Prospects who could make a run for the Calder Trophy next season

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Some under the radar guys that could surprise.

Joe Veleno - Spent the season in Sweden rounding out his game and Detroit is extremely weak at centre. He could come and take the 2C spot with powerplay time next season.

Philip Tomasino - He’s been lighting up the AHL this season as a 19 year old. Nashville is looking to get younger and with Granlund, Haula, and likely losing a forward in expansion there should be some prime minutes for him.

Arthur Kailyev - This one is a big stretch as I think he has at least one more year in the AHL to round out his game. But by all accounts he was impressive as a 19 year old in the AHL this season. LA is a young team and not many players seem to have a secure position. They also have a great group of playmakers who will be looking to set up his monster shot

Reactions: evolutionbaby

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Connor McMichael if he finds his way into the Top 6 for Washington. All depends on whether they can trade Kuznetsov and who gets taken in the expansion draft.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
The fact Zegras and Drysdale will still qualify as rookies is ridiculous.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Throwing in a dark horse in Jonathan Dahlén. Absolutely dominant in Allsvenskan for two seasons now. If he comes over to a weak (?) forward side on the Sharks and gets himself a place in the squad, I definitely think he can contribute playing with Couture or Hertl for example.

nvn

Oct 15, 2013
Caufield most likely, maybe Zegras, Rossi or even Drysdale.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think Seider has to be the front-runner and favorite much like Kaprizov before this season.
All depends who our coach is. If its Blashill he won't have a shot as he plays pure defensive systems so Seider wont get the offensive numbers to really go for it. Hronek will also likely get PP1 duties for most of the season

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
How exactly is Seider going to win when he'll get <30 points? Remember, defencemen don't win trophies for defence only. They need to show very good offence too.
If we have a more offensive coach I can see more than 30pts

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Shane Pinto has the best chance for Ottawa. Played very well in his 12 games after signing. Should make the team out of camp and play solid minutes.

Reactions: KapG

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
If we have a more offensive coach I can see more than 30pts
Perhaps. But this year no Red Wing scored 30 points, not even a forward (yes, compounded by a shortened season). Not sure if there will be a huge increase in offence next year but you never know.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
2021-2022 will probably be one of the most dominant rookie classes in years.

Development continues to improve.
Rookies that would have surpassed 25 games in a normal season didn't.
More young players that would have been in junior got a taste of NHL play.

Very difficult to handicap. If I had to pick, I'd take a guy that got a taste this year and has no competition for ice time.

Zegras is at the top of that list for me

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Don’t think Seider will produce the offense needed. Zegras if he is indeed eligible

One of the arguments for Seider might be how much time he plays and the fact he is likely to significantly gap all of his teammates in terms of how the play is when he is out on the ice. We have seen it now for three years in terms of when he is out there the ice completely tilts and the security he provides. He has gone long stretches where the other team simply doesn't score with him around. Now there will be an adjustment to the NHL, but if Seider is leading the team in ice time, playing significant minutes which he is capable of a bunch of his argument comes from defensive impact. It doesn't always impact the debate, but with his physicality and possession control Seider might have an interesting case.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
As a MN fan, as disappointing as it is through no fault of his own, Rossi has a long ways to go to be in this conversation. Unless he is desperately needed and/or shows that he has to be on the team in training camp, I don’t think he spends much of any time in NHL next year.

Boldy will be in line for the Calder next year if he stays healthy and their forward group stays largely in tact. Even more so if they can make an impact add at center. He should be getting high level minutes right away and is going to be a force on the PP, especially if he is on the Kaprizov unit.

Reactions: 57special

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
One of the arguments for Seider might be how much time he plays and the fact he is likely to significantly gap all of his teammates in terms of how the play is when he is out on the ice. We have seen it now for three years in terms of when he is out there the ice completely tilts and the security he provides. He has gone long stretches where the other team simply doesn't score with him around. Now there will be an adjustment to the NHL, but if Seider is leading the team in ice time, playing significant minutes which he is capable of a bunch of his argument comes from defensive impact. It doesn't always impact the debate, but with his physicality and possession control Seider might have an interesting case.

I agree with that completely and I hope they start looking at more things like that for Norris voting in terms of it just not being a stat watch. I think he will fair well but guys know about him forsure and will be looking to make him look bad but I do think he can handle himself in his own end

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Should be Zegras.

If Stutzle adds serious muscle and breaks out next year, we can see Pinto score a lot of points too, should he remain.

Is Logan Brown eligible? He's a dark horse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad