Prospects who could make a run for the Calder Trophy next season

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Surprised at the Byfield mentions. He's probably gonna have a decent season but I think there are way more developed rookies for next season and players that are in better situations (better support) too. Even a guy like Zegras will most likely not win it due to lack of support, and he's much farther ahead in development. I think Rossi is a joke of a mention too, guy missed the whole season and generally guys who are small and not the greatest skaters take some time before they make an impact in the NHL.

Guys like Newhook and Boldy are in a much better position. Seider will be an interesting one too, if he can come in and be a leader right off the bat on that Red Wings team, similar to Provorov in Philly and Heiskanen in Dallas in their respective rookie seasons, then he has a good shot. Caufield is obviously also in the conversation, it will likely come down to just how many goals he's able to score. Knight should be a top candidate as well.

Could also be someone with much less starpower that comes in and has a great season.

Reactions: L13 and John Snow

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Zegras, Caufield, Drysdale, Seider, Byfield, Turcotte, Rossi, Boldy. I’ll put in a homer vote for Podzolkin as he will get lots of opportunity in Vancouver.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Are you sure these guys are eligible and the requirements weren’t changed for this season? If Sorokin’s eligible, he has to be the favorite.

I suspect Sorokin will either split games with Varlamov next year if he doesn't become the effective starter.

If Sorokin were to win the Calder, he'd be the highest-paid Calder winner of all time. (Depending on years, his salary could be anywhere from 3.5-6M AAV). I think it would be far away from the spirit of the award to give the Calder to a 26 year old making perhaps 4-5 million, and I really doubt Sorokin would want any part of it (not that it would matter).

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Is Drysdale eligible with how many games he played this season?

From NHL.com:
To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season, nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons, in any major professional league.

Drysdale played in 24, so, yes, he's still eligible.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
People be sleeping on Connor McMichael.

Not really. He’s average or slightly above average skater in the AHL but probably borderline in the NHL. He may need a half year or another year in the AHL and I think he might have to return to the OHL due to age.

Having watch many of 2019 and 2020 draft class in the AHL this season... my guesses in order of votes

Zegras
Caufield
Newhook
Boldy
Jarvis
Pinto

I doubt Seider or Drysdale can score the ridiculous points needed for a D to win the Calder considering the above will probably at least get 35pts.

Byfield is going to be a excellent player but he’s not going to put up the points needed to win Calder next season. He’s not even 19. Krebs is the least physically mature forward of the 2019 draft class and I would not rush him. Turcotte has to stay healthy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MuckOG

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
Weird to see so many mentions of Rossi and no mentions of Lundell. Imo Lundell is further ahead, a better prospect in general, and just had a great season where as Rossi missed the whole season. Some even seem to think Rossi as a frontrunner and no one even see Lundell as a dark horse? Maybe it's my HIFK bias but even at the draft day i was baffled when Minny skipped on Anton.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Weird to see so many mentions of Rossi and no mentions of Lundell. Imo Lundell is further ahead, a better prospect in general, and just had a great season where as Rossi missed the whole season. Some even seem to think Rossi as a frontrunner and no one even see Lundell as a dark horse? Maybe it's my HIFK bias but even at the draft day i was baffled when Minny skipped on Anton.

I agree that Rossi probably isn't a front runner due to the fact that he is likely to spend part or much of next season in the AHL getting his conditioning and timing back after missing so much time. But its very debatable over who the better prospect is....

From the Wild's perspective, Boldy has a better chance of being in the Calder conversation than Rossi does, IMO.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
I agree that Rossi probably isn't a front runner due to the fact that he is likely to spend part or much of next season in the AHL getting his conditioning and timing back after missing so much time. But its very debatable over who the better prospect is....

From the Wild's perspective, Boldy has a better chance of being in the Calder conversation than Rossi does, IMO.
Yeah i can agree it's debatable. Both are quite polished for their age but personaly i like Lundell better. But as i said im a HIFK fan and that surely affects my view(more so than being a finn tbh). But would'nt u agree Lundell is further ahead due to Rossi missing all that time? And to be clear i dont see Lundell as a front runner either. I think its propably gonna be Zegras vs Newhook vs Caufield mostly.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yeah i can agree it's debatable. Both are quite polished for their age but personaly i like Lundell better. But as i said im a HIFK fan and that surely affects my view(more so than being a finn tbh). But would'nt u agree Lundell is further ahead due to Rossi missing all that time? And to be clear i dont see Lundell as a front runner either. I think its propably gonna be Zegras vs Newhook vs Caufield mostly.

Yes, I agree that Lundell is further into his development than Rossi is. Now that Rossi has gotten the all clear to begin full training, it will be interesting to see how quickly he can regain his form from year and how quickly he will make the jump from the AHL to NHL.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Lundell is a better prospect probably, but situation in Wilds is more friendly for a center prospect. The depth at center is nonexistent.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Not really. He’s average or slightly above average skater in the AHL but probably borderline in the NHL. He may need a half year or another year in the AHL and I think he might have to return to the OHL due to age.

For the record, he won't have to return to the OHL due to age. He's 20 now, so can start next season in the AHL.

I get what you're saying about his skating, he's certainly not going to win many contests based on that. But I do think that his high skill and hockey IQ can compensate somewhat for the limitation.

Unless the Caps really end up in a bind with their centers and the cap next year, I think they should plan for him to play in the AHL. A full season there, as a top line player, should be the next step in his development.

This past season he really improved as it went on, and ended up leading his team in total points (14-13-27 in 33 games), but I'd personally like to see him approach 'dominant' (up above point per game territory) before bringing him to DC full time.

So, barring center/cap issues at the start of the year in DC, I don't think he'll be in the running for the Calder.

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
Homer vote, but I think Dylan Holloway may have a chance if he makes the team on McDavid's wing.

I also really like the vibes coming out of Minnesota right now. Could see Boldy and Rossi making a run for it.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Podkolzin will have a shot playing pro the last 3 years. Guy just didn’t get ice time but is a big time prospect.
Also got better as the season went on, was very noticeable in the Playoffs, 11 points in 16 games. Was 7th on playoffs scoring in KHL, despite playing less games than others on the list.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Felt pretty strongly 2 years ago Cale Makar was the best player not in the NHL. Felt the same way about Kaprizov last year. Really don't have that many strong feelings about 2021-22's potential rookie crop. Could see somebody come out of nowhere and win it.

So much of what a player's season looks like is the opportunity they're given. Not exactly a ton of top 6 or top pairing spots out there among the good teams atm. Liked what I saw from Caufield when he was up with the Habs, if he puts up 30 G he just might be the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad