Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I think you forget that the Growlers are going to need talent to fill out their roster and the 2o year olds picked up in the draf would just as likely to get high end minutes and plenty of development on the Rock as they would in the OHL, and would be playing against men instead of boys.
That's likely an option for Hollowell. You don't stick a prospect like Durzi in the ECHL though.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So far Grima is the only one we know who has been invited to Leafs camp right?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Top of the page shows Sokolov also? I assume we'll hear the names of the invites tommorow.

Yeah I remember there was one other name and he was it. Seems to have a lot of attractive qualities. Good vision and IQ, strong and big, some good offensive skills, but according to CanucksArmy was always the offensive anchor on his lines and has major skating issues. Intriguing, but does not shock me that he went undrafted. We will see how he compares against some high flying guys in camp this year. Should set a benchmark regarding where he may end up next year. He is a relatively late birthday after all.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
That's likely an option for Hollowell. You don't stick a prospect like Durzi in the ECHL though.

The Leafs have stated that they want to use their ECHL team for development. If there isn't room on the Marlies for a prospect like Durzi to play a decent amount of time in the AHL, what's wrong with starting him out playing 20 minutes a night on the Rock to get him used to playing against men as opposed to boys? Its likely he will play himself onto the Marlies before long but what's the benefit of him playing another year in the OHL if that's the only other choice to get him top minutes in October?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The Leafs have stated that they want to use their ECHL team for development. If there isn't room on the Marlies for a prospect like Durzi to play a decent amount of time in the AHL, what's wrong with starting him out playing 20 minutes a night on the Rock to get him used to playing against men as opposed to boys? Its likely he will play himself onto the Marlies before long but what's the benefit of him playing another year in the OHL if that's the only other choice to get him top minutes in October?
Development for their lesser known prospects, no doubt (i.e. Dzierkals, Piccinich, etc). Durzi's development would be stunted there. He's a 98 born and needs the AHL time right away.

Reactions: Critical

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I thought I'd go to the "In the System" page (Maple Leafs Prospects - Toronto Maple Leafs - Team) at the Leafs' official site to get some insight into which draft picks' rights had expired and found these players:

Nolan Vesey, traded and signed with Edmonton
Kerby Rychel and Rinat Valiev, traded to Montreal
Tobias Lindberg, twice since traded, now with Pittsburgh
and best one...
Jack Rodewald, joined the Senators' organization, in 2016!

But they appear to have deleted Middleton and Mattinen from the list so they're obviously updating the list.

Reactions: Critical

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Someone on the main forums made a good point about why some good CHLers didnt get drafted so ill quote post him here:

It's becoming pretty obvious teams aren't drafting chlers they like in the 5th-7th rounds on purpose and taking flyers on euros instead. They're instead inviting them to camp and signing them in order to "gain" a pick. At the end of the 6th/early 7th you see team staff members run to the agents in the stands to get their guy to come to their camp.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Someone on the main forums made a good point about why some good CHLers didnt get drafted so ill quote post him here:

The other part of it is that you retain a non-CHL players rights longer, so you don't have to sign them after 2 years. It gives you more time to monitor their development without having to give them a contract. So it makes a lot more sense to take a player out of the CHL with late picks because they are usually long shots.

Just look at Engvall. Engvall drafted in 2014 just earned an ELC. If he was a CHL player, the Leafs probably don't sign him after the 2nd year.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
The other part of it is that you retain a non-CHL players rights longer, so you don't have to sign them after 2 years. It gives you more time to monitor their development without having to give them a contract. So it makes a lot more sense to take a player out of the CHL with late picks because they are usually long shots.

Just look at Engvall. Engvall drafted in 2014 just earned an ELC. If he was a CHL player, the Leafs probably don't sign him after the 2nd year.

I agree, it just makes more sense to draft Euros later.

Leafs just announced their development camp roster. Some CHL guys included in there. I'd like to see a contract offered to 1-2 guys if we have space, maybe some AHL contracts to help with our ECHL roster.

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/299263792/binary-file/file.pdf

Dgi3v_aW0AAhj5V.jpg:large

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
That is an interesting list, CCHL, AJHL, BCHL (Leafs' pick), Czech U18 (coming over for this camp?).

Leafs have any extra contract slots?

Yeah, but none that I would use on any of those guys. I kind of hoped the Leafs could have done better. A few guys like Carroll, Moore and Holwell would be interesting AHL contract pickups for the Growlers. Moore has already played for the Solar Bears briefly. That's the best I would think you could hope for. I think Dubas is more just looking at our guys, because there are some guys who should be really interesting to watch (Kara, Holmberg, Greenway, etc.). Most of those guys are just fillers, with Zummack and Sokolov as the two most talented guys who could work their way into an ELC or getting selected next year by some team. Rodrigo Abols out of Latvia was a former 7th who did well in the Allsvenskan last year, but he's not going to get anything from us.

I am surprised that Scott is not there more than anyone else. According to PPP he was not invited because he went to a lot of Marlies practices, but why not get him more time over two guys who clearly just fillers? Would have thought maybe Middleton and Mattinen could have made an appearance as well. Anybody else missing besides Korshkov and Kizimov (which I guess means he has no interest in going to the CHL)? Bobylov and Herzog are not there, but that's not shocking. Joshua, but also not surprising given he would have to pay his own way (even though Greenway, Woll and O'Connell among all of the others are there and would have to do the same). Maybe, like Lindgren, Liljegren and Scott, they know what they need to know. Seems like any of the guys they own who were in Marlies practice all that time is not worth seeing again, but the guys who need to compete for jobs are still going to be there.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That is an interesting list, CCHL, AJHL, BCHL (Leafs' pick), Czech U18 (coming over for this camp?).

Leafs have any extra contract slots?
Is it possible to retain some players in the ECHL and not take up contract spots? Development for a future date/look see again?

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Is it possible to retain some players in the ECHL and not take up contract spots? Development for a future date/look see again?

Not really. Most of them are going to stick with their current teams unless they do not have one (i.e. Holwell, Carroll and Moore). Those three specifically could be put on the ECHL. Some of them are already on AHL deals and will play in the ECHL.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Sudbury is just killing careers right now. I hope something like this can help him towards a better season and career

I actually think the opposite. Maybe not many guys turn into NHLers out of that program, but they help a lot of guys stuck on deep depth charts get ice time and CIS offers. For a lot of OHLers, that is what they want, because playing time is how they get their tuition paid.

Guys like Levin were already flawed from the start. Sudbury may not have helped him develop as much as he could have, but his lack of IQ would have turned off a lot of teams even if he played for a London or SSM.

Reactions: hockeynorth

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Why no Dakota Joshua?

He's been around for 4 development camps now I think. I do not think he wants to pay his way for another one, especially since management likely knows what they are getting with him.

They are going to see how his senior season goes in Ohio State and will make a decision then.

It's not any different than their decision with Scott and Lindgren.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I actually think the opposite. Maybe not many guys turn into NHLers out of that program, but they help a lot of guys stuck on deep depth charts get ice time and CIS offers. For a lot of OHLers, that is what they want, because playing time is how they get their tuition paid.

Guys like Levin were already flawed from the start. Sudbury may not have helped him develop as much as he could have, but his lack of IQ would have turned off a lot of teams even if he played for a London or SSM.
And Blake Murray really broke out this year for them, and they completely turned around Mario Culina's career this year as well. They also helped develop Pezzeta into a very good defensive centre and Nizhnikov and Stratis both found some rhythm for Sudbury after some trades. I think though if you are talking about the last few years, ignoring this one, then yes, they have had troubles but after the ownership change the whole organization felt a shift, and now we have Byfield as well for next year. I think that they've done a real 180 and in the next 2 seasons we will see a good amount of Wolves drafted, watch Murray, Ross, and Tabak for next year.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Could the Marlies sign Levin today to a contract?

Like not an NHL contract but an AHL contract? Have him play in the ECHL/AHL for a year or 2.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Like not an NHL contract but an AHL contract? Have him play in the ECHL/AHL for a year or 2.

He's not AHL eligible though due to his age.

You can sign him to an ELC and to retain his rights... but he's not exactly a great prospect so I don't think they'll use an ELC on him quite yet.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

No. He is too young. Could do it next year, but he is not even worth their time. I would say every single player we have drafted, more or less, is worth that sort of opportunity more than him. Guys we have already brought in on AHL/ECHL deals have more of a future. Guys we have let go are worth it more than him.

I am actually kind of confused about why we brought him in. Out of all of the players I do know on that list, he is pretty much the furthest thing from a Dubas player, outside of maybe some talentless brute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad