Post-Game Talk: PS#3 Rangers @ Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanaki

Mar 29, 2008
Danbury, CT
Can we just start the season... In former years I was really pumped for anything hockey but I can't get in to this for some reason.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He'll need a minimum of half a season in the AHL before he gets called up. Let's keep in mind that half the opposing team in the preseason are minor leaguers and the rest are going at half speed. Skjei would be well served by playing in Hartford at least until February, maybe until next season.

This time last year Ryan Haggerty was scoring several highlite reel goals, easy to forget... ;)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
That's the definition of a North/South player...which is he. He's not going to dangle all over the place. Kreider plays the same North/South style (OBVIOUSLY kreider is better, i'm just going on styles). I didn't see the 3rd period, but he did register more than 25% of the shots we had on goal today.

From the 2 periods I saw, I thought Lundqvist looked like he was in mid season form out there.

I am not quite sure what to make of Etem yet, haven't watched last night game yet and need to watch him more.

Hopefully he can start to stick out more, when the games get tighter. Sounds like a contradiction, but when the real hockey starts it becomes a lot more about playing solid hockey 97% of the time and taking advantage of that one or two chances that might present itself for that last 3%. Etem definitely has some plays in him in that regard. My initial impression is however a bit concerned since he so far haven't shown much -- chemistry -- with the players he has played with. Thought it would be the opposite to be honest.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Players I was impressed with:

MZA
Lindberg
Stoll

I was impressed by how well Stoll played compared to just a few days ago. His speed looked much better, he was engaged physically winning battles and he was a monster in the faceoff dot.

Lindberg was very good as usual.

MZA looked like himself which was great to see.

Gibbons had a couple of nice plays but he was quieter than his first game. Still looked pretty good.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I am not quite sure what to make of Etem yet, haven't watched last night game yet and need to watch him more.

Hopefully he can start to stick out more, when the games get tighter. Sounds like a contradiction, but when the real hockey starts it becomes a lot more about playing solid hockey 97% of the time and taking advantage of that one or two chances that might present itself for that last 3%. Etem definitely has some plays in him in that regard. My initial impression is however a bit concerned since he so far haven't shown much -- chemistry -- with the players he has played with. Thought it would be the opposite to be honest.

Hank was sharp
Malcolm ok, Both Good and bad but not a SO expert
Skjei looked good as did old man Boyle and Hughes. Thought Yandle was a D liability too often
Belle more stunk and also got pummeled
Lindberg will start opening night
Zucc good
BrassNash ok
Hayes a bit slow but creative and hockey smart
Etem looks lost
Not impressed at all so far but still very small sample size
Rambo and Hrivik both good but AHL for this year
The "career AHLer" looked good
Glass was Glass
Waste of space but hardly news or even worthy of mention

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I watched the first 2 periods and then had to boogy.

Lindberg was very good.
MZA was excellent
Stoll looked a lot better than Tuesday.
Etem-meh
Skjei- looked good but was caught out of position a couple of times. He just needs a little work to clean that up.
Boyle- Didn't really notice him too much.
Yandle- Was paired with Diaz part Deux, gross.
Hayes- much better
Nash- just a warm up, not going to critique.
Bourque- ok but "ok" won't win him a spot.
Tambellini- Looked good for a 20 y/o in his first game (that's the bar I am using). He should be a decent AHL'er and hopefully will improve during the season.
Gibbons- ok
Brassard- Same as Nash just getting warmed up, getting his legs.
Hank- Hank
Hrivik- see bourque.
McD- looked faster than he did last year at this point, so that's good.
Etem- not a fan.

First 3 were the most impressive

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Didn't watch the game outside of the first period where I made the bar turn it on ;)

Just watched a quick video of Rinaldo's third-period shenanigans... What a little ****. If you're gonna run around like a tough guy, don't turtle when you need to answer the bell. ****ing rat ****.

Wish Glass got a few more punches in on him... but clearly, Glass doesn't seem to be much of a deterrent ;) Good for him to try and bring some justice to the ice though.

Will surely remember this when the regular season starts.

Vickers8

Bourque checked Chara, 5'9" vs 6'9", out of the game with an upper body injury

Vickers8

Hank looked like mid season form, with several spectacular saves

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
From what I've seen so far, I'll take Lindberg and Stoll over Etem and Glass and McIlrath as 7th D.

Miller gets that 2nd line RW spot, Lindberg centers 3rd line with Stalberg and Hayes on other wing and Stoll - Moore - Fast will be a solid 4th line. Between Lindberg, Stoll and Moore the team will be in better shape in the faceoff circle.

Etem can go to the A or be 13th forward.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
From what I've seen so far, I'll take Lindberg and Stoll over Etem and Glass and McIlrath as 7th D.

Miller gets that 2nd line RW spot, Lindberg centers 3rd line with Stalberg and Hayes on other wing and Stoll - Moore - Fast will be a solid 4th line. Between Lindberg, Stoll and Moore the team will be in better shape in the faceoff circle.

Can he without waivers?

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I watched the first 2 periods and then had to boogy.

Lindberg was very good.
MZA was excellent
Stoll looked a lot better than Tuesday.
Etem-meh
Skjei- looked good but was caught out of position a couple of times. He just needs a little work to clean that up.
Boyle- Didn't really notice him too much.
Yandle- Was paired with Diaz part Deux, gross.
Hayes- much better
Nash- just a warm up, not going to critique.
Bourque- ok but "ok" won't win him a spot.
Tambellini- Looked good for a 20 y/o in his first game (that's the bar I am using). He should be a decent AHL'er and hopefully will improve during the season.
Gibbons- ok
Brassard- Same as Nash just getting warmed up, getting his legs.
Hank- Hank
Hrivik- see bourque.
McD- looked faster than he did last year at this point, so that's good.
Etem- not a fan.

First 3 were the most impressive

Was destroyed in the FO circle again.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

From what I can tell, based on pre-season pairings and how we finished the play-offs, Fast will be on Stepan's wing. When St. Louis was demoted to the bottom-6, Fast took his place on Steps line and he did a good job. This pre-season, Miller has been paired with guys like Hayes, Etem and Lindberg while Fast played with Kreider and Stepan.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Brian Gibbons - just okay this game.
Oscar Lindberg - but for the one flubbed clearing attempt, was once again amongst the best forwards on the ice. Making a real case to not only make the team, but make the starting lineup.
Tanner Glass - seriously, there is no way he is among the top 15 forwards for this team, much less the top 12.
Mats Zuccarello - as if he hadn't missed a beat. #1 star.
Derick Brassard - looked good. Not great, but fine for his first PS game.
Rick Nash - same as Brassard.
Emerson Etem - thought he was much better this game. Played the north-south game he's supposed to play and he and Hayes were dangerous together in the offensive zone. The only issue I had was one shift in the second period I believe where he twice tried to gain the zone by himself and lost the puck both times. (Frankly, I'm a little surprised at the negative comments, and I wonder how much of it stems from the fact that he was the guy that Hags was traded for.)
Kevin Hayes - much better game.
Ryan Bourque - just not seeing enough from him.
Jarrett Stoll - good game. Really liking the idea of him on the fourth line. With him, Dom and Lindberg, suddenly the team would have excellent faceoff options.
Adam Tambellini - good first game for the youngest forward on the Rangers squad. Saw flashes. I think he's in Hartford's top 6 by midseason.
Marek Hrivik - showed what he always shows: not a standout, but a monster on the boards and extremely responsible. A good candidate to be a fourth liner, but will likely have to do it for some other team.
Keith Yandle - not great, but gave us some flashes.
Ryan McDonagh - like Brassard and Nash.
Dan Boyle - like Brassard, Nash and McDonagh.
Tommy Hughes - a nice, stay-at-home guy in the AHL. Can't keep up at this level.
Brady Sjkei - really loving what I'm seeing from him this preseason. Has some bumps to iron out, but the good far outweighed the bad and you can see he oozes talent. The McDonagh like comparisons continue to be apt.
Brett Bellemore - I just have not been impressed. Brings nothing on offense, has been a borderline liability on defense, and picked the worst possible moment for a stupid, staged fight that killed a dangerous 3-on-2 for the Brassard line.
Henrik Lundqvist - looked good. Not quite vintage Hank, but better than I expected for his first PS game.
Malcolm X - surprisingly solid, especially since the team in front of him seemed to let down during the third.

Last edited:

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I have watched 0 minutes of preseason so far but I am very disappointed with the reviews on Etem. Does he really look that bad? Bad enough to not make the top 12 F?

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I liked what I saw from Tambellini, not ready at all but definitely something there. Same for Sjkei.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I have watched 0 minutes of preseason so far but I am very disappointed with the reviews on Etem. Does he really look that bad? Bad enough to not make the top 12 F?

As I just posted above, I actually thought he looked good last night; played the north-south game he's supposed to play and was dangerous with Hayes in the offensive zone. I think he's suffering from a) a bad first impression (I agree that his first game was NOT good) and b) the fact that he was the guy that fan-favorite Hags was traded for.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Brian Gibbons - just okay this game.
Oscar Lindberg - but for the one flubbed clearing attempt, was once again amongst the best forwards on the ice. Making a real case to not only make the team, but make the starting lineup.
Tanner Glass - seriously, there is no way he is among the top 15 forwards for this team, much less the top 12.
Mats Zuccarello - as if he hadn't missed a beat. #1 star.
Derick Brassard - looked good. Not great, but fine for his first PS game.
Rick Nash - same as Brassard.
Emerson Etem - thought he was much better this game. Played the north-south game he's supposed to play and he and Hayes were dangerous together in the offensive zone. The only issue I had was one shift in the second period I believe where he twice tried to gain the zone by himself and lost the puck both times. (Frankly, I'm a little surprised at the negative comments, and I wonder how much of it stems from the fact that he was the guy that Hags was traded for.)
Kevin Hayes - much better game.
Ryan Bourque - just not seeing enough from him.
Jarrett Stoll - good game. Really liking the idea of him on the fourth line. With him, Dom and Lindberg, suddenly the team would have excellent faceoff options.
Adam Tambellini - good first game for the youngest forward on the Rangers squad. Saw flashes. I think he's in Hartford's top 6 by midseason.
Marek Hrivik - showed what he always shows: not a standout, but a monster on the boards and extremely responsible. A good candidate to be a fourth liner, but will likely have to do it for some other team.
Keith Yandle - not great, but gave us some flashes.
Ryan McDonagh - like Brassard and Nash.
Dan Boyle - like Brassard, Nash and McDonagh.
Tommy Hughes - a nice, stay-at-home guy in the AHL. Can't keep up at this level.
Brady Sjkei - really loving what I'm seeing from him this preseason. Has some bumps to iron out, but the good far outweighed the bad and you can see he oozes talent. The McDonagh like comparisons continue to be apt.
Brett Bellemore - I just have not been impressed. Brings nothing on offense, has been a borderline liability on defense, and picked the worst possible moment for a stupid, staged fight that killed a dangerous 3-on-2 for the Brassard line.
Henrik Lundqvist - looked good. Not quite vintage Hank, but better than I expected for his first PS game.
Malcolm X - surprisingly solid, especially since the team in front of him seemed to let down during the third.

Ding Ding Ding! Winner!

You knew he was doomed almost immediately from some posters after that trade went down.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

As I just posted above, I actually thought he looked good last night; played the north-south game he's supposed to play and was dangerous with Hayes in the offensive zone. I think he's suffering from a) a bad first impression (I agree that his first game was NOT good) and b) the fact that he was the guy that fan-favorite Hags was traded for.

Agreed with what BRF said. Etem has look fine. He has played 2 games on a brand new team with brand new teammates and they are complaining he looks lost out there, like he was suppose to gain chemistry with them on the ice in the summer. He will be on the top 9 and get some PP time. AV has been using him in front of the net on the PP and he had a nice screen yesterday which led to a goal. Also playing decent on the PK as well.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
From anyone that watched all the preseason games have any 2 or 3 players shown some chemistry out there that could make for an interesting line come Regular Season game 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad