Post-Game Talk: PS Game 5 - Backes is BACK!!! - BRUINS 2 Newark 0 F

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

I saw that during the game and it gave me a chuckle. Shame the clock had hit zero before it snuck in.

As I said in another post Heinen didn't do an awful lot tonight but he just looked composed and comfortable, like a guy who increasingly knows his game and is confident in his spot and role with the team. Getting an 'A' was nice and just reinforces that. Hopefully the next step is that he can build on that secure base by continuing to improve the more dynamic and offensive parts of his game. Fingers crossed it's a big year for him.

jangerhofer

Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire
Does anyone have a sense of whether the ice condition has improved markedly over last season? I'd bet that the quality of the ice deteriorated over the course of the season, so it might be most fair to relate the current condition all the way back to the start of last season.

Also, did the Garden renovations ultimately include a migration of the refrigeration system? Never heard definitively after a few mentions!

Reactions: Strafer

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Does anyone have a sense of whether the ice condition has improved markedly over last season? I'd bet that the quality of the ice deteriorated over the course of the season, so it might be most fair to relate the current condition all the way back to the start of last season.

Also, did the Garden renovations ultimately include a migration of the refrigeration system? Never heard definitively after a few mentions!

That’s been an ongoing gag around here. Based on the ice condition from what everyone can tell from a visual perspective, and the organizations’ silence on the issue as a whole, the answer is most likely no.

Reactions: jangerhofer

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Take away from tonight's game,

Backes , WTF, I take it all back. Best game he's played in a long time. Good luck topping that Ritchie.

Bjork, WOW, I think it's gonna work for him this year if he can stay healthy.

Studnicka, Is gonna be a stud in 20lbs. All he needs is NHL strength. Scored a goal with his face, Dam.

Frederic, Liked his game tonight, probably his best game as a Bruin.

Lauzon, is an NHL caliber player. He's ready, sadly no room. Oh, and he can throw then too.

Steen, Looked good Again, He'll keep everybody in Boston honest because after just a little more getting used to NA rinks in the AHL, he's good to go.

Good game for pretty much everybody except a few, I'll keep it positive and leave it at that.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

No, it was mentioned that the long playoff run did not leave enough time for the new system to get installed.

The ice has not been good from what I've seen on TV.

Reactions: jangerhofer and BMC

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
No, it was mentioned that the long playoff run did not leave enough time for the new system to get installed.

The ice has not been good from what I've seen on TV.

So...if they keep going deep in the playoffs the ice will remain shitty?

I’m sure there is actual legitimacy to it of some sort but it just feels like a terrible excuse because new ice won’t bring in additional revenue. They install the refrigeration system for outdoor games in days...

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Good game. I really enjoy watching the kids play. This game and the Chicago game were so much fun to watch. There's someone to study on every shift. My thoughts...

Kuhlman, quick and creative. Best games of the preseason for him or any RW.
Frederic played physical and made some skilled plays. Had some good blocks and plays on PK too. Saved a goal with a block with 4mins left.
Backes - physical, smart, make some good plays to create turnovers and some great plays to create scoring chances. I'd love it if he could bring that
Bjork - such a presence, pressuring plays, forcing turnovers, the puck finds him over and over
Shen - really like his intelligence and subtle skill. Looking forward to see how he does in Providence this year.
Lindholm is growing on me. Quick, smart, generated scoring chances with Backes and Bjork and that line was the best line on the ice.
Heinen and Kuhlman made some nice plays together too. That line with Frederic was also very strong.
Sensyshyn looked quick and strong. Good possession player along the walls. Great bursts in open ice. Was happy to see him using his teammates and making some good plays off cycles instead of just solo’ing everything. Overall I was pleasantly surprised/impressed and definitely think it would be a mistake to write him off. He’s going to several call-ups this season.
Steen had another good game, sneaky skilled. Was very physical, love the quickness and tenacity.
Studnicka looks fast and poised. He made some good plays but I thought he looked a little lost in his own zone. He’s got a lot of work to do physically to get up to NHL strength too. My guess is he’s 2 years away from full time NHL duty but I'm excited about what he can become.
Lauzon looked really good; strong, competitive, good outlet passes... bona fide NHL'er right now.
Gryz and Mac just seem so dominant together.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Tonight was the dress rehearsal as the game with Chicago on Saturday will be against Rockford of the AHL as Chicago's main team flies to Europe tomorrow to start the season.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Bruins 2nd goal - sequence starts at 19:00 3rd period.

Bjork steals the puck along the boards in our zone, rushes up, creates a chance, - toe save by Blackwood. Devils player picks up the puck, skates up the ice into our zone, where he is stripped of the puck by Bjork again, he finds Lindholm - Backes scores few seconds later. Bjork picks up secondary assist, good.

aguineapig

Thinking we done struck Oil drillin' for prospects. J Lau gonna be Charlie's cup of Coffey as K Lowe was to Paul. Bjork skates and creates like Glenn Anderson, once he finds the back of the net watch out. And little Oskar Steen sneaky and mean lookin' like little Euro Ball of Hate Esa Tik Tok Tikkanen.

Reactions: Ratty and Blowfish

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011
The Bjork-Lindholm-Backes line was legitimately dominant. I could see Cassidy giving them another go in the regular season when the injuries inevitably pile up. Obviously it's the preseason, but their skill sets really seemed to compliment one another.

Lindholm could turn out to be a very solid addition. I didn't have much expectation for him coming in but his two-way game is quite decent. He was a PPG player in the SEL so he may have some untapped offensive potential. He'll get some games in this year for sure - not necessarily as a regular but he gives Cassidy some flexibility as a left handed center.

Backes's play was very encouraging. His straight line speed still leaves something to be desired but he does look way more agile and dynamic than at the end of last season. He's certainly showed a hell of a lot more than Ritchie this preseason. I think he deserves a shot in the regular season. My only concern is whether he can maintain this level of play consistently. He had flashes last year too (Game 2 vs. Toronto) but wasn't able to do it consistently. A rejuvenated Backes would be a very welcome surprise.

Bjork is absolutely ready. It sounds like Cassidy is planning to start him in Providence, which I don't think is necessary but probably not a huge problem provided he gets his chance in Boston sooner rather than later. He looks like a man out there now: assertive, strong on the boards, not afraid to drive to the net. I think he's going to force his way into the top 9 one way or another. I'd love to see him get another shot with Bergeron and Marchand at some point.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Thinking we done struck Oil drillin' for prospects. J Lau gonna be Charlie's cup of Coffey as K Lowe was to Paul. Bjork skates and creates like Glenn Anderson, once he finds the back of the net watch out. And little Oskar Steen sneaky and mean lookin' like little Euro Ball of Hate Esa Tik Tok Tikkanen.

And Backes is 99.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
The Bjork-Lindholm-Backes line was legitimately dominant. I could see Cassidy giving them another go in the regular season when the injuries inevitably pile up. Obviously it's the preseason, but their skill sets really seemed to compliment one another.

Lindholm could turn out to be a very solid addition. I didn't have much expectation for him coming in but his two-way game is quite decent. He was a PPG player in the SEL so he may have some untapped offensive potential. He'll get some games in this year for sure - not necessarily as a regular but he gives Cassidy some flexibility as a left handed center.

Backes's play was very encouraging. His straight line speed still leaves something to be desired but he does look way more agile and dynamic than at the end of last season. He's certainly showed a hell of a lot more than Ritchie this preseason. I think he deserves a shot in the regular season. My only concern is whether he can maintain this level of play consistently. He had flashes last year too (Game 2 vs. Toronto) but wasn't able to do it consistently. A rejuvenated Backes would be a very welcome surprise.

Bjork is absolutely ready. It sounds like Cassidy is planning to start him in Providence, which I don't think is necessary but probably not a huge problem provided he gets his chance in Boston sooner rather than later. He looks like a man out there now: assertive, strong on the boards, not afraid to drive to the net. I think he's going to force his way into the top 9 one way or another. I'd love to see him get another shot with Bergeron and Marchand at some point.
Where did you hear/read that Cassidy plans to start Bjork in Providence?

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Where did you hear/read that Cassidy plans to start Bjork in Providence?

See Post #913 quoting Joe McDonald in this thread: Boston Bruins - Training Camp 2019

2. Bruce Cassidy basically admitted on Tuesday forward Anders Bjork will begin the season in Providence. A pair of shoulder injuries and subsequent surgeries derailed the start of the talented 23-year-old’s pro career, but he’s healthy and close to reaching his potential at this stage. The plan will be for Bjork to play in Providence to regain his confidence, scoring touch and log as much ice time as possible before Boston calls again.

I think Bjork looks really good now and should be in Boston.

Reactions: Estlin and Ladyfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad