Post-Game Talk: PS#5 Flyers @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
There those who laud the cap as saving the Rangers from themselves even though we will see from this point forward the full ramifications it has on the more successful teams while rewarding the ****** teams. I believe, Sather knew he could not win by trading away 1st round picks every year for over the hill has been and needed to begin developing a farm team. Chevepanov was the beginning price of that and had tragedy not struck, there's a very good chance we're talking about a SC maybe 2!
A few of those signing and trades he brings I think actually worked out well for us. As you stated Gomer put up his normal point production his first two seasons and ultimately got us Mcdonagh Bure we got for nothing and was lighting it up until his knee went out! Lindros was good here as well!

The problem with Lindros and Bure was that the overall team back then wasn't good enough to bring in two good players and have it be successful, so it was ultimately kind of a waste, but Sather believed he could build the team through FA and the farm system was crap going back to the days of Smith.

Whether it's because he knew a cap was coming or not, Sather eventually stopped trying to build the team exclusively through UFA and high profile trades and started putting more resources into scouting and development. It took awhile to get things right and in the meantime they lucked into a motivated Jagr and some signings that worked great as his linemates

That all said...whatever. Sather definitely did some bad things, definitely did some good things, overall has been alright for the past while and has turned things over to Gorton who also seems at least alright.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
it was rare that Sather traded any prospect of worth for an aging player. even when he traded for those aging players he almost never gave up something you regretted.

except for MSL, and at that point we were on the cusp.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The cap is one of the best things to happen to this organization in the last 20 years.

In regards to the game, the team looked good. Some random thoughts:

Raanta looked solid, but his rebound control is a little scary. Should be a decent backup though.

McIlrath continues to play very well. My only concern is that going from getting into almost every game to being in the press-box most nights could cause some major consistency problems for him. He's outplayed Klein, but 4 or 5 games isn't enough for him to start over him.

McDonagh and Girardi were great.

Staal was shaky, but it's to be expected given how his summer went.

Boyle was awful. Turnover after turnover.

Yandle had some brainfarts as well, but he looks much more comfortable out there. Beauty of a penalty shot and he and McIlrath seem to have some solid chemistry.

Hayes finally stepped up his game. Was a force out there.

Miller came out like a madman, but that whole line cooled off eventually.

Nash, Kreids and Step all look great.

Stalberg looks like he wants a spot badly. Big question is whether or not he can keep up the intensity over the course of the whole season.

Stoll quietly had another solid game.

Fast was quiet. Looks like he's feeling the effects of bouncing between linemates so much.

Overall it was nice to see a near-full lineup on the ice. The team looks fast and is a lot of fun to watch.

I went to the garden last night. Hayes was one of the worst players on the ice in the first period. As the game went on he got more comfortable and looked to be skating better and making better decisions with the puck. From what I saw last night, he's either forcing a pass, not looking when he passes, or simply trying to do too much himself. I think once he simplifies his game and finds a comfort level he's going to be having some good games.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
it was rare that Sather traded any prospect of worth for an aging player. even when he traded for those aging players he almost never gave up something you regretted.

except for MSL, and at that point we were on the cusp.

I miss Kim Johnsson and all the good years he gave the Flyers but it's arguable that he would have been as good with the Rangers

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The problem with Lindros and Bure was that the overall team back then wasn't good enough to bring in two good players and have it be successful, so it was ultimately kind of a waste, but Sather believed he could build the team through FA and the farm system was crap going back to the days of Smith.

Whether it's because he knew a cap was coming or not, Sather eventually stopped trying to build the team exclusively through UFA and high profile trades and started putting more resources into scouting and development. It took awhile to get things right and in the meantime they lucked into a motivated Jagr and some signings that worked great as his linemates

That all said...whatever. Sather definitely did some bad things, definitely did some good things, overall has been alright for the past while and has turned things over to Gorton who also seems at least alright.

The real problem with Bure and Lindros when they finally donned NYR Jersey's were that they were both shells of their former selves.

Bure was literally on his last leg.

And Lindros had just missed a whole season due to PCS. Additionally Sather (the brainiac) signed the guy to a games played contract ensuring that he would be a perimeter player. And that first year playing with Theo, he put up some decent numbers, after that, a non-entity

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Bure was incredible in the games he played with the Rangers....his problem was strictly injuries..when he was on the ice he was unstoppable.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yandle's penalty-shot snipe was just nasty. Beautiful shot.

I thought Mason was a little too quick to back in, and made himself look smaller than usual...when hes challenging is when hes at his best...he kinda contracted everything inwards on the shot...looked like there was a lot of places Yandle coulda scored on that one.

just my 2 cents anyways.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I thought Hayes kinda sucked last night.

I thought Hayes kinda sucked all preseason. I'm not sure he did much training this off season because he's looked slow, sloppy, out of shape and like he hasn't touched a puck in months.

Hayes, Staal and Boyle have been terrible so far. Everyone else may need to tweak some things but those three don't look remotely prepared for regular season.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I thought Hayes kinda sucked all preseason. I'm not sure he did much training this off season because he's looked slow, sloppy, out of shape and like he hasn't touched a puck in months.

Hayes, Staal and Boyle have been terrible so far. Everyone else may need to tweak some things but those three don't look remotely prepared for regular season.

hayes probably put on muscle this summer and hasnt been able to make it work with his skating yet. i do think a lot of young players do too much off ice summer training and not enough skating/puck work.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
Kreider-Step-Nash: i thought they played great that line needs to stay togther.

Miller-Brass-Zucc: good not great if miller crashes the net more that line will be dominant.

Stalberg-Hayes-Fast: looks like a line that was createdduring pickup hockey zero chemistry. But give it time and it will become one of our best possession lines.

Stoll/Moore-Moore/Stoll-Etem: i absolutely loved that line Moore Stoll combo is quietly exciting and i think etem should be on that line not because he sucks or anything like that but because he mesh well with those two. If they stay togther they'll be the best 4th line in the NHL IMO.

McD-G: Must of gotten a time machine because they look like 13-14' McD and G. Hope they keep it up.

Staal-Boyle: Looked like rusty vets who don't care about preseason but in Staals defense he's still getting over that injury.

Yandle-The undertaker: Yandle is a god and Mcl is looking better each game he won the #7 spot.

Raanta: Very steady I think he'll go 12-8 on the season.

Lindberg and Mcl as the extras hank between the pipes go to war and get that cup!! :yo:

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Kreider-Step-Nash: i thought they played great that line needs to stay togther.

Miller-Brass-Zucc: good not great if miller crashes the net more that line will be dominant.

Stalberg-Hayes-Fast: looks like a line that was createdduring pickup hockey zero chemistry. But give it time and it will become one of our best possession lines.

Stoll/Moore-Moore/Stoll-Etem: i absolutely loved that line Moore Stoll combo is quietly exciting and i think etem should be on that line not because he sucks or anything like that but because he mesh well with those two. If they stay togther they'll be the best 4th line in the NHL IMO.

McD-G: Must of gotten a time machine because they look like 13-14' McD and G. Hope they keep it up.

Staal-Boyle: Looked like rusty vets who don't care about preseason but in Staals defense he's still getting over that injury.

Yandle-The undertaker: Yandle is a god and Mcl is looking better each game he won the #7 spot.

Raanta: Very steady I think he'll go 12-8 on the season.

Lindberg and Mcl as the extras hank between the pipes go to war and get that cup!! :yo:

I agree with your thoughts here. Only change I think happens is Lindberg plays over Etem and swaps with Stalberg. I think Lindberg outplayed both Stalberg and Etem this preseason.

Lindberg - Hayes - Fast
Stoll - Moore - Stalberg

Both lines have 2 guys for faceoffs and I think Stalberg's game would mesh well with Stoll and Moore. Stalberg is like a more experienced Etem and brings a little more offense. Similar speed, tenacity and forechecking.

Jun 25, 2013
www.tannerglassisthebest.com
I agree with your thoughts here. Only change I think happens is Lindberg plays over Etem and swaps with Stalberg. I think Lindberg outplayed both Stalberg and Etem this preseason.

Lindberg - Hayes - Fast
Stoll - Moore - Stalberg

Both lines have 2 guys for faceoffs and I think Stalberg's game would mesh well with Stoll and Moore. Stalberg is like a more experienced Etem and brings a little more offense. Similar speed, tenacity and forechecking.

True and we do know how much AV loves two centers on a line. Either way the rangers are going to be at the top of the East again.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I've crossed Stalberg off my list and left Etem. I think if we work with him a little, we might get something out of him. Stalberg has left me totally unimpressed after tonight.

You can argue that McIlrath played better than Girardi, Staal, and Boyle (latter of whom was godawful). Very responsible in our zone and made the right decisions. Don't think he will ever get to be a 'very good' NHL player but certainly good enough to make the team.

Raanta was pretty good but for whatever reason I don't feel that secure with him in there. I know he's not Lundqvist but he always looks kind of shaky to me. Maybe his style?

Anyways, great comeback tonight. I'd like to thank our 0 for 6 power play that made the overtime drama possible. :nod:

welcome to the dark side.

agree.

he's pretty much what he is.

dumb. big. fast.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm 100% ok with Stalberg on the roster in a role that doesn't ask him to score.

I'm really not OK with him on the roster in a top six role because he's bound to disappoint.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
I thought Mason was a little too quick to back in, and made himself look smaller than usual...when hes challenging is when hes at his best...he kinda contracted everything inwards on the shot...looked like there was a lot of places Yandle coulda scored on that one.

just my 2 cents anyways.

Eh, maybe. He roofed it with little space on the short side. I'm used to seeing wristers straight to the logo ya know. ;)

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
hes a very nice 4th liner on this team.

let him run around and hit people (after the play is going the other direction) and make passes (to no one) and take shots (from no where) and produce (little).

hes an improvement over shepherd and glass.

like i said, FLUB will easliy be the the most frustrating ranger this season.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
D1rigNG.gif

Love me some K-pop.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Additionally, what we gave up for him was practically a bag of pucks. I mean Igor ****ing Ulanov!

1st round pick went their way, ended up being the 10th overall but honestly didn't turn into much (Florida swapped places with Calgary and drafted Petr Taticek and Calgary drafted Eric Nystrom with the Rangers pick they got from Florida

Looking at the rest of the players drafted between there and the Rangers 2nd round pick (Lee Falardeau, haha) the only guys worth much were Keith Ballard and #11 and Alex Semin at #13. Chris Higgins was also in there.

Oh whoops, forgot Alex Steen in the late 1st round, he turned out pretty good once he got to St Louis.

Duncan Keith in the late 2nd round is the real standout pick in 2002, which is otherwise pretty boring draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille