Prospects who could make a run for the Calder Trophy next season

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Probably Zegras or Byfield.

I’ll throw in a small notice to keep an eye on Jonatan Berggren if he starts in the NHL.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Is the defined
Probably Zegras or Byfield.

I’ll throw in a small notice to keep an eye on Jonatan Berggren if he starts in the NHL.
IS Zegras even eligible since he played 24 games this sseason (43% of his team's) games? Will they adjust the criteria of "rookie" given the abbreivated season?

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Is the defined

IS Zegras even eligible since he played 24 games this sseason (43% of his team's) games? Will they adjust the criteria of "rookie" given the abbreivated season?
He's eligible.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Nedeljkovic will still be eligible. Starter jn Carolina should win 40 games.

Sorokin too. I can't wait for people to argue that X player on my team should have won because Y played too many games last year as a % of the season.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Byfield put up just 1 point in 6 NHL games during his callup and took a month or two to get rolling in the AHL. He seems to need a lot of time to get comfortable in new situations (see also the WJC). I would expect him to have a slow start next year that'll effectively take him out of the running. I'm sure that he'll get comfortable as the season goes on and have a somewhat productive second half, but Calder winners usually hit the ground running and are good all season long. If he surprises, that'll be great, but I wouldn't set expectations too high.

Reactions: KristichBabych

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Vancouver will have Podkolzin and probably Rathbone.

Podkolzin will likely be given all the opportunity to succeed but it's doubtful he puts up Calder numbers. Just felt the need to throw the homer picks in there
I just don't like the fact that he regressed, a big red flag imo

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It's Red Wings tradition that our best players finish as runners up and go on to have better careers than the guys that beat them.

Barasso beat Yzerman
Belfour beat Fedorov
Bure beat Lidstrom
Jackman beat Zetterberg (Robbery)
Myers beat Howard (Also robbery)

I'm expecting people to look at Seider's game and not understand the nuance in his game and give the Calder to a 40 point rookie forward instead of the 30 point defenseman.

Also of note, Datsyuk, Osgood, Larkin and a few others have ended up with top 5 calder finishes.

Tyler Myers scored 48 points as a f***ing rookie. He absolutely reserved his Calder. Howard wasn't even the best rookie goalie.
Jackman winning the Calder should be a sign to you that Seider actually could win it.

Reactions: slumpy43

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sorokin too. I can't wait for people to argue that X player on my team should have won because Y played too many games last year as a % of the season.

Are you sure these guys are eligible and the requirements weren’t changed for this season? If Sorokin’s eligible, he has to be the favorite.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Ned and Sorokin are eligible but I don't think they are likely. Sorokin has Varlamov to contend with and barring an injury to the latter, he is at best sharing starts. Ned has had a great couple of months but I think Carolina either re-signs Mrazek or brings in someone else to share the load with Ned so again don't think Ned will get enough games.

Reactions: theVladiator

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's a valid argument. The "games played"-requirement being the same for skaters and goalies is ridiculously stupid.

You can be a full-fletched secondary goalie in NHL for an entire season without missing any non-assigned games and still be a rookie. Makes no sense.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
Zegras will win it barring any injuries. If they were fair drysdale and seider would both have shots too

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ned and Sorokin are eligible but I don't think they are likely. Sorokin has Varlamov to contend with and barring an injury to the latter, he is at best sharing starts. Ned has had a great couple of months but I think Carolina either re-signs Mrazek or brings in someone else to share the load with Ned so again don't think Ned will get enough games.

I think 35 games from Sorokin could be enough to win it. I don’t see next year’s rookie crop as that strong.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
LOL fans of every team putting out their top prospect as a potential calder winner. lol

Personally I think Byfield has a great chance at winning it or Drysdale if he can post around 40 points or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad