GDT: PS Game #4| New Jersey at FLYERS |Thu., Sep. 25, 2014| 7:00 p.m. ET

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Honestly, this would be my (healthy) lineup...

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Umberger-Lecavalier-Akeson
-Laughton-Raffl

Streit-Coburn
MacDonald-Gostisbehere
Schenn-Del Zotto
Grossmann

Flyers2819

Nov 12, 2013
Springfield VA
Honestly, this would be my (healthy) lineup...

Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Umberger-Lecavalier-Akeson
-Laughton-Raffl

Streit-Coburn
MacDonald-Gostisbehere
Schenn-Del Zotto
Grossmann

I'd put bellemare on that final LW position. I think that is a great 4 lines. Our 4th line would be very dangerous.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
just saw tonites goal by ghost...great shot. from what i saw of him in the ncaas his one- timer was awesome. something else hes gonna bring us especially on the pp. he is gonna be a weapon!:handclap:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
we need a legit 2c who can put up 50 pts atleast. and its not gonna be coots.

DQ8HA.gif

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
You're right. We need a legitimate second line...

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds
Read - Couturier - Voracek
Akeson - Lecavalier - Raffl
Umberger - Laughton - Bellemare

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
look i love coots. There is nothing i want more than for him to become the beast on offense we all hoped he would be. there is nothing i want to do more than go on the winnipeg board, the ottawa board, the florida board, and raise hell about them blowing it by not drafting coots.

He is not that guy, but that is ok. He is a dominate shutdown guy. He is more important to us in that 3rd line shutdown role than in a 2c scoring role where he is ill fitted.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
I feel like voracek has chemistry with anyone he plays with, which is why id love to separate him and giroux.

He looks like he might have actually made the jump this year where he can play anywhere. Makes anyone he plays with look good. This season is getting more interesting by the day. The conditioning level is definitely noticeable from last season.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
You're right. We need a legitimate second line...

Schenn - Giroux - Simmonds
Read - Couturier - Voracek
Raffl - Lecavalier - Akeson
Umberger - Laughton - Bellemare

Made a slight fix, but yeah I could see that as well. There is no clear cut 2nd or 3rd line, but you can roll all 4 lines and potentially score a goal ever shift. Not a bad idea, but I have a feeling lines will change a lot over the season.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Schenn with voracek on his wing could put up 60 pts no joke

He can't put up 50 points? Are you kidding?

If he's not relied on to be the only real shut-down defense this team can muster he'll have a chance to score more. It's not like Read and Couturier have been paired with offensively oriented linemates either. Downie was horrible last year other than a week or two week long stretch when he decided to actually play hockey properly and during that time the line was great offensively and defensively. Even if we're completely ignoring his age and the fact that he can still absolutely improve then you still have to at least wait to see how he does this year, assuming Berube really intends on giving him more offensive opportunities, before making a statement like that.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Gostisbehere is damn awesome with puck! Not that It is surprise but he is quite dominating already on this level. I want to see him with big team so much. That power play with G and Ghost feeding each other, my god. He has absolutely deadly, quick and power release. We got an absolute steal here. IMO he has the potential to be the best defenseman from his draft class.

Last edited by a moderator:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Couturier put up 39 points while playing in a pure defensive role (3rd line center) at the age of 21. Really hard to say he cant put up 11 more points has he gets abit older, and doesnt play pure defensively and gets more offensive zone starts.

Side note. Vinny looked the best he has been since coming here (still had a few pucks BLOW off his stick. What is seriously up with that) with Raffl and Akeson. This is the Flyers though so we will see Umberger put back on that line instead.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Schenn with voracek on his wing could put up 60 pts no joke

Couturier scored one less ES point than BSchenn did while facing much harder competition. He can absolutely be the 2C. Whether he scores 40 or 50 points hinges on PP production.

And they won't take our best winger away from our best center on the 1st line.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Also Raffl looked really good. You can tell the weight he put on really made him harder to take down. He would always fly when he got hit. He was taking hits last night real well, and with his speed it could be a deadly combo for the team.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Gostisbehere is damn awesome with puck! Not that It is surprise but he is quite dominating already on this level. I want to see him with big team so much. That power play with G and Ghost feeding each other, my god. He has absolutely deadly, quick and power release. We got an absolute steal here. IMO he has the potential to be the best defenseman from his draft class.

He looked much more comfortable and assertive out there with the puck.....we have ourselves a diamond in the rough. He still needs to polish his game but I love how he mans the point and pinches..always moving his feet and he has very good shot selection and a hard shot. He should be a regular sometime this season but I would like him to start with the farm team and work with Murray.

Last edited by a moderator:

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Really excited for Couturier and Raffl this season. I definitely think Couturier can score 50 points this season if he gets some more opportunities at even strength. Part of that might be contingent on who ends up making up our 4th line (if it's a good defensive unit or just a crappy "energy" line)

Raffl, I can see him putting up 40 pts. this season. His added strength is going to be a huge boost

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Last night all of our youth really stepped up to the plate and performed very well. Ghost, Morin, Laughton(big time), and Leier were damn impressive. I am still big on Morin and love his potential and we can see he already is a good in his own zone. I really feel the offense will come, especially when he is fully grown and comfortable at his size. Ghost, we all saw what he brings, the lateral movement was extremely impressive as well. Foot speed is no issue with any of them, as we all saw how long Morin's strides are that help him cover a ton of ice. Ghost is much more quick but they look like they can keep up with each other.

Now Laughton, I have said I don't think he tops out as a 40 point player in the NHL. He really did remind me of "he who shall not be named" last night. He is really coming into his own and I love we are letting these kids take time to develop. Laughton has better speed though than the player everyone compares him to. He attacked the net hard which is something you always want to see out of your forwards. Same with Leier. They are not afraid to battle and that is such an exciting part of their game. Schenn is playing good hockey as well, smart decisions and is scoring. I am in the minority(I know Flyersfan61290 or close) agrees that people are a little too harsh on him. He is showing(I know preseason!) that when given top opportunity he is producing. I see big things out of Schenn, Couts, and Laughton in the near future.

The one aspect of Morins game I would like to see him improve is his angles when attacking players in the corners. He should just watch tape of Pronger in that regard, he would submerge you and there was no getting away from him. Morin sometimes takes the wrong angle where a players can make a move and escape. I am sure it's something he will improve with time though.

Last edited:

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
That game was very impressive all around. All the prospects looked good.

Still like what im seeing from Jones and Gordon as well...huge difference from last year in terms of competition created in camp. I like that Hextall did two way contracts for a lot of guys.

Laughton is ready and wants to make the team so bad, hopefully he continues to show it this preseason.

Ghost is really close as well, I would take him over most of our current D. In the same breath, i think that if he had a year to dominate at the AHL level that would really help his development.

Morin needs to dominate at Junior this year and show more of what he has learned working with the trainers and staff this preseason. If he can go and play 20 minutes a night in junior and get physically stronger (not bigger or gain weight but just improve overall strength) he may make the team out of camp next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad