Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
No. He is too young. Could do it next year, but he is not even worth their time. I would say every single player we have drafted, more or less, is worth that sort of opportunity more than him. Guys we have already brought in on AHL/ECHL deals have more of a future. Guys we have let go are worth it more than him.

I am actually kind of confused about why we brought him in. Out of all of the players I do know on that list, he is pretty much the furthest thing from a Dubas player, outside of maybe some talentless brute.
He's not AHL eligible though due to his age.

You can sign him to an ELC and to retain his rights... but he's not exactly a great prospect so I don't think they'll use an ELC on him quite yet.

Curious, do either of you have a link to a breakdown of an AHL contract? The only thing I could find is that an AHL player must be 18 as of Sept. 15 of the playing season but that could easily be for NHL contracted players.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Curious, do either of you have a link to a breakdown of an AHL contract? The only thing I could find is that an AHL player must be 18 as of Sept. 15 of the playing season but that could easily be for NHL contracted players.

That's only for NHL contracted players. Europeans can play in the AHL at a younger age, but the agreement they have with the CHL is that if they are signed to a CHL standard contract, they must be 20 by September 15 to play in the AHL on any sort of contract.

Reactions: Stand Witness

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Hoping we keep tabs on Eggenberger, Adam Samuelsson, Dunkley....all three were undrafted and I thought they would have been worth a shot at least with a later selection. People started considering Adam Samuelsson a bit of a joke after the ISS ranking debacle- but he's really not all that bad.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
That's only for NHL contracted players. Europeans can play in the AHL at a younger age, but the agreement they have with the CHL is that if they are signed to a CHL standard contract, they must be 20 by September 15 to play in the AHL on any sort of contract.

I wonder how the NHL benefits from honouring this deal?

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Hoping we keep tabs on Eggenberger, Adam Samuelsson, Dunkley....all three were undrafted and I thought they would have been worth a shot at least with a later selection. People started considering Adam Samuelsson a bit of a joke after the ISS ranking debacle- but he's really not all that bad.
What was the ISS ranking debacle?

Reactions: uncleben

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Speaking of unheralded players, I hope the Leafs consider extending Marcus Sylvegard a camp invite.

Sylvegard could be a free asset like Durzi would have been last year after going undrafted. He made the Swedish WJCSS roster, so with any scouting presence in Kamloops for that tournament they could have a good look at him there.

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
I am really praying Fedor Gordeev can become a premiere defensive defenseman for us. Has the size.

Reactions: uncleben

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I haven't had time to watch too much of the Marlies this year. Can someone give me an assessment of how Liljegren developed this year? Strengths, weaknesses and next steps.

Im really excited about this guy

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Don't expect anyone to get signed out of development camp. Having to use a contract is a small, but real cost, and it sends an awkward message to everyone who was better than the player but didn't get signed. The upside is getting a guy that no team thought was even worth using a 7th round pick on. They have to REALLY impress to justify that kind of risk.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
If I am Dubas, I am approaching Yakupov with a nice 1-Way deal to play for the Marlies.

Does anyone here think that Keefe could turn Nail into an asset? Could you imagine if we untap his potential and add that to our arsenal?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I haven't had time to watch too much of the Marlies this year. Can someone give me an assessment of how Liljegren developed this year? Strengths, weaknesses and next steps.

Offensively as advertised. Skills as reported. He focused on adjusting to smaller ice and the defensive side of the game. Best part is he steadily improved in every aspect. The surprise is how physical he is.
There is good reason to be excited about him.

Reactions: Duffman955

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
The Marlies' centre depth looks virtually non-existent with Aaltonen and Smith bolting and Gauthier's future with the organization still up in the air... any ideas what the team might look like down the middle next year? Any chance someone like Moore would be transitioned to C (he's listed as C/LW on some sites)? I'm hoping this creates opportunities for guys like he and Brooks to have increased opportunity and responsibility next season

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Why Maple Leafs prospect Eemeli Rasanen is off to the KHL - Sportsnet.ca
TORONTO – For six months, Eemeli Rasanen has known he would be leaving the Ontario Hockey League in search of tougher competition.

“I need harder games than junior,” the towering Toronto Maple Leafs prospect said Tuesday at development camp.

“That’s what I decided after Christmas. I want to go pro. I didn’t know then where I wanted to go, but then I decided the KHL must be the best for me.”

After two years patrolling the Kingston Frontenacs’ blue line, the Finnish-born Rasanen is jetting back across the Atlantic for the next stage of his development, inking a two-year pact with Helsinki-based Jokerit.

What lured Rasanen back home is head coach Lauri Marjamaki. Jokerit’s decorated new bench boss most recently guided the national team at the world championships and has rapidly gained a reputation for molding Finnish prospects into NHLers.

Reactions: saltming

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Good for Rasanen. He had homesick issues this past year that held him back a bit. Hopefully this move allows him to grow as a professional and he’s ready for the NHL one day

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I hope he progresses well. I didn't like what I saw in the OHL at all for a player with his skill set and pedigree.

He's got the tools though. He'd fill a huge long-term need if he can put things together.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
The Marlies' centre depth looks virtually non-existent with Aaltonen and Smith bolting and Gauthier's future with the organization still up in the air... any ideas what the team might look like down the middle next year? Any chance someone like Moore would be transitioned to C (he's listed as C/LW on some sites)? I'm hoping this creates opportunities for guys like he and Brooks to have increased opportunity and responsibility next season

I think you've forgotten how effective ATOs like Ferguson and Plouffe were and will likely get an opportunity to play. And the Marlies also have Mueller. However, after his quite decent playoffs, I am sure Brooks earned a promotion to one of the top 2 spots.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
I think the Leafs made the right decision. Durzi has bust written all over him, and even then I think he will not become a super productive player if he makes it to the NHL. Essentially, I expect more out of a 2nd round pick.

He's not an amazing defensive player and he's not really great in transition either. Not an amazing skater, not a super smart defensive player, and obviously not very physical either. He's where he is at for a 98' offensive defenseman in terms of production as well (applies to Mac Hollowell as well).

He is an interesting prospect, but I do not know if I would even consider looking at him in the spots he's projected to go. Definitely not worth wasting 52 on him.
You were saying? Lol

Reactions: Boutette

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
You were saying? Lol

There is a reason why it's probably my second least favourite pick out of that draft. Just because it was done, does not mean it was a good pick.

Really, Durzi is going to have to show a lot to prove that it was a good pick. Not only was he taken there, but there were guys expected to go a lot higher that the Leafs passed over to get him as well.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I hope he progresses well. I didn't like what I saw in the OHL at all for a player with his skill set and pedigree.

He's got the tools though. He'd fill a huge long-term need if he can put things together.

He left me wanting more offensively (although part of that is attributed to more offensive oriented guys like Day entering the lineup), but his defensive game improved leaps and bounds from last year. He uses his size perfectly, not going too much overboard or underboard. Amazing defensive IQ. Skating still needs work probably but anyone at 6'7" is going to need to work on their skating, and it's not a total burden either. It's already easily above average for his size.

He made the perfect decision in moving to the KHL next year. We get more time to evaluate him now, as we hold his rights indefinitely until he decides to leave the KHL (or NLA), and Kingston is going to be terrible next year. Kingston is likely rebuilding after selling off most of their assets. They still have Vilardi, Robertson, Nyman, Neumann and Brahaney, but that is pretty much it. A top offensive like with one extra forward + a high end 2nd pairing guy is not going to win championships when you do not have much else.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

“I need harder games than junior,” the towering Toronto Maple Leafs prospect said Tuesday at development camp.

I don't mind him going to the KHL, but he by no means dominated junior to a point he needed 'harder games'. The junior games were hard enough for him. He went home because he was homesick and the stars aligned for him to be in a good development position there - granted he gets the ice-time.

Reactions: SprDaVE and 95

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004

One thing I noticed in the games I saw is how much the puck seems glued to his stick. His handling is just top-notch and a calming presence. You factor in his age and it's just so impressive - feels like a vet in a lot of ways. I feel like he's poised for a real breakout performance next year.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Offensively as advertised. Skills as reported. He focused on adjusting to smaller ice and the defensive side of the game. Best part is he steadily improved in every aspect. The surprise is how physical he is.
There is good reason to be excited about him.

One thing I noticed in the games I saw is how much the puck seems glued to his stick. His handling is just top-notch and a calming presence. You factor in his age and it's just so impressive - feels like a vet in a lot of ways. I feel like he's poised for a real breakout performance next year.

Thanks for the response guys. I feel like he has the potential to be a #1 Dman. He just needs to fill out his frame and get more experience on the small ice. I knew people would be surprised by his physicality, hes not afraid to mix it up a bit.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Thanks for the response guys. I feel like he has the potential to be a #1 Dman. He just needs to fill out his frame and get more experience on the small ice. I knew people would be surprised by his physicality, hes not afraid to mix it up a bit.
I would say more strength. He's already almost 200lbs but his man strength alone will make a big difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad