GDT: Prospects Tournament Sept 16th - 19th

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Well StevenToddIves has been telling everyone here that he's a bad skater so no wonder everyone is surprised when they finally see him play..
I don’t recall him criticizing his skating? I recall him being somewhat critical that NJ drafted a left handed defender when they had a relatively large group of prospects at that position. Ethan Edwards suffered similar criticism. If you are going to go down that route it probably is proper etiquette to @StevenToddIves in case he checks this so he can respond if he chooses to.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
For what it's worth I didn't think Vilen was this good of a skater either (maybe I was influenced by STI's comments) and top speed and acceleration is also incredibly important at NHL level, not just agility and smooth turns.

But this is a great reminder to wait till we get to see the prospects in US rink until we judge them just based on reports.

Reactions: My3Sons

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
i actually like walsh’s game
He had a good drive and looked for the cross that almost connected. Worth mentioning amid some of the defensive shortcomings. I'd like to see a bit more consistency, but thought he deserved credit on a couple of sequences.

My3Sons

Sponsor
For what it's worth I didn't think Vilen was this good of a skater either (maybe I was influenced by STI's comments) and top speed and acceleration is also incredibly important at NHL level, not just agility and smooth turns.

But this is a great reminder to wait till we get to see the prospects in US rink until we judge them just based on reports.
I’d add that I’ve watched a decent number of Ethan Edwards at Michigan and he never struck me as having the skating he showed just a few weeks ago at the prospect development camp. Guys do improve and sometimes it is a surprise.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Yeh Holtz's skating has yeh certainly improved yeh
Using an anecdote doesn’t make my statement wrong. Not everyone will improve but in my view Holtz is at least somewhat better than when I watched him last season. Just my opinion. You are of course entitled to see it differently.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Shouldn't Matt and Chico know that Vilen played for Finland at the World U18 tournament? In Texas.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
On the Boston side, i’ve been disappointed with Lysell, and i promise i was writing this post before that wacky stick handling that started the Devils rush.

He’s one of Boston’s best prospects, but he was outshined by Mercer last year and i think even Filmon has been more noticeable than him
this time around.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
This game was better than the last but Boston doesn't have a porspect group like Buffalo. Kind of disappointing tournament in the sense we went 1-1-0-1 but there was some positives. Especially Filmon. Foote , Stillmann and some others really needs to pick it up...

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
Using an anecdote doesn’t make my statement wrong. Not everyone will improve but in my view Holtz is at least somewhat better than when I watched him last season. Just my opinion. You are of course entitled to see it differently.

I think Holtz's skating is much improved, maybe my 'Holtz interview mode' made you read it as sarcasm, which it wasn't :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad