Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Moore and Marchment were amazing in the finals. That was our best line by far. Marchment and Moore both seem like NHLers to me...And Marchment really provides something we lack...A combo of size skill and smarts...And to boot he is physical and mean.

Based on their play they did make a case for dark horse candidates for 4th line roles, depending on how the offseason shakes out, of course.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You have to be a bit careful with that. You can't just overload the team to the point that they just crush the league. Not much development would go on there.

You mean like the Marlies did this past season? Seems like there was a heck of a lot of development going on there.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Based on their play they did make a case for dark horse candidates for 4th line roles, depending on how the offseason shakes out, of course.
I think Moore kinda brings moore of what we already have but he has a ton of skill, speed and tenacity.

Marchment on the other hand definitely fits in with our team identity the way he hounds pucks and has a great stick on the forecheck. He brings something we sorely lack in size and physicality which makes him an amazing candidate to make the team IMO.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think Moore kinda brings moore of what we already have but he has a ton of skill, speed and tenacity.

Marchment on the other hand definitely fits in with our team identity the way he hounds pucks and has a great stick on the forecheck. He brings something we sorely lack in size and physicality which makes him an amazing candidate to make the team IMO.

To be honest, I didn't watch much, but when I did they reminded me of the Golden Knights. However, unlike the Knights, they were the team in the final with the greater talent and the work ethic.

I have to believe Dubas is going to give some of them a greater opportunity to make the team than other non-attached GM's might.

That could be a flaw, but it could also be an advantage because he knows them better than someone who would have treated them as a secondary responsibility.

Other than Johnsson and Grundstrom I don't see them as candidates above the 4th. line, but I think the 4th. line is the unknown right now as far as forwards go.

On defense, I could see a lot of competition, not for the top pairing :laugh:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
As I mentioned a few days back, I will be doing an analysis of our top prospects. This will be on the top 20.
I made a thread but may as well post it here
Lets start this off with #20 Fedor Gordeev, one of the big guys in our system.

20) Fedor Gordeev
Breakdown of grades:
1-poor
2-below average
3-average
4-good
5-great
Stats
GP G A P PM + -
2016-17 Hamilton BulldogsOHL210124|
Flint FirebirdsOHL623101343-7|Playoffs50112
2017-18 Flint FirebirdsOHL6781725106-33
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Fedor Gordeev - Prospect-Stats
Player grades: Present/Future
Skating: 3.5/4
Shot: 4/4.5
Puck Skills: 3/3.5
Compete: 3.5/4
Defence: 2.5/3.5
note: Puck skills includes passing ability, puck control, creating etc...

One of the big giants that were selected. At the time, there was some criticism when the Leafs drafted him. People looked at his size, and low offensive numbers, and came away surprised and disappointed at the pick. It didn't help that some of the info which came out wasn't very encouraging. However, as more and people got to know more about him, it seemed he isn't as bad as some initially thought.

For a really big guy, he skates well, and some have even called it good. I'm not sure I would classify it as good but it certainly doesn't hurt him. With that being said, sometimes there are issues with pivoting. Overall skating wise, he is a fine though. He likes to rush the puck, and his skating really helps him in that regard. I guess you can say when the puck is on his stick, he is pretty solid. When it's not, there are problems but still alright.

Offensively, he is solid. His best tool is his shot. The guy can fire the puck. I find his wrister in particular to be strong. All thought his slap shot is pretty powerful as well. I believe his 2nd best tool is the ability to carry the puck. It doesn't matter which zone, he looks smooth when he has the puck. He can make a solid 1st pass, but overall won't make many highlight reel passing plays. At times, he can flash some great vision to make a terrific play, and I believe he has the potential to do it more often, but usually his passing doesn't have a fancy element to it. I don't expect him to put up huge offensive numbers, because he has very simple offensive skills, but he does have a really nice shot so he should be able to put up some points at the next level.

In terms of his defensive game, there is some work to be done. Some of that is caused by his below average skating without the puck, as this causes him to go out of position. He also makes some questionable decisions when faced with pressure. When there is space available to consider his options, he is pretty solid. When battling in the corners, he can stay with his man and uses his big size to knock people off the puck. Overall, when he doesn't have to rush his decisions, and is battling in tight, he is reliable. His offensive game is ahead of his defensive game, but as his skating gets better, he could become really good in his own end.

Stock
?
Up
His stats didn't improve significantly, but produced like a top pairing defender, or at least an excellent 2nd pairing defender. His primary point totals took a jump, and shot the puck a lot as well{which is never a bad idea for him}. One thing that dropped off slightly was his even strength goal production, but I think that has more to do with the team he is on, considering his even strength shot rate had improved by a good margin. From what I can see, his play had also improved. There was a tweet somewhere in the middle of the season that scouts have been really impressed with Gordeev. It seems like he is heading in the right direction, but there is still a lot of developing to do. He just needs to keep getting better. Moving away from that horrendous Flint team will also help.

Gordeev is a decent prospect, and we should be keeping track of him. His potential is really high, but there is some major risk as well. I see his ETA in the 2021/2022 season.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
So who are the Leafs going to give a chance to play in the NHL next season for 10 games or less this upcoming season? Johnsson? Liljegren?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Well with a another draft crop in our pool, here is where I think we are by position:

Goalie

We don't have a blue-chipper (how many teams actually do a t one time, maybe 5?), but we have depth. A goalie taken 3-straight years, we have enough in the lower end of our system now. We also have depth at the pro level. Big fan of Woll. I think things are fine for the moment, plus goalies are so tough to predict anyways.

Wingers

We were pretty stocked up and we added two more, two who are a long ways away. In a year or two, enough Marlies will have graduated or flamed out and we will need to re-stock, but right now we are great, with a bunch to graduate soon, which is exactly what you want.

Defence

For once, we have a good crop of defence. Not great, but at least good. Liljegren, Sandin, Rasanen, Durzi and Kral is a nice top 5 and we do have some pro and jr depth after that. For once, this is less of a concern, though of course, we are missing a true, major blue chipper.

Centre

Glad that we added 2 centres in the 3rd round which adds to the system. But this is still our weakest area by a fair margin. The need is not immediate, but at such an important position, you always want an elite C in your pipeline. I'd like to see us grab more centres in the top 60 going forward.

Reactions: hockeynorth

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The Leafs usually invite a few undrafted guys to their development and prospect camps. Any guesses as to who will be invited this year?

I was surprised Nathan Dunkley (London Knights) and Linus Nyman (Kingston Frontenacs) weren't drafted. Could be options.

I was also surprised Adam Samuelsson from the USNTDP wasn't picked.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Centre

Glad that we added 2 centres in the 3rd round which adds to the system. But this is still our weakest area by a fair margin. The need is not immediate, but at such an important position, you always want an elite C in your pipeline. I'd like to see us grab more centres in the top 60 going forward.

Looks like for now the team has Brooks and Ferguson as potentially the Marlies most advanced Centers - so yes, a big gap, but, based on Brooks year and Ferguson's ATO, either could pull of at Bozak level AHL performance next year which would ease concerns.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
The Leafs usually invite a few undrafted guys to their development and prospect camps. Any guesses as to who will be invited this year?

I was surprised Nathan Dunkley (London Knights) and Linus Nyman (Kingston Frontenacs) weren't drafted. Could be options.

I'm really surprised Nyman wasn't drafted. Gogolev too with 30 goals for the Petes. Invite both of them.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm content with the prospect depth after this draft:

Goaltending: Pickard and Sparks provide NHL-calibre depth, even though neither may be a full time starter. Woll is next in line in terms of potential, with Scott and the newly drafted Bouthillier behind him. Given goaltending is one of the most unpredictable things to draft/develop, it's nice to see the Leafs are slowly building a pipeline and at the very least creating some competition for spots at the lower level.

Defense: With the Leafs not signing some of the "giants" drafted by Hunter, the Leafs did a good job at the draft table solidifying the depth in the organization with a different type of d-men. Coupled with the signing of Euro/Russian free agents the Leafs have a long list of defenders who provide adequate depth:

Liljegren, Borgman, Rosen, Ozhiganov, Holl -> all capable of filling in on the bottom pairing next year with Lily obviously having the most potential.

Behind them you have some longer shot players that need development in one way or another before being considered legit depth: Nielsen, Lindgren, Rasanen, Gordeev, O'Connell, and Greenway.

Now after this weekend you have these names that will slide into the mix: Sandin, Durzi, Kral, and Hollowell.

I think if you've looking at rankings: After Lily, Sandin and Durzi slide right in the conversation with Rasanen in the top 5 at the position.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I read on Twitter Skolov was invited to camp. If I can find it I will post it

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Centre: At centre the Leafs are limited in depth. As far as NHL-capable, Gauthier is the only one that could fill in. Brooks trended up nicely towards the end of the season and is showing some promise. Lindholm's signing really helps as well. Beyond that McGregor was the only prospect at the lower level. Bringing Stotts and SDA at least bolster a weak spot in the prospect pool. While the Leafs do not have an urgent need for top end centres, it's good to see that they are taking some swings in the 3rd round on a couple of kids. Hopefully they keep building onto this next year.

Wingers: Definitely the best part of the pool, as there are a long list of promising players. From underrated guys like Moore and Marchment, to later round picks in AJ and Engvall. Then you move onto the next crop of Bracco and Grundstrom of guys that you can expect to make a name for themselves next year. Finally you move into the unknowns - guys that could surprise and have shown flashes of potential: Korshkov, Timashov, etc. Adding a couple later round wingers (especially a Bergmann special) is always good.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I know things change quickly but I'm bothered about missing out on Akil Thomas and Jake Wise.

I wanted Wise over Durzi for sure. Getting both Thomas and Sandin would have been amazing, but at least we did not pass on Thomas. If we passed on Thomas for Durzi... I would not even know what to say.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
And Moskal, Dunkley, Eggenberger, Sokolov and Burzan

I would love Kotkov, Muranov and Wouters as well. More than Moskal, Eggenberger and Dunkley TBH. Although I would take all of them.

Leafs are getting Sokolov at least. However I can see why the Leafs passed on him. Lacks skating and defensive skill, even though he has good offensive IQ.

Reactions: hockeynorth

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I think Durzi and Hollowell go back to the OHL. Hollowell especially. Both will get high end minutes and need the development time. Sandin may stick around, but it'll probably require two of Nielsen, Rosen, Borgman or Marincin not being on the Marlies next year for it to become a realistic possibility. Otherwise, I kind of expect him back in the SHL. SSM is not going to be an amazing team next year. Outside of Frost and Hayton, Sandin would be by far their best player with very little else besides Hollowell (if he comes back), Villalta and some decent OHL vets like DeMeo and LeGuerrier. Sandin seems like he wants to honour his last year in the SHL and he will play against pro competition. After that, multiple LD will likely either be traded or in the NHL, so there will easily be a high spot for him to take over on the Marlies.

Remember LoVerde is still going to get a good amount of ice time, and if Holl is brought back, they are probably going to roll with what they had last year. Lindgren may stay as well given he has an ELC, but I think it's far more likely we loan him back to the Liiga for one more year before bringing him over once Holl and LoVerde move on. He can also honour the last year on his deal for HPK.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I think Durzi and Hollowell go back to the OHL. Hollowell especially. Both will get high end minutes and need the development time. Sandin may stick around, but it'll probably require two of Nielsen, Rosen, Borgman or Marincin not being on the Marlies next year for it to become a realistic possibility. Otherwise, I kind of expect him back in the SHL. SSM is not going to be an amazing team next year. Outside of Frost and Hayton, Sandin would be by far their best player with very little else besides Hollowell (if he comes back), Villalta and some decent OHL vets like DeMeo and LeGuerrier. Sandin seems like he wants to honour his last year in the SHL and he will play against pro competition. After that, multiple LD will likely either be traded or in the NHL, so there will easily be a high spot for him to take over on the Marlies.

Remember LoVerde is still going to get a good amount of ice time, and if Holl is brought back, they are probably going to roll with what they had last year. Lindgren may stay as well given he has an ELC, but I think it's far more likely we loan him back to the Liiga for one more year before bringing him over once Holl and LoVerde move on. He can also honour the last year on his deal for HPK.

I think you forget that the Growlers are going to need talent to fill out their roster and the 2o year olds picked up in the draf would just as likely to get high end minutes and plenty of development on the Rock as they would in the OHL, and would be playing against men instead of boys.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I think Durzi goes straight into the AHL personally, he's achieved everything he can in the OHL and he's old enough that the AHL shouldn't wreck him

He's with the Leafs development staff that way as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad