MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
First offering of the year:

th

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Laughton on radio, post-game, was asked if quickness of players is the biggest different between the NHL and Juniors and he said it wasn't. "It is the time you have with the puck. Puck on stick, you (need) a quick release." Interesting perception.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Very excited for Gostisbehere, Sanheim (despite the fact that he's farther away then everyone else), Morin, and Laughton. Just for the sake of fun predictions, I'm thinking Laughton makes the team at some point this year, Ghost gets a half a year to the full year in the AHL for fine tuning (depending on how bad any of our D our and how good Ghost is in the minors), and Morin develops for another year before getting a good shake at making the club.

I'm very excited for our prospects and content with the moves of the club (we're going to ignore Rinaldo and Emery existing, for now). I'm not used to this, I don't know what to do with myself.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Surprised to see Akeson only had 12mins of icetime.

Rinaldo led all forwards with 17:05.

Morin had 21:37.

Ghost - 16:42

Laughton - 16:54.

Leier - 14:51.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Morin got better and better as the game went on tonight. Good stuff by the big kid.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Laughton was 89% Corsi tonight 5v5. 2 CA's.

Laughton had an excellent showing, but the Devils never had any sustained pressure, so this shouldn't in itself be used to prove his performance.

Either way, Laughton is an NHLer and likely capable of playing in the top nine right out of the gate, imo.

-Raffl, Akeson, and Lecavalier is working exactly as I had hoped. Two guys who play very low maintenance games are allowing Lecavalier to not get in anybody's way which is exactly what we should be aiming for.

-BSchenn looked solid. Had more composure tonight than he usually did last season. That bodes well.

-Voracek will be a superstar sooner than later. He's going to be a PPG player.

-Ghost is better than LSchenn, Grossmann, and MacDonald. I see no reason to send him down, though he likely will be.

-Morin may be in the NHL soon, and he may be an effective NHLer at that time, but his prime will be several years down the road. He's the kind of guy who will finally become the player he was supposed to be in the back half of his 20s, imo.

-Laughton was fantastic. There isn't room to be a top nine center, but I certainly wouldn't be against letting him play some wing to get some opportunity with skilled players (perhaps he could even complete the Read-Couturier line).

It's just preseason, but I am stoked mainly because this game finally settled Laughton and Gostisbehere down. Both were doing alright, but they seemed to be treading water. Tonight they both learned they are capable of thriving, and that will go a long way. Once these guys see what they are capable of doing, it flips a switch. Wherever they start, at least they will know they are capable of handling a pro game.

EDIT: Streit was also awesome. I don't give a **** about size. Ghost, Streit, and all other small-ish puck movers drive the play forward. They may get beat on D, but they are defending far less than guys like Grossmann and Schenn.

Last edited:

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Assuming Laughton makes the roster, a Read-Couturier-Laughton line sounds extremely intriguing and just smexy in two-way play. Three guys who are great defensively, but also skilled enough to contribute quality secondary scoring.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Idk about for sure. He's had one good game against a Devils' team that has brought very little tonight. It again comes down to whether they want him playing 20 minutes a night in all situations or 10 minutes a night. I still think he starts the year in Allentown.

2 months ago I would have agreed but, he makes our team better now. Will probably play 15 minutes a night in the NHL. He is ready and is better on D than a lot if the vets. Only reason he starts on AHL is due to cap reasons.

Leire also almost nhl ready. Prob next year, but would be my choice for a call up.

Last edited:

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Prior to this game I didn't think Laughton was ready or did I think it was smart to keep him here. However after tonight I think IF given proper line mates he makes this team so much deeper and harder o play against. But the big question is who his line mates are. A line of Raffl/Umberger-Laughton-PEB (who is a question mark and is more hype) would do wonders for the other lines. The domino affect would be huge as couts line can have better match ups, VLC line plays less and doesn't get thrown out against a offensive line only cuz g and couts are gassed. I really hope the flyers reconsider how to build the 4th line

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I thought the preseason was serious business to some of you's but then I read the Debbie's board & have gained a new perspective. :laugh:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the devils pick top 10 in the draft. They just don't have much young talent. A couple of injuries and mediocre play from their vet defenseman and they are screwed.

Andy Greene
Marek Zidlicky
Bryce Salvador
Jon Merrill
Eric Gelinas
Adam Larsson
Peter Harrold

Damon Severson (Rookie)
Reece Scarlett (Rookie)
Seth Helgeson (Rookie)
Brandon Burlon (Rookie)
Raman Hrabarenka (Rookie)
Corbin McPherson
Dan Kelly Rookie
Steve Santini (Rookie) (College)
Joshua Jacobs (Rookie) (College)
Ryan Rehill (Rookie) (Juniors)
Alexander Urbom (Europe)

Doesn't look good for the guys in red. Add an aging forward corps.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Prior to this game I didn't think Laughton was ready or did I think it was smart to keep him here. However after tonight I think IF given proper line mates he makes this team so much deeper and harder o play against. But the big question is who his line mates are. A line of Raffl/Umberger-Laughton-PEB (who is a question mark and is more hype) would do wonders for the other lines. The domino affect would be huge as couts line can have better match ups, VLC line plays less and doesn't get thrown out against a offensive line only cuz g and couts are gassed. I really hope the flyers reconsider how to build the 4th line

Interesting. Flyers might be able to roll 4 strong lines. That is a big piece to winning a cup. I think the flyers going to surprise teams big time this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad