Post-Game Talk: PS Game 5 - Backes is BACK!!! - BRUINS 2 Newark 0 F

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
PS Game 5 - Backes is BACK!!! - BRUINS 2 Newark 0 F

I just noticed the title :laugh:

You can't help but to root for the guy after all he has been through

Just watched his interview from last night... I'm with you. I do find it a little interesting he hadn't had a skating coach in 15 years... especially considering it was clear the previous two years that he had lost a step and was behind the play, but good for him for taking it upon himself to improve his skating and give himself the best change to crack this roster and be effective. Hopefully he can be a valuable player for us in the bottom 6.

Reactions: BMC

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
See Post #913 quoting Joe McDonald in this thread: Boston Bruins - Training Camp 2019

2. Bruce Cassidy basically admitted on Tuesday forward Anders Bjork will begin the season in Providence. A pair of shoulder injuries and subsequent surgeries derailed the start of the talented 23-year-old’s pro career, but he’s healthy and close to reaching his potential at this stage. The plan will be for Bjork to play in Providence to regain his confidence, scoring touch and log as much ice time as possible before Boston calls again.

I think Bjork looks really good now and should be in Boston.
Agree.
A little time in Providence won't hurt, and give a chance to management to see how Backes/Ritchie do in real games.

Reactions: wintersej

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
It's ok to have the glass is half full mentality at times, just go with it. He's a proud guy who worked hard on his skating, let's see how it goes.
It was nice to read he worked on his skating. I'm pretty sure last year his strategy was losing 5 lbs which clearly wasn't the right idea

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It was nice to read he worked on his skating. I'm pretty sure last year his strategy was losing 5 lbs which clearly wasn't the right idea

???

Not sure what you are talking about. He had part of his colon removed two years ago and lost a bunch of weight following surgery. As pretty much everyone would.

Regardless, it wasn’t a “strategy”

Reactions: Strafer

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Heinen and Kuhlman looked great together. For the guys fighting for a position, Kuhlman would disappoint me the most if he were sent down. Bjork for me has earned that second open wing but I will be more understanding if he gets sent down.

If both Kuhlman and Bjork make the team I would want to see both tried on Krejci’s right.

I think Heinen is going to break out this year. That will give us a lot more choices in the top 9. I would love to see him become one of our regulars on the PK.

Reactions: wintersej

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
See Post #913 quoting Joe McDonald in this thread: Boston Bruins - Training Camp 2019

2. Bruce Cassidy basically admitted on Tuesday forward Anders Bjork will begin the season in Providence. A pair of shoulder injuries and subsequent surgeries derailed the start of the talented 23-year-old’s pro career, but he’s healthy and close to reaching his potential at this stage. The plan will be for Bjork to play in Providence to regain his confidence, scoring touch and log as much ice time as possible before Boston calls again.

I think Bjork looks really good now and should be in Boston.
I agree with you. He really stood out last night.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
So...if they keep going deep in the playoffs the ice will remain T****ty?

I’m sure there is actual legitimacy to it of some sort but it just feels like a terrible excuse because new ice won’t bring in additional revenue. They install the refrigeration system for outdoor games in days...

^^^Telling it like it is!^^^^

Reactions: BMC

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
Didn’t Wagner struggle on his off wing last year?

he did yes but I don’t see how else to fit him into the lineup besides his off wing

Bjork and Kuhlman both should stay

And Backes deserves to start opening night after his preseason

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
So...if they keep going deep in the playoffs the ice will remain ****ty?

I’m sure there is actual legitimacy to it of some sort but it just feels like a terrible excuse because new ice won’t bring in additional revenue. They install the refrigeration system for outdoor games in days...

You do know the ice plants for the Winter Classic are pre-installed into 18 wheeler trucks that are just driven up and connected to the piping?

52fe340a-a831-40da-bdbf-87e125db27c1-large16x9_ice.png

Reactions: SoldiersOfFilth

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Reactions: Bmessy

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
???

Not sure what you are talking about. He had part of his colon removed two years ago and lost a bunch of weight following surgery. As pretty much everyone would.

Regardless, it wasn’t a “strategy”

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/bruins/sleeker-backes-drops-10-pounds-effort-keep-action

"So the 34-year-old power forward dropped 10 pounds this summer in an effort to get a little faster while retaining the size, strength and power that’s always been a part of his game."

“It was a concerted effort over the summer to continue to clean up my diet after my colon issues last year, and training in a little more of a functional way rather than a bulky football sort of brawn-type of way."

Skating is the issue. Not weight.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
If Backes can maintain that level of play, he definitely has a place in the bottom 6, preferably on the 4th line. I'm very skeptical though, that was just one preseason game.

I've said it before, but Bjork is great and it would be big mistake to send him to Providence. He should definitely be in the top 9, ideally on the 3rd line as he continues to gain confidence and find his scoring touch in this league.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
Where did you hear/read that Cassidy plans to start Bjork in Providence?

Joe McDonald in the Athletic wrote that based on comments from Cassidy. I understand the reasoning behind it, due to the injuries and missed time, but I really don't think Bjork needs it at this point.

I'm concerned they're going to try to shoehorn Ritchie in somewhere, at Bjork's expense, due to his size and his one-way deal. Cassidy's made other comments to the press praising his play so far. I just don't see what they see in him personally. Guess we'll find out before too long.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Why who cares if he or the kids play well they are being blocked because Backes scored a preseason goal.

Backes played well all night. He looked like an NHL player. Can he keep it up? I doubt it but he's a better option as an extra forward than a young kid. It doesn't appear hes blocking anyone.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Backes played well all night. He looked like an NHL player. Can he keep it up? I doubt it but he's a better option as an extra forward than a young kid. It doesn't appear hes blocking anyone.

think it has to be a situation where DB definitely does not play on B2B nights. I`m pulling for Backes as I truly do appreciate and respect his passion for the game and I also appreciate how he handled the healthy scratches last year but for many out there who forget, we have seen this movie before, Backes plays a game or two that teases us a bit, contributes, lays some hits then goes MIA for too many after it as he just can`t keep up with the play.

Now last night, he looked great, so too did Bjork who was THE reason the Backes goal even happens with a terrific back check but again, seen this before, I suspect Cassidy will pick his spots where he puts Backes into the lineup.

AM Bruin

The Early Worm
Feb 20, 2015
Out on a limb.
I'm looking forward to seeing a Heinen, Coyle, Backes third line to start the season. This line has the potential to be a possession monster. Perhaps the best third line in years.

I think Heinen is going to have a breakout year.

I'd also like to see Bjork brought up after some marinating down in Providence to spell Backes occasionally.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
It is a mistake to send down Bjork. Kid has been probably the best player to date. I would say he deserves another look with Bergy. Its going come down to money/contracts and who can be sent down safely.

A trade option is on the menu now that Backes has improved his stock. He may not find a spot here after everyone comes back. (Nordy, Bjork recall, probably after 10 AHL games)

I say we entertain any deal that Gm's on Backes list would put forward for him with his recent better play. Use that 6 million cap hit this year and the 6 million next to put into a RW for Krech. Add that to what we have left and go after someone big, no more little additions.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm looking forward to seeing a Heinen, Coyle, Backes third line to start the season. This line has the potential to be a possession monster. Perhaps the best third line in years.

I think Heinen is going to have a breakout year.

I'd also like to see Bjork brought up after some marinating down in Providence to spell Backes occasionally.

I'd prefer to reverse this- Bjork on that line with Backes occasionally filling in there and the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad