GDT: PS Game #4| New Jersey at FLYERS |Thu., Sep. 25, 2014| 7:00 p.m. ET

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Laughton had an excellent showing, but the Devils never had any sustained pressure, so this shouldn't in itself be used to prove his performance.

Either way, Laughton is an NHLer and likely capable of playing in the top nine right out of the gate, imo.

-Raffl, Akeson, and Lecavalier is working exactly as I had hoped. Two guys who play very low maintenance games are allowing Lecavalier to not get in anybody's way which is exactly what we should be aiming for.

-BSchenn looked solid. Had more composure tonight than he usually did last season. That bodes well.

-Voracek will be a superstar sooner than later. He's going to be a PPG player.

-Ghost is better than LSchenn, Grossmann, and MacDonald. I see no reason to send him down, though he likely will be.

-Morin may be in the NHL soon, and he may be an effective NHLer at that time, but his prime will be several years down the road. He's the kind of guy who will finally become the player he was supposed to be in the back half of his 20s, imo.

-Laughton was fantastic. There isn't room to be a top nine center, but I certainly wouldn't be against letting him play some wing to get some opportunity with skilled players (perhaps he could even complete the Read-Couturier line).

It's just preseason, but I am stoked mainly because this game finally settled Laughton and Gostisbehere down. Both were doing alright, but they seemed to be treading water. Tonight they both learned they are capable of thriving, and that will go a long way. Once these guys see what they are capable of doing, it flips a switch. Wherever they start, at least they will know they are capable of handling a pro game.

EDIT: Streit was also awesome. I don't give a **** about size. Ghost, Streit, and all other small-ish puck movers drive the play forward. They may get beat on D, but they are defending far less than guys like Grossmann and Schenn.

I said this last year and got laughed at. Streit is a #1. Not Pronger, franchise level, but a #1. 40-50pts (EV + PP) and average to above average D is a #1 in my books.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Interesting. Flyers might be able to roll 4 strong lines. That is a big piece to winning a cup. I think the flyers going to surprise teams big time this year.

Even thought I hate the bruins that line of Thornton Cambell and I think. Paille made that team so much better during there runs. If flyers make a fourth line that a) can create b) kill penalties and defend 2nd best lines regularly and c) win draws, then the will win a lot more games.

10-28-93
24-14-17
18-40-42
12-21-78

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't be surprised to see the devils pick top 10 in the draft. They just don't have much young talent. A couple of injuries and mediocre play from their vet defenseman and they are screwed.

Doesn't look good for the guys in red. Add an aging forward corps.

I thought & still do to this point that they are a bubble team. I like Schneider & think he can be top notch goalie. I'm just weary of him because he's never played 60+ games yet in his career. If he can play at a high level for 60+ games then I think they make the playoffs. He's their biggest difference maker in my opinion.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I wouldn't be surprised to see the devils pick top 10 in the draft. They just don't have much young talent. A couple of injuries and mediocre play from their vet defenseman and they are screwed.

Andy Greene
Marek Zidlicky
Bryce Salvador
Jon Merrill
Eric Gelinas
Adam Larsson
Peter Harrold

Damon Severson (Rookie)
Reece Scarlett (Rookie)
Seth Helgeson (Rookie)
Brandon Burlon (Rookie)
Raman Hrabarenka (Rookie)
Corbin McPherson
Dan Kelly Rookie
Steve Santini (Rookie) (College)
Joshua Jacobs (Rookie) (College)
Ryan Rehill (Rookie) (Juniors)
Alexander Urbom (Europe)

Doesn't look good for the guys in red. Add an aging forward corps.

Every time we count the Devils out, they sneak up on us. They're an older team sure, but they can roll 4 lines. They don't really depend on one line or one top pairing. And of course Schneider has the ability to steal games.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Bundy's interview with Morin was cute. The kid was still so excited after the game.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Yeah it was one play, but it was like they just knew where to be. You know how some players just look comfortable together? They looked like that. You could put them on a line together and they'd have no problems playing together at all.

Ehh you're reaching. Let's see it for more than one shift before we overreact.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah it was one play, but it was like they just knew where to be. You know how some players just look comfortable together? They looked like that. You could put them on a line together and they'd have no problems playing together at all.

Nah not really. I mean good for Laughton to ignore the change so he could jump in the rush & drive the net which lead to the finish but Voracek can make a lot players with a pulse look good in that scenario.

Schenn & Voracek looked good together tonight though, should bode well when they play with Giroux & not Gordon.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Laughton looked like he belonged in the NHL. Voracek and him having chemistry, however, that's just Voracek making an incredible play to a guy who seems like he knows where he should be.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Good game, but they were playing essentially an AHL team on steroids.
So let's wait a few more games shall we before deciding some players are ready for the NFL.

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Wasn't able to watch the game and just checked out the scoreboard. ****ing awesome that Laughton showed up and Ghost was able to pick up a goal. Were they as dominating as the scoreboard indicates?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Wasn't able to watch the game and just checked out the scoreboard. ****ing awesome that Laughton showed up and Ghost was able to pick up a goal. Were they as dominating as the scoreboard indicates?

Yes, game was never in doubt. They jumped on them early & never looked back. They out played them in every facet of the game. The score could have possibly been more.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Every time we count the Devils out, they sneak up on us. They're an older team sure, but they can roll 4 lines. They don't really depend on one line or one top pairing. And of course Schneider has the ability to steal games.

If they manage to turn their shootout record around, they'd be in this year, IMO. They're not a star studded line up but the Devils always pick the perfect players to complement their system.

Anyway, nice to see the kids play well. Laughton, Ghost, Morin, and Leier all looked good. Especially surprised with Leier. Not as far away from the NHL as I expected!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00