Post-Game Talk: PS#2 | 09/19/18 | Rangers vs Flyers... something I want to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
That's a pretty fair assessment and I would think he can reach it in the environment we're trying to build. I have to look up how old he is/I am at work and threading posts between the meetings and HR things.
I think he’s 20 or 21, I’m not totally sure about the date or specific number but he could go back to juniors for an overage year/ if he was in college this would be his junior year

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Not entirely sure yet. Dont know how Quinn sees this lineup filling out. We have a lot of players aiming for spots.

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Spooner-Hayes-Zucc
Nams-????-????
Vesey-????-Fast
Beleskey

And to youre other question...how does Spooner earn $4 million? Well a number of reasons, he is pretty much a minimum 40 point player since age 24, trending upward to 55 points. That is 2nd line production in this league. Add those factors to the Cap rising and inflation, compared with other contracts handed out in the league...thats how they come to that number. It is more than fair for how he is trending. The Rangers didnt just guess in this salary cap world.

So cmon stop

OK maybe I am being a little hard on Spooner but I still don’t think he’s worth the price tag.

Sure, you can look at point totals which I can understand to a point but it never fails to amaze me how (speaking in general and not necessarily directed at you) people neglect the other aspects of the game.

It’s a very shortsighted way of thinking and I'll never understand why people continue to do it when evaluating players.

Spooner can score 40 points and that’s all fine and dandy but he’s not particularly strong at any other part of the game.

That’s simply not worth $4M to me..

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Didn't say ADA wasn't an NHLer. But, if you just read this thread, you would think he is a 1st pair stud.
...no you wouldn't. He's played 2 very good games and is getting credit for that, not sure where you are reading everyone thinks he's a top pair stuff. Maybe you are just upset because you were bashing him all summer and now are upset he is playing well?

Oh, yup, looking at your post history I found this gem:

Why would Pionk go to Hartford? What has Tony D done to warrant a spot over Pionk?
Let's be fair, Pionk is an unknown entity, but Tony D has been garbage( but dat potential doe)

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
I’m going to give Quinn credit for something I think that has been brilliant. ADA has to pass through waivers this year so Quinn and probably the FO are taking this kid and playing him in every scenario to get an idea of what he’s capable of. They’re giving him a shot to prove he’s a nhl guy. And I think he’s passing with flying colors

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
...no you wouldn't. He's played 2 very good games and is getting credit for that, not sure where you are reading everyone thinks he's a top pair stuff. Maybe you are just upset because you were bashing him all summer and now are upset he is playing well?

Oh, yup, looking at your post history I found this gem:

My stance on DeAngelo last year was that he wasn't very good, but I've been impressed with him in the pre-season so far.

People often underestimate that a summer of internalization can be beneficial for young players. It really isn't that uncommon for a player to improve without playing any games at all.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
What do you guys think of McQuaid and why he hasn't played? I like the guy on this team because I think what would help us is a tough D man, one we haven't had in quite some time. I really hope they find a spot for him.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
OK maybe I am being a little hard on Spooner but I still don’t think he’s worth the price tag.

Sure, you can look at point totals which I can understand to a point but it never fails to amaze me how (speaking in general and not necessarily directed at you) people neglect the other aspects of the game.

It’s a very shortsighted way of thinking and I'll never understand why people continue to do it when evaluating players.

Spooner can score 40 points and that’s all fine and dandy but he’s not particularly strong at any other part of the game.

People don't neglect other aspects of the game.

It's just that some people don't consider "setting the tone" and "answering da bell" or whatever the f*** to be pertinent aspects of the game.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

It's just that some people don't consider "setting the tone" and "answering da bell" or whatever the **** to be pertinent aspects of the game.

I know it's an "appeal to authority" or whatever, but I would be pretty surprised if anyone professionally involved in the NHL agreed with that, particularly coaches and players.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

It's just that some people don't consider "setting the tone" and "answering da bell" or whatever the **** to be pertinent aspects of the game.

Nice attempt to deflect.
Tuffness is only one aspect of the game much like scoring.
Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm

I can agree with that. Get me 30 points but make it a player who is a much better forechecker and defender. I'll take that for 4 M over spooner. Some other factors can be considered too of course. Like do we have players who excel more overall with spooner bc his game compliments theirs better?

Reactions: NYR

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Nice attempt to deflect.
Tuffness is only one aspect of the game much like scoring.
Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.

You're talking about some bullshit as usual.

Almost everyone has pointed out Spooner's deficiencies. Just not the deficiencies you want to talk about.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Isn't it?

Except, when all of the people with real-life, hands-on experience think differently than you do, you should probably re-think your stance. Perhaps, just perhaps, they know a lot more than you.

This is also very nice appeal to authority. Keep going.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't think the Rangers are going to give up on DeAngelo after 1 year after acquiring him in a fairly big deal, especially since he had his chance to show what he's got cut short last season by injury.

I think some people don't like him and won't give his play a chance almost regardless of what he does out there. He's not going to be perfect...none of these guys are, Skjei looked pretty mediocre and worse than DeAngelo with more D zone gafs last night IMO. But he's doing positive things out there that no one else on this roster can do. As long as he doesn't completely bomb the rest of the preseason I think he makes the roster and they give him a chance to solidify a role and find his game at the NHL level.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
not really.

Now if ADA was perfect and was racking up points and had good size and was playing physical and great defensively then of course we keep him, but he is limited, his only strengths are skating and offensive ability. Offensive ability that did not result in much yet. Hajek and Pionk will outproduce him offensively in NHL. Their hockey IQ is way better.

ADA is limited but Hajek and Pionk aren't :laugh:

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I don't think the Rangers are going to give up on DeAngelo after 1 year after acquiring him in a fairly big deal, especially since he had his chance to show what he's got cut short last season by injury.

I think some people don't like him and won't give his play a chance almost regardless of what he does out there. He's not going to be perfect...none of these guys are, Skjei looked pretty mediocre and worse than DeAngelo with more D zone gafs last night IMO. But he's doing positive things out there that no one else on this roster can do. As long as he doesn't completely bomb the rest of the preseason I think he makes the roster and they give him a chance to solidify a role and find his game at the NHL level.

Skjei had that nice juke on the PP where he sliced and diced into the slot for a high danger opportunity. But yeah, on being a dman with offensive and puck carrying skills, Skjei is like Batman to ADA's Bane. The latter was born in it, molded by it.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I know it's an "appeal to authority" or whatever, but I would be pretty surprised if anyone professionally involved in the NHL agreed with that, particularly coaches and players.
To you Tawnos and NYR. I don’t post anymore (I know some of you are happy about this) because of guys like Machinehead. He’s an elitist college professor who’s driving an agenda that hockey should be played by ballerinas in pink skirts. Don’t bite and engage him. Now back to my semi-permanent lurking.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
You're talking about some bull**** as usual.

Almost everyone has pointed out Spooner's deficiencies. Just not the deficiencies you want to talk about.

The world according to MH..If I choose to ignore something then it won't exist :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad