definitely not as good as xbox, but its honestly pretty good value.

I think EA has both of them beat, but just at the actual advertised prices, I dont consider gamepass ultimate good value.

Edit: Just to be clear, as I alluded to, I did also do the XBL costco upgrade thing. $120 for 28 months, thats a good deal even for PC gamepass (I really hate that they are taking forever to put up DOOM Eternal though, I'm honestly considering just buying it).

2: I just realized Gamepass also has a 1 year discount. Its 119.99 for a 1 year pass

Last edited:

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

Not to mention that people pay for other multiple subscriptions like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ Etc. monthly.

Gamepass though? Nah, too much.

16+ million subs to gamepass says people don’t care apparently. It’s a great deal.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
For those weighing their options between a new PC/upgrade or the next gen consoles, Nvidia's new 3060 Ti looks like the sweet spot for price to performance (at least until the inevitable 3060 is revealed). $400 USD for a card that will offer high refresh rate 1440p gaming (and playable frame rates at 4k) as well as good performance in ray tracing and Nvidia's DLSS technology.

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti review: faster than 2080 Super, easily beats 1080 Ti

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad