GDT: Prospects Tournament Sept 16th - 19th

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Might come off as insulting right now - but anyone who thinks Bahl is better than Okhotiuk is out to lunch.

Okhotiuk is better than Bahl at every aspect of hockey. besides height. That's it. He's faster, quicker, smarter, more mobile, more physical, you name it.
Who can reach the stick tape at the back of the high cabinets more easily?

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Might come off as insulting right now - but anyone who thinks Bahl is better than Okhotiuk is out to lunch.

Okhotiuk is better than Bahl at every aspect of hockey. besides height. That's it. He's faster, quicker, smarter, more mobile, more physical, you name it.
Presumably they both have a chance in camp to convince the coaches. As long as one shines it’s a win for the team.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Presumably they both have a chance in camp to convince the coaches. As long as one shines it’s a win for the team.

Based on the entire AHL season last year, and the 3 prospect games this year (not that they hold any weight) but Okhotiuk is a full tier above Bahl. It's like comparing Hischier as a two way center compared to Haula as a two way center. Hischier is a clear tier (or two or three) above Haula.

Reactions: My3Sons

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Not about who is better or not , but I like how Okhotiuk steps up and hits in the neutral zone plus has some hate in his game. Bahl needs more of that if he wants to stand out and make a difference. Or maybe he thinks or was told to be working on a solid , simple defensive- first game then go from there?

My3Sons

Sponsor
Based on the entire AHL season last year, and the 3 prospect games this year (not that they hold any weight) but Okhotiuk is a full tier above Bahl. It's like comparing Hischier as a two way center compared to Haula as a two way center. Hischier is a clear tier (or two or three) above Haula.
Which will give Hischier the edge to take the third line job.

Kidding aside I agree that Okhotyuk looks like a more dynamic player to my eyes but they are both young and still have significant development left. They may both start in thr AHL depending upon how Smith looks in camp. As @Guttersniped has noted the team may prefer to have a disposable veteran like Hickey sitting in the pressbox as the number seven rather than one of the young defenders.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don’t think anyone’s writing Bahl off. All i said a few pages ago was not to expect more than third pairing minutes and average results from Bahl this year. I figured i was helping out a poster who was wondering if Bahl was worth a pickup in a fantasy league.
In general, it seems like people are either all in on Bahl or all out, no in-between...mainly cause of his size in both cases.

Mgd31

Aug 7, 2007
Levittown, NY

I am sorry but the difference between Okhotiuk and Bahl is not the same as the difference between Hischier and Huala. I feel like Okhotiuk is getting overrated here. I don't even think he's better than Bahl atm.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I am sorry but the difference between Okhotiuk and Bahl is not the same as the difference between Hischier and Huala. I feel like Okhotiuk is getting overrated here. I don't even think he's better than Bahl atm.
It’s the difference between two third pair defenders and two third line centers. It’s very comparable on its face.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

Kidding aside I agree that Okhotyuk looks like a more dynamic player to my eyes but they are both young and still have significant development left. They may both start in thr AHL depending upon how Smith looks in camp. As @Guttersniped has noted the team may prefer to have a disposable veteran like Hickey sitting in the pressbox as the number seven rather than one of the young defenders.
I would say, Okhotiuk`s skating give him big benefit. On the other hand, Bahl has weaknesses of a big guy. You just can`t move this body fast from the start. On the other hand I think Bahl is better player with the puck. Both could fix or compensate bad sides of the game.

Both looked good in prospects games, both made mistakes. Both looked better than Walsh. Walsh was very good in some offensive situations, but he was trying to some of things he will never do against NHL competition and his defensive side of the game didn`t look good. He was robbed in different situations and could get it back, And if you watched previous AHL season, you could see this situations before. Anyway I still think he could play shortended NHL role, I think he has tools, he just doesnt need to be the last man on the blue line. In the second prospect game devils paired him with Okhotiuk, I believe they did try to use Okhotiuk`s speed and skating to insure Walsh in some situation, but things didn`t go well.

Last edited:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
In general, it seems like people are either all in on Bahl or all out, no in-between...mainly cause of his size in both cases.
Yeah, and I guess I DID say that stuff about Urbom and Santini, but I only mean that to temper expectations, mainly my own. I'm pretty sure I'm still recovering from when I was absolutely certain that Larsson, Gelinas, Merrill, and Severson were gonna anchor the next great Devils dynasty. The more you watch the league, the more you realize how many of these B and C level prospects wash out of the league when all the homers think their absolute floor is a good depth player. Helps keep everything in perspective.

I agree, I feel like Okhotiuk gets a bit of a nudge because the Devils haven't had a responsible, physical defender in a long time. And it's certainly possible he's better than Bahl, but I don't think I've seen much that would lead me to bet on that. I'd love for either of them to develop enough of a two-way game that they can be minute-munching shutdown guys, I just know from history that it's not likely.

Reactions: Mgd31

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Didn't see Okhotiuk much playing with the Devils but when Bahl knocked someone off the puck in our own zone my reaction was "Wait?! we can do that?"

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

If Smith is playing over those guys then they're done as NHLers in NJ.

This is the year for those two to prove they belong on the main team. Next year has Hughes taking a spot. They wont get as much opportunities.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
shining in camp doesn't count as a win. shining in actual regular season games in the nhl could lead to wins. i hope they both up the competition and everybody improves.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i am swiss. i am neutral. we have to be.

but i am invested into okhotyuk for so long i won't to fully capitalize on the bullish market.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
If Smith is playing over those guys then they're done as NHLers in NJ.

This is the year for those two to prove they belong on the main team. Next year has Hughes taking a spot. They wont get as much opportunities.
In a couple years, maybe. Okhotyuk turns 22 in December and Bahl turned 22 a couple months ago. That’s too early for any player to get an ultimatum like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad