GDT: Prospects Tournament Sept 16th - 19th

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
If Talvitie makes the team will the announcers learn to pronounce his name correctly.

Or if not, find one consistent mispronunciation?

On another note, liked Stillman for the first time watching him closely.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Ryder is not an NHL player if he came into the league this year. Holtz can already skate better and he needs to be able to play some defense in order to stick around.

Boeser and Laine are better examples. Both guys are deadly on the PP with their shot but are less effective 5on5
Hey now, you’re slandering Newfoundland and Labrador’s current highest ever NHL scorer.

Mercer is 12th now (not a lot of NHL players lol) but he has to get 443 more points to get to #1.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
He looked better than I expected in both games, but I don't see enough skill for him to ever be more than a 4th line center. He could be a good 4th line center, but those types of players tend to have already showed more than Talvitie has by age 23. Maybe he's a late bloomer due to his injury issues and the covid seasons, but it's hard to imagine him having an NHL future in New Jersey.

That being said, I could see him making a big leap in Utica this season, and I think that's true of Utica in general. Talvitie could and should push for the first line center spot with De Leo gone. And with Holtz, Dugan, Foote, and Thompson all likely spending some time in the AHL, Talvitie should benefit.
Defensive centers can pop later but I don’t know if most people care if he’s the next Rooney. That’s what he would be gunning for, he does have an advantage by playing center.

If he’s being prepped for that he shouldn’t play 1C with the best wingers, that’s actually a spot for a tweener or a scoring forward prospect.

It wouldn’t prepare Talvitie for his future role, which would be hounding better lines and looking for opportunistic scoring.

It’s a tough jump to make but if you can make it C and C/W who can kill penalties can find homes. His skating speed is the biggest question with him.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Missed today's game, what are we thinking folks are our prospects awful?
Most of our noteworthy prospects weren't included in this tourney, although the expected names like Holtz and Nemec impressed. Foote played well, but was snake bitten. Bahl looked good. Brennan and Schmid did well.

Was hoping to see Graeme Clarke, but he never played. Wonder what happened there.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I'd say Filmon has been a very pleasant surprise in the tournament (for a recent later round draft pick).
I forgot him. Yeah, I was impressed by him. Rangy, with good reach and hands. I thought his skating was only ok, but he made the most of it and dangled a pair of guys to get off a clean look at one point. Seemed to be consistently involved in the play which was good to see.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
yeah, it was an awful game to watch lol
It was. But really , 98% of these kids will never play more than a handful of games in the NHL.
If any of our prospects not named Nemec Holtz Bahl Okhotiuk are regular NHL players, I’d say that is a win. I’m still holding out hope for Stillman to be a bottom 6 energy guy eventually.Hughes Nemec Holtz Gritsyuk will be massive boosts to the team ( first two for sure ) Hopefully we habe a couple others that we can use

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It was. But really , 98% of these kids will never play more than a handful of games in the NHL.
If any of our prospects not named Nemec Holtz Bahl Okhotiuk are regular NHL players, I’d say that is a win. I’m still holding out hope for Stillman to be a bottom 6 energy guy eventually.Hughes Nemec Holtz Gritsyuk will be massive boosts to the team ( first two for sure ) Hopefully we habe a couple others that we can use
The team really needs one of the goalies to break through. They are young so no hurry but it hopefully starts taking shape in the next year or two.

• Wow
Reactions: TBF1972

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Gritsyuk did not play, correct? (assuming not since KHL season started)

(he is currently just behind Kravtsov for final spot in main board prospect poll)
Nope, he’s not signed either, but Mukhamadullin is and he didn’t come over. They already agreed he was playing the year there though.

Liiga has started and Topias Vilén was there after playing more than 20 minutes in the Pelicans first game. That sort of surprised me to be honest.

Reactions: My3Sons

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Games were the hockey equivalent of NFL preseason games where players on the field are hoping to make the practice squad; in this case it's either the AHL or ECHL teams.

With the possible exception of Bahl and maybe Okhotiuk (and maybe Holtz), hard to see any of these players making an impact in NJ this season.

On the plus side, some of the younger guys should do well in Utica.

Gritsyuk did not play, correct? (assuming not since KHL season started)

(he is currently just behind Kravtsov for final spot in main board prospect poll)
No. KHL season has started already. Same as Mukhmadullin.

forceten

Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
They barley got to practice before being thrown together to play exhibition games. Who cares if they haven't looked great , this prospect team is not the same as our nhl club. I'm suprised the Devils had these kids playing on like 2 days of practice, that's really nothing to build any sort of chemistry on the ice. I'm sure the other teams did the same but still...
Wheat do you mean? Rye think you might be onto something though. Takes time for them to rice a cohesive team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad