Post-Game Talk: PS#5 Flyers @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Yeah if he didn't have 5 guys ahead of him on the depth chart.

Incorrect logic. Him having 5 guys ahead of him on the depth chart does not affect the value that he brings to the team for 3 main reasons.

1. He is currently 6th on the depth chart, but plays as good as a 4th. That's paying for a premium. When you pay for a 6th, you usually get a 6th.
2. Boyle is gone next year and Klein can be in the top 4 for a mesely 2.9 million. When the next wave of defenseman contracts goes around we will be laughing at that 2.9 million.
3. Injuries happen every year. One of our top 5 will get injured. Not if, when. When they do, Klein fills in for the top 4 and we don't miss a beat defensively.

Last edited:

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
The only flaw in that logic is that one of those guys won't be here next season. Staal-Klein as the 2nd pair? Uh, idk

Staal-Klein
Yandle-Klein

Whatever you want. It's a good 2nd pair. Take a look around the league.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
If we genuinely think McIlrath is going to develop into a solid NHL player the best guy to leave the D corps would be Boyle.

High cap hit. 40 years old. 1 year left anyways.

Klein is on probably the greatest contract amongst NHL defenseman so moving him is the most illogical thing ever I cringe when people suggest this. 2.9 for 4 more years. By that time that will be entry level contracts. Klein's contract is good if he's a top 4, which he shouldn't be on this team. Staal and Girardi are both better than him.

McDonagh-Girardi
Yandle-Klein
Staal-McIlrath
Diaz

We use Boyle's 5 million at the deadline to go get a scoring winger for the top 6.

This, of course, is if McIlrath is as good as he is being praised. (Haven't watched a single second of preseason hockey)

Klein is the expendable one. Girardi and Staal play a similar role to Klein, but they get harder match ups and minutes. They're life long Rangers and both on recently signed extensions with NMCs. This leaves Klein as the expendable one.

The way to look at it is the 2016 Rangers D, after Boyle retires/leaves:

McD/Girardi
Staal/Yandle
Skjei/McIlrath

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Klein is the expendable one. Girardi and Staal play a similar role to Klein, but they get harder match ups and minutes. They're life long Rangers and both on recently signed extensions with NMCs. This leaves Klein as the expendable one.

The way to look at it is the 2016 Rangers D, after Boyle retires/leaves:

McD/Girardi
Staal/Yandle
Skjei/McIlrath

Saves us pennies. You won't find higher value with the 2.9 million.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Boyle is a ****ing disaster out there. He is a turnover machine. I wish they could find a way to ditch him.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Skjei and McIlrath will both be on very cheap deals.

1.9 million is saved by switching from Klein to a rookie D.

Kreider's next contract alone will approach 6 million.

Trading Klein does not fix our cap issues.

Long term, it would actually make our cap issues worse.

There is never a scenario where trading a player on a good contract helps your cap situation. That's literally backwards thinking. Good contracts = good for the cap.

This is the proper logic.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Sure. Staal or Yandle. And it'd be a great 3rd pair.

There's really no arguing, some kiddies just don't want a stacked backend.

This and Hank is what will keep the Rangers in contention. The window might close after this year, but that'll be for a year or two to sort out the cap if that.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
There is never a scenario where trading a player on a good contract helps your cap situation. That's literally backwards thinking. Good contracts = good for the cap.

This is the proper logic.

Er.... what?

So, if I have 12 Sidney Crosby's signed (great contracts) for 6 million per year, which puts me over the cap, I should "never" trade one of them because it doesn't help my cap situation?

Logic fail.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
A few impressions:

Stalberg was noticeable out there - didn't realize how big/physical this guy play(ed)s. The thing that bugs me, though, is that if this guy always plays like this then why is he bouncing around the league? Obvious answer is that he doesn't which makes me hopeful that he does this year.

Mcilrath is going to make this team.

Staal looks the furthest behind of any of our "regulars". He's been terrible.

Not really impressed with Etem and it's not for a lack of effort on his part. You can tell the staff wants to like him but I don't think he's been all that impressive.

Same for Hayes to certain degree - though he looks like it's more of a conditioning factor than anything else.

Raanta looks like a serviceable backup.

Put either Stoll or Moore on wing on a line with Hayes and let them take draws if they need to - but Hayes actually had a decent night on draws.

I hope the Rangers can find a way to retain Yandle despite his defensive deficiencies - the guy is great to watch.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
We would have every aging superstar in the league under contract, lol

I'm so sick of this line of thinking! Sather, whom by the way, is no longer the GM, began trading all of "the aging stars" for draft picks, prior to the bs salary cap going into effect! Sather, I believe, initially followed that flawed logic because he made that ridiculous statement about how if he had the Rangers payroll he'd win the SC every year.

The salary cap is

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
We would have every aging superstar in the league under contract, lol

I'm so sick of this line of thinking! Sather, whom by the way, is no longer the GM, began trading all of "the aging stars" for draft picks, prior to the bs salary cap going into effect! Sather, I believe, initially followed that flawed logic because he made that ridiculous statement about how if he had the Rangers payroll he'd win the SC every year.

The salary cap is punitive and disproportionately effects the successful organizations! If they wanted to go this route, they should have done the same thing the NFL did and not have guaranteed contracts.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
they need to stop with the pretty passes and shoot when they have the lane. that one PP when we were pretty much tap passing and shooting immediately...any extended o-zone time needs to look like that. can't give the other team any time to compose themselves. felt like too many shots went into Mason's chest.

that being said, Yandle is an animal and needs to shoot more. sweet snipe.

gg, boys, do it again tomorrow night :yo:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Lirl, McDonagh with the super casual 81 CF% tonight.

Also, look what happens when we ice 18 capable skaters. Four complete lines that constantly were able to pressure the Flyers all night long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad