Post-Game Talk: PS#3 Rangers @ Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
What changed? Unless McIlrath boots somebody out, we have man-for-man the exact same starting defense.

I'd like to feel safe with a multi-goal lead. That's not so much to ask. I don't at all, especially when the games really start to matter.

lol but McD isn't injured, Staal isnt injured, Yandle isnt injured, Klein isnt returning from injury, Zucc doesnt have a busted skull, Tanner Glass should hopefully be off this team, James Sheppard will not be in the lineup this season... each year is a new year who knows maybe they decide to change the defensive plan. Past season success does not mean anything come this year... Boston won the Presidents trophy then missed the playoffs. You cannot take last season and expect the same thing this season.

Yandle will also have a full season under his belt learning the system

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
lol but McD isn't injured, Staal isnt injured, Yandle isnt injured, Klein isnt returning from injury, Zucc doesnt have a busted skull, Tanner Glass should hopefully be off this team, James Sheppard will not be in the lineup this season... each year is a new year who knows maybe they decide to change the defensive plan. Past season success does not mean anything come this year... Boston won the Presidents trophy then missed the playoffs. You cannot take last season and expect the same thing this season.

Yandle will also have a full season under his belt learning the system

Well I'd like to see it change. It sure didn't last night. Maybe it will with the full lineup.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
My concern is we're still a vacation to play offense against, the goals pile up if an elite goalie isn't in net, and we couldn't hold a 2 goal lead if you glued it to AV's ass.

Let's not pretend this only happens in preseason.

Totally. Need McIlrath to take a regular shift. Make the Rangers that much less fun to play.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'd be willing to bet the Rangers have probably blown the least 2 goal leads in the league over the last 6 years.

Or 3 years. Or 4. Whatever you want to do.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'd be willing to bet the Rangers have probably blown the least 2 goal leads in the league over the last 6 years.

We're up there. but because of Lundqvist. I don't wanna lean on him like a crutch. I wanna completely shut a team off like Tampa did to us in games 5 and 7. I can't remember the last time we did that.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

That's because they rarely get a 2 goal lead

Last season's strategy was get a 1 goal lead by the 3rd period then park the bus for 20 minutes and block shots and hope Lundqvist stops the ones that reach the net, though this did seem to be a common theme for all teams throughout the league

Things aren't really different to how they were under Torts in their own end, the wingers collapsed and didn't play tight on the point and the team really struggled to get the puck out of the zone once the other team were in and got set up

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Pretty impressive that the Rangers could pack it in for the 3rd period every game and still be +18 in 3rd period goal differential and 8th overall in GF in the 3rd.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Pretty impressive that the Rangers could pack it in for the 3rd period every game and still be +18 in 3rd period goal differential and 8th overall in GF in the 3rd.

I don't it's purposefully packing it in, I think it's a system which is too passive.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I don't it's purposefully packing it in, I think it's a system which is too passive.

You don't think that it's impressive that they're, by your own admission, putting themselves at a disadvantage and yet still posted a positive goal differential? I'm not a fan of the premise, but the results say a lot.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You don't think that it's impressive that they're, by your own admission, putting themselves at a disadvantage and yet still posted a positive goal differential? I'm not a fan of the premise, but the results say a lot.

I never said the Rangers were a terrible team in 3rd periods. I think we're a notch below the elite. You'll never see Chicago do what we did in Tampa, or in LA, or last night.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

Obviously it's not every game, last year's team was much better in previous years at coming back from behind, those numbers also don't account for games against teams like Buffalo, and what about empty net goals scored from when they're sitting on that 1 goal lead?

More often than not the team did manage to hold the 1 goal lead thanks to defense and goaltending, but it was horrendous to watch and not a favourable strategy

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Last year the Rangers GF% up by 2 goals was 9th in the league. That's not bad by any stretch.

Much better marks: Chicago, LA, Tampa. That's the difference.

The rest of the teams were pedestrian teams who are skewed by rarely being up by two.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I never said the Rangers were a terrible team in 3rd periods. I think we're a notch below the elite. You'll never see Chicago do what we did in Tampa, or in LA, or last night.

Yeah, but this team isn't Chicago. Chicago doesn't pay a goaltender 12% of their salary cap like we do. The Rangers hedged their bets on riding the worlds best goalie, and their in-game strategy shows that. Is it risky to pack it in like they do to protect a lead? Yes, but you can't argue that they were very successful with it.

The Rangers never took a lead into the 3rd period against Tampa and lost it as far as I can remember. The biggest problem in that series was game-to-game consistency. The offense and defense kept alternating the nights that they wanted to show up.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Obviously it's not every game, last year's team was much better in previous years at coming back from behind, those numbers also don't account for games against teams like Buffalo, and what about empty net goals scored from when they're sitting on that 1 goal lead?

More often than not the team did manage to hold the 1 goal lead thanks to defense and goaltending, but it was horrendous to watch and not a favourable strategy

Even if you want to undermine the goal differential with ENG's or lousy opponents, they lost what, 1 or 2 games last season when taking a lead into the 3rd? I'm not sure what's more favorable than that. It's obviously a risk, but it's a risk that the team is pretty much built to take with the worlds best goalie eating up 12% of the salary cap.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I actually just looked at the corsi from last night's game.

Zuccarello -12, Brassard -15, McDonagh -17. Brutal, more brutal, and literally Satan.

I'm gonna chalk that up to roster locks playing the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad