Rumor: Provorov looking for $10M per season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Like Starat said, most people are hoping for 7.5-8M. I'm thinking he signs for the 8-8.5M like you said.

Giving Provorov a bridge would mess with the Flyers salary cap in a few years when they have Sanheim, Konecny, Hart, Myers, and Patrick to pay. Couturier also would need an extension as well.

Yeah, hard to see him coming down to $7.5-8 IF he's at $10 now. It'll be interesting to see it play out. Love his game.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
8x8 is pretty fair considering how contracts go nowadays. 10 is flat out bat-**** crazy

8x8 would have been fair if he had put in another season like 17-18, but he didn't. I'd much rather see Provorov sign for 3 x $5.XM than anything long term that's at $8m.

And $8m wouldn't leave enough room to sign Konecny this year.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
yeah and I also want $10 mil per year. We both have about an equal chance of getting it.

Actually, he has a lot better chance of getting it than you do.

The Ekblad comp is up to $8.37 mil, when adjusted for inflation. The Flyers are probably offering less than that on an 8 year term. Provorov's camp is likely asking for more to counterbalance that. Nothing to freak out about.

Glad there is some reason in this thread. He's asking 10 but I am guessing he actually sees 9x8 or 8.5x8 as a realistic landing spot.

He's a #1 dman who plays well on both sides of the puck. Almost 20-25 last season, I could see him peaking as a defensively sound 20-40 guy in his prime. Worth 8 million+, especially if the cap goes up.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
8x8 would have been fair if he had put in another season like 17-18, but he didn't. I'd much rather see Provorov sign for 3 x $5.XM than anything long term that's at $8m.

3x5 seems unrealistic. Maybe 3x6.5? Seems fair considering usage.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Those aren't realistic numbers, unless you expect Fletcher to trade Konecny for picks.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He is not comparable to Ekblad and shouldn't get more than 6M per.

It's the chicken and the egg, or as it is known in the hockey world, the Ceci and the egg.

"He's not a top pairing defenseman, he shouldn't be paid like one"

Then why is he being deployed like a top pairing defenseman?

If a team deploys a player like a star, they give that player the argument to be paid like a star. If that player isn't good enough, then why are they being deployed that way?

I'm not saying it's impossible for a player who is not a top pairing defender to be deployed like one. We saw an extreme case of that with Cody Ceci who played over 23 minutes a night against top competition for two straight seasons.

So PHI could push back and bridge Provorov, but if they keep playing him 25 minutes a night, he's going to continue to have this argument to be paid like a top pairing defender. If the Flyers don't want to pay him, then he's going to walk straight to free agency. It would be complete mismanagement. It would be a similar timeline to the Trouba situation. Although I don't remember if Trouba was a case of the player or the team not wanting to commit. Contract wise, it'd be similar. The team saves money with a series of short term deals, but is then faced off with selling low on the player or losing them for nothing.

If PHI plays him like a top pairing guy, they will have to eventually pay him like a top pairing guy. They might as well do it now before the cap goes up more.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's the chicken and the egg, or as it is known in the hockey world, the Ceci and the egg.

If a team deploys a player like a star, they give that player the argument to be paid like a star. If that player isn't good enough, then why are they being deployed that way?

I'm not saying it's impossible for a player who is not a top pairing defender to be deployed like one. We saw an extreme case of that with Cody Ceci who played over 23 minutes a night against top competition for two straight seasons.

So PHI could push back and bridge Provorov, but if they keep playing him 25 minutes a night, he's going to continue to have this argument to be paid like a top pairing defender. If the Flyers don't want to pay him, then he's going to walk straight to free agency. It would be complete mismanagement. It would be a similar timeline to the Trouba situation. Although I don't remember if Trouba was a case of the player or the team not wanting to commit. Contract wise, it'd be similar. The team saves money with a series of short term deals, but is then faced off with selling low on the player or losing them for nothing.

If PHI plays him like a top pairing guy, they will have to eventually pay him like a top pairing guy. They might as well do it now before the cap goes up more.

Sanheim might well be the better LHD out of the two.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The Ekblad comp is up to $8.37 mil, when adjusted for inflation. The Flyers are probably offering less than that on an 8 year term. Provorov's camp is likely asking for more to counterbalance that. Nothing to freak out about.

Does it go like, if Flyers offer 7M and you ask for 20M, they settle for 14M ?

Why not asking 100M.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

We played Hagg like a top 4 guy, and he isnt getting paid like a top 4.

Provorov's minutes need to be cut, plain and simple. His usage moving forward should see a pretty sizable downtick, now that we have a decent, well-balanced D core.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

A bridge deal would be terrible for the Flyers. Especially where they have already bridged Sanheim and seem to be on track to bridge Konecny.

It would, we could pay Provorov 8M, pay Konecny 6M (which is high) and trade Hagg. We would be cap compliant then.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
A bridge deal would be terrible for the Flyers. Especially where they have already bridged Sanheim and seem to be on track to bridge Konecny.

It would, we could pay Provorov 8M, pay Konecny 6M (which is high) and trade Hagg. We would be cap compliant then.

We'd still technically be 300K short if we have a 13th forward. we'd need to run 12F and 7D for that to work out.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Love the HockeyDB point stat scouting report HIers are doing right now.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I would rather bridge Provorov than Konecny. Provy seems to want way too much on a long term deal after a disappointing 3rd season. Provorov is very unlikely to blow up points-wise in the next few years considering Ghost and Sanheim are both much better on the PP.

And trading Hagg would not be enough to pay Provy + TK $14m. Replacing Hagg on the roster with a forward only saves a few hundred thousand dollars.

If you pay them $12m combined, it only leaves $633,254 in cap space. That's with NAK and Vorobyev as the 12th and 13th forwards. If you trade Hagg for a pick, and make Andreoff the 14th forward, then the cap space goes up to $1,033,254.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
3x5 seems unrealistic. Maybe 3x6.5? Seems fair considering usage.

That seems rather high to me. Trouba, the seemingly rare quality defenseman that was an RFA the year before his earliest UFA date, got a 2 year bridge at 4.11% and then a 1 year deal at 6.92%. Put it together and that equates to a 3 year deal at a $4.11 mil AAV at an $81.5 mil ceiling.

Reactions: hn777 and Curufinwe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad