FACEOFF SUMMARY

FACEOFF COMPARISON

TOI BRUINS

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Backes trade value has never been higher, do it now Sweeney. Could be the best way out of that contract. Bjork was fantastic tonight, could play on the top line. Stud looked good as did Lindholm. Halak almost scored and got the shutout. Jersey did not play a great game. Bruins players were all too good.

Reactions: bbfan419

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
If there's a team with more depth right now in the NHL I'm not sure who it is. Teams like Tampa and Washington probably have more top-end talent and a few like the Rangers have better prospects, but the Bs must go close to having the best mix up and down the roster. It's not perfect, but it's a real credit to Sweeney and co.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
No his just his play that makes it look like he’s being showcased.

You miss the point. I meant Sweeney is injecting him into almost every pre-season game. To me that is what it looks like. Pre-season is not a reward for your play, like the playoffs. Its for bubble players to audition. That is why so few vets have played yet. Let's be honest he played good tonight and decent to good the last game, before that not much going on. He is in tough and may well be the 13th forward. Best scenario is Sweeney finds a team that is willing to take him, where he can get more ice.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
You miss the point. I meant Sweeney is injecting him into almost every pre-season game. To me that is what it looks like. Pre-season is not a reward for your play, like the playoffs. Its for bubble players to audition. That is why so few vets have played yet.
No, if he were "being showcased" he would have been on Krejci's or Coyle's wing to start the last game, not scrapping together a 2 pt night playing on the 4th line with Lauko and Kuraly. He's not being sheltered to prop him up for pro scouts Sweeney and Cassidy have him fighting for his job,

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
So many good things to say:
  • Backes was the best player on the ice, without a doubt
  • Kampfer hardly got a mention on the broadcast but he looked really good
  • Carlo is just incredible. He broke up so many plays and his first pass is top-notch
  • McAvoy is really starting to look like a true #1, Sky's the limit.
  • Gryz struggled in his last game but he was a different player today. Outstanding
  • Lauzon pounded that guy. Had a couple misplays but was pretty good overall
  • Steen is one of the few guys who really impressed all preseason. Bright future. I hope he goes down for a couple months and comes back and takes the 2RW spot with a vengeance.
  • Bjork was good but has anyone noticed how many times he's fumbled and mishandled the puck this preseason?
  • Lindholm looks like he could be a solid asset. Would have liked for that one off the post to go in for his offensive confidence
  • Heinen. This guy is going to have a great season. He's got the trust of the coach and is really playing within himself.
  • Kuhlman. The broadcast really built him up but he had a few giveaways too
  • Carey. He's a forgotten man but he's a smart player. He screwed up a couple times but I like what he brings.
  • Shen showed a lot in this one. He made a lot of smart, safe plays and was good with the puck too.
  • Frederic. I was really starting to get negative on him but he got his feet moving today and made plays. Still lots of upside there.
  • Senyshyn. I want it to happen but he's gotta make it happen. Tough role in this one and he didn't make any glaring mistakes but he didn't turn any heads either.
  • Halak. So glad he's a Bruin.
Opening night:

Marchand Bergeron Pastrnak
DeBrusk Krejci Ritchie
Heinen Coyle Backes
Lindholm Kuraly Wagner
Kuhlman
Gaunce/Carey
Nordstrom (IR)

I think Ritchie gets in there on opening night because it's against his old team but it will come down to how he plays on Saturday.

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
to me Bjork has made the team... and for those with short memories he made the team the last couple years too. its not a question of talent with this kid. he has the talent... and its not really a question of his work either. as a young kid hes allowed to be a little inconsistent.

its been all about health with Bjork and getting derailed by unfortunate injuries. I suppose injuries are always a reality anyone might have to deal with... but Bjork was hurt more than a lot of guys by his...

if he stays healthy he will have a spot in the top 9 this year

theres not a lot of spots in the top 9 open... so its going to be interesting how it shakes out... locks to play are
1/Bergeron
2/marchand
3/pastrnak
4/krejci
5/debrusk
6/coyle
and I say 7/Heinen... hes in this mix for as long as he remains with the team

7 out of 9 top spots are pretty much written in stone... so who are the contenders for the other 2 spots in order of how I see the odds playing out?

1/Bjork... sorry to anyone that disagrees but his skillset isnt suited to a 4th line. if he is playing he will be in the top 9... and I am betting my bottom dollar he will be playing this year

2/backes… no not just based on this game... backes is providing size/grit which for those that dont understand... is something the team prizes. someone that can grind/fight is going to play and for now backes is above Ritchie on the pecking order

* this screws Karson kuhlman I think... he deserves better. I love this kid. its filthy depth when we cant find a spot for him. luckily hes young enough he can slide through waivers and probably benefit from a top role in providence for the time being

3/brett Ritchie... I think backes will play first but backes wont play everygame… he is going to get load management. theres no more natural replacement in the lineup than Ritchie. can Ritchie grab the bull by the horns and end up eventually getting the spot fulltime? we all know we want to trade backes asap... so theres a job waiting for Ritchie if he can step up for it. for now expect Ritchie to start as a pressbox forward. I dont see him getting waived and sent to providence.

*steen… far as im concerned if we didnt have more logical guys... I could really see steen get that chance to start with the big team... would make me happy... but if we are going to play a kid, Karson kuhlman is ahead of steen on the pecking order. I am really looking forward to seeing steen get some nhl games sometime this year though if injuries open a spot.

I see Bjork actually in the top 6... and then the backes/Ritchie rotation rounding out the 3rd line... and I think theres a good chance the bruins top 9 are going to rank top 5 group in the league. these guys are very underrated and as a fan we should be feeling pretty good what a well balanced/defensively sound/hard working group we have here... and so so so deep... its great

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->