Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Glad to see Dicky and Greening coming back.

I imagine Greening will be captain. I also truly believe he could make it as an NHL player still, but I can understand him being happy with his role here in the AHL instead of being on the bubble in the NHL, also wondering what's next.

Clune is just a beaut

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Glad Greening is staying around. Still quite surprised he wasn't given a shot for an NHL job. He is a big body that can still skate.

I watched Greening a lot this year and there is no way he could stick in the NHL, at this point. His skating really isn't good enough to make up for his lack of puck ability.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
where is Ben Smith going?
also - colour me surpriesd too that Greening doesn't get an NHL shot. i always thought his glitch was that he was making too much money not because he sucked. (and if I were to tell you that this was the best aspect of the deal with ottawa i think most of us would have been like "nope.")

Germany, and if he realized his nhl career is over he could do far far worse than Germany. Germany is one of if not my favourite countries to visit

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Germany, and if he realized his nhl career is over he could do far far worse than Germany. Germany is one of if not my favourite countries to visit

Outside of the NHL, the Toronto Marlies are the best situation and then it's Germany, Switzerland or Sweden.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Outside of the NHL, the Toronto Marlies are the best situation and then it's Germany, Switzerland or Sweden.

I was in Switzerland and Germany last month wish I was still there. For pure hockey reasons yeah marlies but beautiful scenery place to live toronto doesn’t beat parts of Switzerland and Germany. Kind of like a working vacation type deal, once he’s done he can come to back to T.O or where ever in North America he wants to live but while he has the opportunity to live and play elsewhere Europe is a great choice

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Keefe fully expects to be behind the Marlies bench next season!

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Looking forward to seeing what Lilly will do next year, I expect he will get the Rielly treatment (ton of PK with little PP). I also don't want him on the top pairing just yet, the kid is so young, let's not overload him

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Greening is popular guy in the room apparently. And also a bit of a character. And a coaching prospect.

Clune is like that too.

Right now he essentially is a player-coach. We expect him be there if some guys need some rest, but otherwise he's just there to make sure he can teach the young guys how to be pros. He has faced both ups and downs in his career after all, and knows what little things are required to be successful.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Ryane Clowe has been named the inaugural Head Coach of the Newfoundland Growlers. 4th most GP by a Newfoundlander in the NHL, and was assistant head coach for the Devils the past couple of years. Lou got him that job after he got permanently shut down due to concussions. Pretty much like how Robidas got his job with us.

The important thing to note here is that he is also going to be under the employment of the Leafs, unlike the Solar Bears' coaches. I believe those coaches were invited to do some Leafs' activities with our AHLers and prospects, but were always just employees of the Solar Bears. This shows Dubas is making a commitment to the ECHL team and using it as a developmental tool, so the Growlers can probably expect a lot of higher potential AHL contracts occupying important roles instead of ECHL vets. With the payment structure of the ECHL, the Marlies can afford to get the Growlers a lot of high end talent with potential and still leave them with enough money to bring in strong ECHL talent to fill out their depth.

Another interesting note:
Ryane Clowe - 35 years old
Sheldon Keefe - 37 years old
Rob Davison - 38 years old
A.J. MacLean - 34 years old
D.J. Smith - 41 years old
Andrew Brewer - 32 years old

Dubas knows he's going to lose some good coaching talent before Babcock retires. He's also going to make sure he has a ton of replacements ready for the all three levels for when guys move on. Would not be surprised to see Clune and Greening enter that mix in the near future as well.

Also for those who care, the Growlers are going to have to get started on acquiring some FA's for next year. As of right now, they have nobody since the Solar Bears are keeping all of their old players, and as of right now the Marlies do not have anyone poised to join them on an AHL contract (I expect Dzierkals and Piccinich to be on the Marlies next year). ECHL FA period only goes until the end of June. With a new HC now, getting some depth to support the AHL contracts the Marlies supply for their core is likely the next step.

Last edited:

weems

Jul 3, 2008
That's pretty interesting.

Clowe was one of my favorite non Leaf players.

That guy played hard and left it all on the ice.

That doesnt mean he'll be a good coach but I'm definitely intriged.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
they have nobody since the Solar Bears are keeping all of their old players

All of them?
Even guys like Gudbranson, Dupuy, and Pospisil, who were picked by Dubas?
I mean, Pospisil in a sense signed on as a Toronto prospect, and Gudbranson was on the Marlies playoff roster.

If that's true, Orlando has all of them on further contract, then I guess we'll see some of the college try-outs from last year be given another shot - Plouffe, Kestner, Pooley, Ferguson, etc. - try to build some of the roster with them

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
All of them?
Even guys like Gudbranson, Dupuy, and Pospisil, who were picked by Dubas?
I mean, Pospisil in a sense signed on as a Toronto prospect, and Gudbranson was on the Marlies playoff roster.

If that's true, Orlando has all of them on further contract, then I guess we'll see some of the college try-outs from last year be given another shot - Plouffe, Kestner, Pooley, Ferguson, etc. - try to build some of the roster with them

No not those guys. Only the ones who are on ECHL contracts. Technically guys like Gudbranson, Dupuy and Pospisil belong to the Marlies, but none of them may be back next year.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Kyle Dubas speaks with the media as the Toronto Marlies 2017/2018 championship season comes to a close.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Looking forward to seeing what Lilly will do next year, I expect he will get the Rielly treatment (ton of PK with little PP). I also don't want him on the top pairing just yet, the kid is so young, let's not overload him

I think (and hope) Liljegren gets the Marlies’ top powerplay unit next year. With Dermott and Rosen likely up with the Leafs to start the year, no reason Liljegren shouldn’t be running the top PP in October. That should get him well prepared for the small ice WJC in Canada this year.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Question for those that know about these sorts of things: is there any chance we see Liljegren with the Leafs next year, or is he still a year/couple of years away? What would he have to do over the summer to snag a spot out of camp in September?

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Question for those that know about these sorts of things: is there any chance we see Liljegren with the Leafs next year, or is he still a year/couple of years away? What would he have to do over the summer to snag a spot out of camp in September?
There's basically 0% chance he starts the season on the Leafs roster. It's possible we see a call up after the trade deadline, but that is based on how his season in the AHL is going at that point in time. From what we've seen from management, they want these players to overcook in the minors and dominate the AHL before coming up, and Liljegren won't be any different. No rush.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I don't think Dubas posts on these boards :sarcasm:
Agreed with @Mugzy97 above but unless his off season is a monster one I don't think he gets a call up.
Shanny has always been saying that they don't want to yo yo young players up and down so I would think Rosen Holl or Borgman (whom ever doesn't make the team) would be the yo yo

Reactions: Elephanto

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
if he really progresses well, he'll probably be called up for few games after deadline. but probably nothing doing until next year.

Reactions: Elephanto

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

That seems like a lot of contracts

So 5 of the Growler's top 6 I would guess.

Actually, Brady Ferguson could be the Gauthier replacement for the Marlies. 4C with Greening and Dzierkals as his wingers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->