PS5 vs Xbox Series X

Which system are you going to buy?

• Total voters

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I bought a ps5 and I am almost regretting it.

Don't get me wrong the system and components are amazing and the controller is next level but the size of this system is horrible. It simply cannot fit anywhere in my TV stand. It's now standing on a table next to my TV. It's not even beautiful and it is horribly designed and not practical at all.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I bought a ps5 and I am almost regretting it.

Don't get me wrong the system and components are amazing and the controller is next level but the size of this system is horrible. It simply cannot fit anywhere in my TV stand. It's now standing on a table next to my TV. It's not even beautiful and it is horribly designed and not practical at all.

I mean, we all knew the console was huge and ugly when it was announced, it seems odd to be surprised be it now...

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I mean, we all knew the console was huge and ugly when it was announced, it seems odd to be surprised be it now...
Yes and no... you don't truly see how big it is until you see it in front of you. When you see a picture of the console it does not say much. When it is sitting next to your TV it is the first thing you notice.

I am all in about next gen games but why make it so long, make it chubbier. The Xbox X while subpar in everything is at least somehow practical.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Yes and no... you don't truly see how big it is until you see it in front of you. When you see a picture of the console it does not say much. When it is sitting next to your TV it is the first thing you notice.

I am all in about next gen games but why make it so long, make it chubbier. The Xbox X while subpar in everything is at least somehow practical.

How is the Xbox Series X subpar in everything? It has superior hardware as far as raw power.

I do agree that the box was built practically. The thing is basically a chimney pushing hot air through a massive vent and away from the machinery. Sony took another tact, and opted to make the thing bigger to afford air flow.

Reactions: Jussi

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
How is the Xbox Series X subpar in everything? It has superior hardware as far as raw power.
The controller is the same thing and not revolutionary. They simply got better hardware but overall won't be fully optimized because developer will benchmark with PS5 specs in mind.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The controller is the same thing and not revolutionary. They simply got better hardware but overall won't be fully optimized because developer will benchmark with PS5 specs in mind.

Meh, the last time we had a 'revolutionary controller' (the Wii) it was more gimmick than game-changer. I'm going to wait to see if any developers use the controller beyond a novelty I'd rather turn off, like the latest COD on PS5 for example. I turned that trigger BS off ASAP, simply so I perform better.

As far as optimizing to one console or another, we shall see. Even if games aren't made with the full power of the XSX in mind, the raw horsepower will allow the console to take games and simply run them smoother. Not unlike the PS4 and Xbox One, where the major difference between the games was often slightly higher native resolution and slightly steadier framerate on PS4.

In any case, yes, the PS5 is big and ugly. Hopefully you'll have a chance to buy a smaller, prettier version in a few years.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I said this before but I don't consider that rumble motor a gimmick. Combined with the built in speaker it genuinely adds a lot of immersion.

Another underrated feature is the built in Mic. For people who like voice chat but don't like wearing headphones, the controller has a built in Mic that works for voice chat.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario

The controller is often referred to as the gold standard for controllers. In my opinion I would take the Xbox controller over my PS controller. Way more comfortable for me. Look at PlayStation evolution of controllers, they are starting mold into more of an Xbox controller shape minus relocating the thumb sticks.

how do you know that developers aren’t going to optimize for Series X then if required move settings lower for PS5? The consoles are very close I really don’t see this being an issue.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Meh, the last time we had a 'revolutionary controller' (the Wii) it was more gimmick than game-changer. I'm going to wait to see if any developers use the controller beyond a novelty I'd rather turn off, like the latest COD on PS5 for example. I turned that trigger BS off ASAP, simply so I perform better.

As far as optimizing to one console or another, we shall see. Even if games aren't made with the full power of the XSX in mind, the raw horsepower will allow the console to take games and simply run them smoother. Not unlike the PS4 and Xbox One, where the major difference between the games was often slightly higher native resolution and slightly steadier framerate on PS4.

In any case, yes, the PS5 is big and ugly. Hopefully you'll have a chance to buy a smaller, prettier version in a few years.

In Digital Foundry's PS5/Series X comparison video, the guys mentioned they also turned it off on multiplayer. "Works in the campaign but is a distraction in multiplayer where you need to be able to shoot quickly with every gun" or something like that.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
how do you know that developers aren’t going to optimize for Series X then if required move settings lower for PS5? The consoles are very close I really don’t see this being an issue.

I work with video games developper. They always develop the games on PC and then downscale to console. The difference between both system is minimal and more for marketing purposes. Unless the game is exclusive for Xbox or PS4, developper won't focus a lot on console until the end to make sure they can optimize the settings based on the console requirements.

Not to mention console sales are usually at 2 to 1 ratio for Sony so it is important that the game fit perfectly with the PS5 so they use it as benchmark.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

The Xbox controller is actually better, IMO. A lot of the PS5 controller features are very gimmicky - people are already turning off the adaptive triggers, as noted above. It took them two weeks to get over it lol. The only interesting thing is the mic, and if my friends was any example, the mic is about the quality you would expect from a controller.

The Xbox One controller felt so much better than the PS4 controller, and while they kept the same formula, it feels a lot better. The little grips, the size, the feel of the triggers and bumpers, everything feels first class.

Xbox is the more powerful console, that can't really be debated. The PS4 had better exclusives, but Microsoft is buying studios. Don't forget Microsoft bought Bethesda. Best case scenario for PS5 users is they still get to play future Bethesda titles on their console, just without modding, DLCs, play them on launch day and possibly at a capped performance. Worst case scenario is Microsoft decides to make them Xbox exclusives and the next Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Dishonoured and Starfield are not on the PS5 console.

Plus, Xbox offers GamePass. By paying for my Xbox Live for two years upfront, I was able to upgrade to Gamepass for $1 until 2023 - which has a great collection and will only get better value when any first-party games (including Bethesda games) are added to Gamepass on launch day. Playstation's comparison, PS Now, was featuring NBA 2k18 as one of their big games on their main page a month ago.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Xbox is the more powerful console, that can't really be debated. The PS4 had better exclusives, but Microsoft is buying studios. Don't forget Microsoft bought Bethesda. Best case scenario for PS5 users is they still get to play future Bethesda titles on their console, just without modding, DLCs, play them on launch day and possibly at a capped performance. Worst case scenario is Microsoft decides to make them Xbox exclusives and the next Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Dishonoured and Starfield are not on the PS5 console.

I was thinking about this the other day and figured that the best case scenario for everyone would probably be for Microsoft to leverage their exclusive capability to get some games that would, otherwise, be Sony exclusives. For example, they might go to Sony and offer The Elder Scrolls VI and Starfield in exchange for Ghost of Tsushima 2 and Uncharted 5. Perhaps that's one reason why Microsoft is being coy about Bethesda exclusivity: the thought of eventually using it as a bargaining chip to get Sony exclusives is more appealing than the sales boost that they'd get now. Of course, Sony would have to agree even if Microsoft were to offer, and that seems a bit far fetched, but it really seems like the best case scenario would be if this acquisition arms race were to actually reduce the number of exclusives rather than increase it. That's probably just wishful thinking, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
I was thinking about this the other day and figured that the true best case scenario for everyone would probably be if Microsoft manages to leverage their exclusive capability to get some games that would, otherwise, be PS5 exclusives. For example, they might go to Sony and offer The Elder Scrolls VI and Starfield in exchange for Ghost of Tsushima 2 and Uncharted 5. Perhaps that's one reason why Microsoft is giving up on current boost to sales that announcing Bethesda exclusivity right now would bring: they might want to use it as a bargaining chip later. Of course, Sony would have to agree even if Microsoft were to offer, and that seems a bit far fetched, but it really would be the best case scenario if this acquisition arms race actually were to end exclusives rather than just escalate them. It's probably just wishful thinking, though.
I think the reason Microsoft hasn't mentioned anything about exclusivity regarding Zenimax games is because the deal hasn't actually finalized and won't be for quite a while. Though I do agree that it would be best for exclusives to become a thing of the past.

My prediction is that all the Zenimax games will be Xbox and PC only.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Interesting development gentlemen - for the blokes still looking for a PS5 -, one of my brethren was able to snag a console from Dell.com (yes the PC/laptop company). Might be doing some random drops in the future as well.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think the reason Microsoft hasn't mentioned anything about exclusivity regarding Zenimax games is because the deal hasn't actually finalized and won't be for quite a while. Though I do agree that it would be best for exclusives to become a thing of the past.

My prediction is that all the Zenimax games will be Xbox and PC only.
Yeah, the deal isn’t finalized until first quarter of 2021 or something. Spencer basically said he can’t say too much until then.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Personally, I dont think the Zenimax deal had as much to do with Sony as it did Amazon and Google.

Microsoft is looking ahead, past the hardware war. They want exclusive content for their streaming service in the upcoming war with Amazon’s service and Stadia (which sucks now, but probably isnt going anywhere). Steam and Epic will both likely add streaming options to their stores as well.

Honestlt, Microsofts ideal scenario is probably bowing out of hardware, letting Sony and Nintendo incur the costs of manufacturing hardware, while they make money hand over fist from Gamepass running on those platforms.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Personally, I dont think the Zenimax deal had as much to do with Sony as it did Amazon and Google.

Microsoft is looking ahead, past the hardware war. They want exclusive content for their streaming service in the upcoming war with Amazon’s service and Stadia (which sucks now, but probably isnt going anywhere). Steam and Epic will both likely add streaming options to their stores as well.

Honestlt, Microsofts ideal scenario is probably bowing out of hardware, letting Sony and Nintendo incur the costs of manufacturing hardware, while they make money hand over fist from Gamepass running on those platforms.

Nothing Phil Spencer has said indicates that. He literally said MS engineers are already designing future versions of Xbox.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
The Xbox One despite being labelled a "failure" sold tens of millions of units. They're not about to back out of hardware any time soon. Doing so would be foolish. Their longterm strategy might be moving away from the traditional console release schedule but I can't see it anytime soon.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The Xbox One despite being labelled a "failure" sold tens of millions of units. They're not about to back out of hardware any time soon. Doing so would be foolish. Their longterm strategy might be moving away from the traditional console release schedule but I can't see it anytime soon.
It started out insanely bad. The Wii U was outselling it at launch.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007

I do agree that the box was built practically. The thing is basically a chimney pushing hot air through a massive vent and away from the machinery. Sony took another tact, and opted to make the thing bigger to afford air flow.

I mean, of course it's more powerful. It's 7 years removed from the One X. That's where it ends though. The controller, UI and everything is exactly the same and there aren't any new AAA games (at least for a few years anyways). Buying Bethesda helps but it's all old games right now. It honestly doesn't feel next gen at all. The PS5 actually feels next gen with the look, new haptic feedback controller, new UI and a custom SSD that can load PS5 games in seconds etc. I like both systems and have no side because I just love gaming despite how my comment looks but that's what I've noticed from using both new consoles. JMO and I stand by it. Play what you want and enjoy it. Gaming is awesome.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I mean, of course it's more powerful. It's 7 years removed from the One X. That's where it ends though. The controller, UI and everything is exactly the same and there aren't any new AAA games (at least for a few years anyways). Buying Bethesda helps but it's all old games right now. It honestly doesn't feel next gen at all. The PS5 actually feels next gen with the look, new haptic feedback controller, new UI and a custom SSD that can load PS5 games in seconds etc. I like both systems and have no side because I just love gaming despite how my comment looks but that's what I've noticed from using both new consoles. JMO and I stand by it. Play what you want and enjoy it. Gaming is awesome.

I doubt you have the Series X because a lot of this is biased and wrong...

First of all, the One X released in 2017, making it three years removed, not seven. You're thinking of the Xbox One, which was followed by the Xbox One S and Xbox One X.

Saying the controller is the exact same was the first giveaway that you don't have the new console. Every Xbox fan I've talked to notices and loves the new feel of the controllers. They took a different approach than Sony, but added improvements in grips and size and gave the controller a new feel in the hands, even though it looks similar. The UI is the same because they made constant improvements in the Xbox One UI throughout the years, and will do so with the Series X. I've heard nothing but negatives of the PS5 UI from Sony fans, saying it takes more clicks and time than the PS4. And as someone who owned a PS4, I hated the UI and loved the Xbox One's when I switched over. No new AAA games for a few years? Halo Infinite is releasing in 2021 and is the definition of a AAA game.

The PS5 feels more next-gen? Because they made the console bigger and uglier, added a bunch of gimmicky features to a controller (while raising the price), made an already crappy UI more difficult (according to PS5 fans)? I mean, the Xbox Series X uses SSD that actually loads the games slightly quicker than the PS5, but you failed to even mention they're using an SSD.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I was thinking about this the other day and figured that the best case scenario for everyone would probably be for Microsoft to leverage their exclusive capability to get some games that would, otherwise, be Sony exclusives. For example, they might go to Sony and offer The Elder Scrolls VI and Starfield in exchange for Ghost of Tsushima 2 and Uncharted 5. Perhaps that's one reason why Microsoft is being coy about Bethesda exclusivity: the thought of eventually using it as a bargaining chip to get Sony exclusives is more appealing than the sales boost that they'd get now. Of course, Sony would have to agree even if Microsoft were to offer, and that seems a bit far fetched, but it really seems like the best case scenario would be if this acquisition arms race were to actually reduce the number of exclusives rather than increase it. That's probably just wishful thinking, though.

I think (and hope) console exclusives will be done for in the future, and I think this Bethesda deal will have a lot to do with it. Although logical, I don't think Sony operates like that right now (just like how Xbox was stubborn in the 360 days). Heck, it's a miracle Sony finally caved and allowed cross-platform gaming after so much pressure for so long.

I really believe Microsoft is going to drop a couple bombs that hurt Sony fans before they'll finally get rid of most console exclusives. Elder Scrolls and another game will be Xbox exclusives and anger the PS5 crowd, causing a deal to be made for future games.

Reactions: Osprey

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Yeah I don't really buy the narrative that the PS5 is somehow way more "next-gen" than the Series X, and I'm someone who is planning on buying an PS5 and not the Series X. At the end of the day, both consoles will be running mostly the same games at mostly the same fidelity and performance. I don't think you can really go wrong with either console.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I think (and hope) console exclusives will be done for in the future, and I think this Bethesda deal will have a lot to do with it. Although logical, I don't think Sony operates like that right now (just like how Xbox was stubborn in the 360 days). Heck, it's a miracle Sony finally caved and allowed cross-platform gaming after so much pressure for so long.

I really believe Microsoft is going to drop a couple bombs that hurt Sony fans before they'll finally get rid of most console exclusives. Elder Scrolls and another game will be Xbox exclusives and anger the PS5 crowd, causing a deal to be made for future games.

It remains to be seen how the Bethesda deal works out. Microsoft has historically been crappy at finding an developing new talent. That's what Sony is REALLY good at over Microsoft. Games of the year nominations being PS4 exclusives is the prime example of this. Microsoft's playbook in this scenario has been and always will be backing up a truckload of money to an established studio (Bethesda) and making it their own. Until Microsoft develops talent internally that can go out and find those studios that can make games of the year they're just going to be second fiddle.

Do you want to know what would have been the biggest bomb drop of them all at the Xbox next gen announcements? A sequel to Alan Wake.

However, launches have historically been not filled with big games at launch. Nintendo DS is a great example of this. The games available at launch were buggy 'meh' games.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

MS isn't going to bow out of the hardware/console race while a big chunk of the market is still willing to pay $500 for a plug and play gaming machine. Rather it seems they're pulling the gaming division back under the general big MS tent, and if they're looking towards the future it will probably have to do with streaming or 'cloud' gaming.

Take something like googles chromebox or chromebook, cheap compact hardware that basically just runs the OS and has video, usb, and ethernet ports, and leaves all the heavy lifting to cloud services. This has been around for a while in the MS business software world known as thin client computing, where instead of each employee having their own big desktop PC they get just a little device that hooks up your monitor/mouse/keyboard and plugs into the more powerful windows server. I'd imagine MS near future plan will be to come out with something that's a cross between a thin client PC and an Xbox that you can plug into your TV or monitor and the that focuses on running Windows and then you pay the appropriate subscription fee to run office/Xbox Live/etc from their cloud services.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad