Prospects who could make a run for the Calder Trophy next season

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree with that completely and I hope they start looking at more things like that for Norris voting in terms of it just not being a stat watch. I think he will fair well but guys know about him forsure and will be looking to make him look bad but I do think he can handle himself in his own end

While he shows elite physicality, there is an argument to be had that what has impressed most about Seider so far is how quickly he learns. He rarely makes the same mistakes, once he sees something he incorporates it and moves forward. We get to see the biggest jump yet, but I think he can handle it, the Wings need for him is high too, so you know he is going to have a huge role which is big to winning this kind of award.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
While he shows elite physicality, there is an argument to be had that what has impressed most about Seider so far is how quickly he learns. He rarely makes the same mistakes, once he sees something he incorporates it and moves forward. We get to see the biggest jump yet, but I think he can handle it, the Wings need for him is high too, so you know he is going to have a huge role which is big to winning this kind of award.

That to me is one of the biggest assets in this game. Well I guess life in general but speaking in hockey sense it is how guys become HOFers. They have the ability to adapt and not just deal with it but find ways to defeat it. Seider is definitely the prospect I’ve ever been most excited about

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
The fact Zegras and Drysdale will still qualify as rookies is ridiculous.
Meh there have been rookies with more games played in the NHL due to playoffs, caufield or another top candidate could somewhat likely go into next year with more games played

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I might actually put money down on Boldy that’s how confident I am in him. He *should* fit right into that top 6. Plug and play.

MattiasSnall

May 1, 2018
Im quite surprised that no one has even mentioned Anton Lundell. He has had a really good season in Finland with the only exception being his break due to Covid-19.

Upcoming WC with a good opportunity to take a leading or significant role in the team.

He is one of the most mature from his draftclass and if the takes the next step in his developement he could be a NHL-regular next season.

He may not be the most productive offensively but he might the most wellrounded, atleast from his draftclass. Obviously he is not the biggest favourite for next year but I wouldnt be surprised if he would be one of the players in the contest for next season.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
If Heinola gets top PP minutes with the Jets, he could pad the stats and win Calder;

but Zegras is my bet if I had to make one.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Marco Rossi recovers properly and has successful offseason training, he's the frontrunner
I don't see how you can make that statement. Even on his own team Boldy would be favored over him. Chances are that Rossi starts in the AHL for at least part of, if not all of the year, where Boldy is almost assured of a top 6 wing spot and PP TOI with either Fiala, Kaprizov, or both. Rossi has to get back his fitness levels, then get used to playing competitive hockey at higher levels than he ever has before( the AHL should be back to pre Covid talent ). He also has to play a more demanding position than Boldy...I don't see the Center starved Wild sticking him on the wing. That would be perverse.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
A dark horse is Kalynuk. If he can solidify a spot on the top PP in Chicago (he has Boqvist to compete with), he could put up good numbers. If he puts up 40-50 points as a defenceman, he'd be in the running.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Im quite surprised that no one has even mentioned Anton Lundell. He has had a really good season in Finland with the only exception being his break due to Covid-19.

Upcoming WC with a good opportunity to take a leading or significant role in the team.

He is one of the most mature from his draftclass and if the takes the next step in his developement he could be a NHL-regular next season.

He may not be the most productive offensively but he might the most wellrounded, atleast from his draftclass. Obviously he is not the biggest favourite for next year but I wouldnt be surprised if he would be one of the players in the contest for next season.
I don't know if he's going to get the necessary top 6 minutes in Florida unless they decide to play him on the wing.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
It's Red Wings tradition that our best players finish as runners up and go on to have better careers than the guys that beat them.

Barasso beat Yzerman
Belfour beat Fedorov
Bure beat Lidstrom
Jackman beat Zetterberg (Robbery)
Myers beat Howard (Also robbery)

I'm expecting people to look at Seider's game and not understand the nuance in his game and give the Calder to a 40 point rookie forward instead of the 30 point defenseman.

Also of note, Datsyuk, Osgood, Larkin and a few others have ended up with top 5 calder finishes.

Jackman beating Zetterberg wasn't robbery. Jackman was an absoluuuttteeee beast that year, and it isn't like Zetterberg put up some insane amount of points. Jackmans career didn't turn out superstarish, but his first couple seasons he was an absolute defensive unit.

Remember playing against him in the 1st round of the playoffs and him ragdolling canucks.

Reactions: Legionnaire

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Zegras, Caufield, Drysdale, Seider, Byfield, Turcotte, Rossi, Boldy, Knight, Sorokin, Nedeljkovic, Byram, Newhook, Robertson (homer pick), gonna be a loaded Calder crop. If I had to pick just one ... I think Zegras, damn talented and should have a huge role on the Ducks next year. Plus forwards normally win.

One thing I don’t think you’ll see is any 2021 picks in contention - weak draft and way too much competition from past drafts.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If they base the Calder purely on points (for forwards at least), I'm not sure Zegras will win it. He will be the focus point of defenses where most/all of the other rookie forwards won't have that problem. He's going to have to go against the other teams' top defenses and doesn't have a better forward on his line to help carry the load.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I don't think anybody on NJ. I think Holtz will spend too much of the season in Utica, Foote isn't ready for top 6 yet and I want Clarke to dominate the AHL ala Toffoli prior to moving up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad