Prospects who could make a run for the Calder Trophy next season

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Which rookies you think could be in the running for the Calder Trophy in 2021-2022?

It does not look like any 2021 draftees will have a chance at it, unless of a big surprise (Power?).

Obviously in Montréal there is some excitement surrounding Caufield, after a strong professionnal start. Trevor Zegras will still be eligible next year I believe.

Seider is an obvious one. He could step in on the first pairing on the Red Wings next season. Knight could have gotten a chance, if it wasn't for Bobrovski blocking the way.

LA migh thave two in Byfield and Turcotte.

There are some lesser known guys like Taylor Raddysh, Jack Drury who already have some good professionnal experience but I'm not sure they will get enough time.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Seider or maybe Byfield.

I'd call Lundkvist a dark horse, but unless things go badly wrong for the Rangers in terms of injuries, I don't see him getting the minutes he'd need to make that impact

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I dunno that I’d consider Seider a top candidate.

Award voters typically only know how to stat watch, and Seider’s game is big on defense.

He’s definitely blown his offensive expectations out of the water, but he’d have to do the same in the NHL, immediately, in order to catch the eyes of the voters... Who don’t seem to actually watch games.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Like others have mentioned, Caufield, Boldy, Newhook, Seider all look like great candidates. Krebs too if he gets into a top 9/PP2 role in Vegas. Darkest of darkhorse picks is Riley Damiani.

Reactions: mazmin

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Zegras and Drysdale will both be eligible for Anaheim. Unfortunately, not much offensive talent around Zegras for him to put up tons of points.

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
Vancouver will have Podkolzin and probably Rathbone.

Podkolzin will likely be given all the opportunity to succeed but it's doubtful he puts up Calder numbers. Just felt the need to throw the homer picks in there

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
-Swayman if Boston decides to lean on him.
-M. Barron if he can get into a middle 6 position in NY.
-Kalynuk if he continues getting a bunch of pp time and 20+ minutes in Chicago.

-mcmichael, kravtsov if they get top 6 min in wsh/ny.

Seems like it will be a year where a dark horse will win it.

Reactions: Lays and Bruhin

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I dunno that I’d consider Seider a top candidate.

Award voters typically only know how to stat watch, and Seider’s game is big on defense.

He’s definitely blown his offensive expectations out of the water, but he’d have to do the same in the NHL, immediately, in order to catch the eyes of the voters... Who don’t seem to actually watch games.

It's Red Wings tradition that our best players finish as runners up and go on to have better careers than the guys that beat them.

Barasso beat Yzerman
Belfour beat Fedorov
Bure beat Lidstrom
Jackman beat Zetterberg (Robbery)
Myers beat Howard (Also robbery)

I'm expecting people to look at Seider's game and not understand the nuance in his game and give the Calder to a 40 point rookie forward instead of the 30 point defenseman.

Also of note, Datsyuk, Osgood, Larkin and a few others have ended up with top 5 calder finishes.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Zegras, Seider or Byfield should be the favourites and will get lots of opportunity.
But often unexpected prospects win. For Van I think Podzolkin could be a candidate but I doubt he puts up gaudy offensive numbers. Could impress with his two way play though and he will get lots of opportunity so maybe sneak in as a finalist.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
How exactly is Seider going to win when he'll get <30 points? Remember, defencemen don't win trophies for defence only. They need to show very good offence too.
Because he'll dominate physically and territorially like no rookie D-man ever has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad