Post-Game Talk: PS Game 5 - Backes is BACK!!! - BRUINS 2 Newark 0 F

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Do you honestly believe that anyone is interested in taking on Backes' $6m cap hit for two more seasons based on a couple pre-season games?

Not a snowballs chance in hell.

Buy maybe ....just maybe....if he continues to look even marginally OK maybe a GM takes a shot at 50% retained. You never know.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Opening night roster (if Krejci is healthy and assuming Nordstrom is out)-
63-37-88
74-46-83
43-13-10
14-52-42

33-73
47-25
48-75*

**Forgot about Cliffy. I think Lauzon goes down for now

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Opening night roster (if Krejci is healthy and assuming Nordstrom is out)-
63-37-88
74-46-83
43-13-10
14-52-42

33-73
47-25
79-48

Idk if they'll actually play Lauzon over Kampfer but I hope they do. I like a pairing of he and Gryz over he and Kampfer.

Where's Clifton?

I mean 75.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I might be wrong, but somehow I doubt we’ll see an opening night roster with both Bjork and Kuhlman.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I might be wrong, but somehow I doubt we’ll see an opening night roster with both Bjork and Kuhlman.

Why do you doubt it? It's a very possible outcome:

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pastrnak
DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Kuhlman
Heinen -- Coyle -- Bjork
Wagner -- Kuraly -- Backes
Lindholm, Ritchie

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
You do know the ice plants for the Winter Classic are pre-installed into 18 wheeler trucks that are just driven up and connected to the piping?

View attachment 257593

No way. I thought baseball fields have on-site ice plants.

Yes, I know it would be a more complex process than a Winter Classic setup. But I’m pretty positive it was probably at the bottom of the priority list for reasons already mentioned. Given the things that were completed, I am sure they could have actually gotten it done if they felt there was real (monetary) incentive.

My concern at this point is just it getting done, period. It’s been a noticeable issue for fans and players for a long time and it affects the quality of gameplay. And if it really is that much work...are they going to be willing to shut the Garden down again?Seems like if it was actually something they wanted to do, it would have made financial sense to hire some more hands to take care of it when the building was closed this past year. It’d be nice (and I feel like a respectful gesture) to get an actual plan/timeline on it.

I’ve never been one of the posters to speak on this issue, but it’s irking me at this point. If we get the same lip service next offseason, I’ll be extremely disappointed (but admittedly, not very surprised).

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Do you honestly believe that anyone is interested in taking on Backes' $6m cap hit for two more seasons based on a couple pre-season games?

It was a long shot idea but we are reading all the glowing reports on his revival. A few teams were mentioned here in summer before he found the fountain of youth, Ottawa for one. I am sure his play has been noticed around the league. He was better than Simmonds. Another team could offer more to attract his attention. He wants to play full time in a proper role. May not happen here on a contender with all the kids pushing for spots. He put in the summer work and does not want to sit and watch as it comes to an end.

Last edited:

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It was a long shot idea but we are reading all the gloring reports on his revival. A few teams were mentioned here in summer before he found the fountain of youth, Ottawa for one. I am sure his play has been noticed around the league. He was better than Simmonds. Another team could offer more to attract his attention. He wants to play full time in a proper role. May not happen here on a contender with all the kids pushing for spots. He put in the summer work and does not want to sit and watch as it comes to an end.

Revival David Backes is still not going to be worth $6 million/year. Really don’t think “what he wants” has much to do with anything.

As another poster said, the absolute best case scenario is he plays well (relatively) this year, and you can maybe work him into some type of deal at the deadline with money retained.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
It was a long shot idea but we are reading all the gloring reports on his revival. A few teams were mentioned here in summer before he found the fountain of youth, Ottawa for one. I am sure his play has been noticed around the league. He was better than Simmonds. Another team could offer more to attract his attention. He wants to play full time in a proper role. May not happen here on a contender with all the kids pushing for spots. He put in the summer work and does not want to sit and watch as it comes to an end.

Rumors of a great revival have been greatly exaggerated :laugh: I've seen the games, he looked okay last night, and was fair-ish in his previous outing. Nothing that I would say screams renaissance. I agree with @CharasLazyWrister that the best we can probably hope for is that he plays well enough to convince *someone* who has cap space to burn that he is worth a roster spot.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Rumors of a great revival have been greatly exaggerated :laugh: I've seen the games, he looked okay last night, and was fair-ish in his previous outing.

You, you party pooper.

4ff62aeff6bc583078c608c16f57970396e1c7335a964f9a8f88d57d8cd06017.jpg

Reactions: Dr Hook

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
If training camp is about competitions for jobs, since everyone shows up in shape to play, why is Ritchie, not Bjork, offered the last forward slot on the roster??

Hasn’t Andy shown enough to be on this team? Is losing Ritchie so concerning that Sweeney would send an obviously better player to the AHL?

What has Brett done to earn his place on the team? Certainly not his career stats in DallaS.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Revival David Backes is still not going to be worth $6 million/year. Really don’t think “what he wants” has much to do with anything.

As another poster said, the absolute best case scenario is he plays well (relatively) this year, and you can maybe work him into some type of deal at the deadline with money retained.

I never seen him as a one for one deal, thats crazy, I did not say that either. I said explore the trade option, now that he is a serviceable commodity. I see a package deal, kinda like Marleau. Except send a prospect player not a conditional #1 pick which the Leafs did. His 6 million could be attractive to a team wanting to get to the cap floor, if there are teams looking for that on his list.

What he wants is bigger than you think. He is not a random kid with no clauses attached. He has an 8 team Modified NTC list. Perhaps a team could entice him with a possibly future management position down the line. His experience is valuable as a selling point and he has to be sold on a team to accept it.

His improved play is the best solution to that contract. Either with us or opening up that cap space. We still have a glaring hole on Krechs RW. If we do not address it than we are not improving. Go big, get a legit guy or pray for Ritchie.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I never seen him as a one for one deal, thats crazy, I did not say that either. I said explore the trade option, now that he is a serviceable commodity. I see a package deal, kinda like Marleau. Except send a prospect player not a conditional #1 pick which the Leafs did. His 6 million could be attractive to a team wanting to get to the cap floor, if there are teams looking for that on his list.

What he wants is bigger than you think. He is not a random kid with no clauses attached. He has an 8 team Modified NTC list. Perhaps a team could entice him with a possibly future management position down the line. His experience is valuable as a selling point and he has to be sold on a team to accept it.

His improved play is the best solution to that contract. Either with us or opening up that cap space. We still have a glaring hole on Krechs RW. If we do not address it than we are not improving. Go big, get a legit guy or pray for Ritchie.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but I just don't think you are really in touch with the reality of the situation.

A. It is the end of the summer. The "teams trying to reach the cap floor" thing is not relevant at this point. We're already past that. At the earliest, you're talking about this becoming legitimate reasoning at the beginning of next summer.

B. Teams that are trying to reach the cap floor like front loaded deals in which they are only paying the back end, but the cap hit is disproportionately large compared to what the team actually has to pay. David Backes' contract is an even $6 million over all 5 years so his cap hit is exactly equal to what he is actually owed by said team. This segways back in to the Bruins basically being guaranteed to have to retain salary.

C. Lastly and most importantly, a couple of good preseason games does not suddenly make him a "serviceable commodity". That's just pure naivety.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
If training camp is about competitions for jobs, since everyone shows up in shape to play, why is Ritchie, not Bjork, offered the last forward slot on the roster??

Hasn’t Andy shown enough to be on this team? Is losing Ritchie so concerning that Sweeney would send an obviously better player to the AHL?

What has Brett done to earn his place on the team? Certainly not his career stats in DallaS.

It really isn't.

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
I am not trying to be a jerk, but I just don't think you are really in touch with the reality of the situation.

A. It is the end of the summer. The "teams trying to reach the cap floor" thing is not relevant at this point. We're already past that. At the earliest, you're talking about this becoming legitimate reasoning at the beginning of next summer.

B. Teams that are trying to reach the cap floor like front loaded deals in which they are only paying the back end, but the cap hit is disproportionately large compared to what the team actually has to pay. David Backes' contract is an even $6 million over all 5 years so his cap hit is exactly equal to what he is actually owed by said team. This segways back in to the Bruins basically being guaranteed to have to retain salary.

C. Lastly and most importantly, a couple of good preseason games does not suddenly make him a "serviceable commodity". That's just pure naivety.

This is incorrect. Base salary this year is 1mil with an already paid 3mil signing bonus (4 mil total). Next year is 3mil base with 1mil signing bonus (4 mil total). Salary per year over the 5 years is 8m, 8m, 6m, 4m, and 4m.

Mick Riddleton

Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
This is incorrect. Base salary this year is 1mil with an already paid 3mil signing bonus (4 mil total). Next year is 3mil base with 1mil signing bonus (4 mil total). Salary per year over the 5 years is 8m, 8m, 6m, 4m, and 4m.

You are correct. His cap is a constant 6 million each and every year, different from his salary. I have said that over and over regarding Backes as it gets confusing at times. Like the Marleau deal try not to retain. Use the full 6 mill for a Krechie RW for Xmas. We have a lot of prospect depth instead of using a high pick, package that with the newly improved Backes, he has value now and good for him and us.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad