Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So, who are the realistic WJC candidates at this point? Liljegren, Sandin, Kral, and Rasanen? I can't think of anyone else with a strong shot this moment. Maybe Ian Scott can play himself back into the mix with a strong first half, but he's very clearly on the outside looking in (gotta think Dipietro will be the starter). He's always been involved in the program of excellence coming up.

Liljegren should go the U-20's regardless of his role with the Marlies, unless he is in the NHL we should send him. I'm sure the kid wants to go. Although what happened to Willy in 2016 was alarming, I don't think that should sour us on sending any AHL kid. Him and Brannstrom would be the clear leaders of the team, along with possibly Lundestrom.

Frustrating we haven't had any Canadians, in pure WJC watching terms, I don't care where we draft a player from. Haven't had anyone in the Red and White since Marner and Dermott. But, I'll take Sandin and Liljegren over Gauthier any day of the week, even if Gauthier was more fun to cheer for 2 weeks over Christmas.

Last edited:

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
So, who are the realistic WJC candidates at this point? Liljegren, Sandin, Kral, and Rasanen? I can't think of anyone else with a strong shot this moment. Maybe Ian Smith can play himself back into the mix with a strong first half, but he's very clearly on the outside looking in (gotta think Dipietro will be the starter). He's always been involved in the program of excellence coming up.

Liljegren should go the U-20's regardless of his role with the Marlies, unless he is in the NHL we should send him. I'm sure the kid wants to go. Although what happened to Willy in 2016 was alarming, I don't think that should sour us on sending any AHL kid. Him and Brannstrom would be the clear leaders of the team, along with possibly Lundestrom.

Frustrating we haven't had any Canadians, in pure WJC watching terms, I don't care where we draft a player from. Haven't had anyone in the Red and White since Marner and Dermott. But, I'll take Sandin and Liljegren over Gauthier any day of the week, even if Gauthier was more fun to cheer for 2 weeks over Christmas.
If Liljegren is in Marlies come WJC. They can't hold him. If he wants to go he can go. It's not about us sending him.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
So, who are the realistic WJC candidates at this point? Liljegren, Sandin, Kral, and Rasanen? I can't think of anyone else with a strong shot this moment. Maybe Ian Smith can play himself back into the mix with a strong first half, but he's very clearly on the outside looking in (gotta think Dipietro will be the starter). He's always been involved in the program of excellence coming up.

If hoping for a Canadian I would say our best hope is Stotts, but that isn’t even much of one. He would need a monster first half though to even be considered.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If hoping for a Canadian I would say our best hope is Stotts, but that isn’t even much of one. He would need a monster first half though to even be considered.
Stotts is way too far off the radar to get a chance. He'd need a monster year this year, and he might have a shot in 2020.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I think the Canadian with the best chance of going to the WJC is Ian Scott. And it’s a very, very slim one. Scott played four games in the U18 championship so is at least on the radar of management. He would have to have a superb start to the season even to merit serious consideration, however.

FWIW, Scott was the third 99 born Canadian goalie drafted in 2017, after Dipietro and Villalta.

Last edited:

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
anyone stand out int he prospect camp?

Lots of guys, actually. If you didn't watch the scrimmage highlights, you should.

I mean, the competition isn't great there so it doesn't mean a whole lot, but there was lots of great plays and things to see.

Reactions: IWD

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Ferguson looked the best by far. Definitely could be the Marlies 4C next year. He was really the only invitee that really stood out besides Outen, who did quite well in net, and maybe Abols because of his nice goal. Dzierkals looked really shifty as well and looks like he should make the Marlies as a 4RW. Hollowell had a seeing eye goal but was also on the wrong end of a lot of those highlights, but that may have been because of his Soo partner Carroll who looked absolutely atrocious whenever I noticed him. It's kind of hard to tell how well someone does defensively besides how often they are seen on the wrong end of goals, but Hollowell should go back to the OHL.

I noticed some of the crappier invitees looked bad, but that does not matter much. Some of the other invitees made some good plays, but I do not think that makes much of a difference in terms of where they'll end up being next year (either back where they came from sans ELC or in the ECHL). Ferguson was really the only one that stood out to me, and therefore may be the only one who gets a legit shot at the AHL. Pooley may also make a case as a primary call up.

Bouthillier was probably the worst goalie. Gave up some goals I would expect him to stop as a drafted goalie. The good news is that Joseph Woll played extremely well. Sandin made some good plays, but also had one bad one that led to a goal. Durzi had a nice goal. Stotts set one up at the end.

It definitely was not the most impressive camp I have ever seen. It looked like a lot of guys who would not even make the Marlies. But out of the guys we care about we should be able to find some good talent.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Ferguson looked the best by far. Definitely could be the Marlies 4C next year. He was really the only invitee that really stood out besides Outen, who did quite well in net, and maybe Abols because of his nice goal. Dzierkals looked really shifty as well and looks like he should make the Marlies as a 4RW. Hollowell had a seeing eye goal but was also on the wrong end of a lot of those highlights, but that may have been because of his Soo partner Carroll who looked absolutely atrocious whenever I noticed him. It's kind of hard to tell how well someone does defensively besides how often they are seen on the wrong end of goals, but Hollowell should go back to the OHL.

I noticed some of the crappier invitees looked bad, but that does not matter much. Some of the other invitees made some good plays, but I do not think that makes much of a difference in terms of where they'll end up being next year (either back where they came from sans ELC or in the ECHL). Ferguson was really the only one that stood out to me, and therefore may be the only one who gets a legit shot at the AHL. Pooley may also make a case as a primary call up.

Bouthillier was probably the worst goalie. Gave up some goals I would expect him to stop as a drafted goalie. The good news is that Joseph Woll played extremely well. Sandin made some good plays, but also had one bad one that led to a goal. Durzi had a nice goal. Stotts set one up at the end.

It definitely was not the most impressive camp I have ever seen. It looked like a lot of guys who would not even make the Marlies. But out of the guys we care about we should be able to find some good talent.

Ferguson is turning 24 this September. He might be good on the AHL team but I'm not sure if he is NHL material. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the oldest invitee

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Ferguson is turning 24 this September. He might be good on the AHL team but I'm not sure if he is NHL material. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the oldest invitee

One of them for sure, but that does not mean giving him an ELC. He's already on an AHL deal. Just keep him on the Marlies rather than wasting a contract on someone else and sending Ferguson to the ECHL. He's not much older than most of the guys on that team.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Depends how you define high value. I look at Andrew Nielsen for example we took him with a 3rd if we can get a 3rd for him that would be unreal. Kid isn’t going to make it low iq and bad skater, obviously it’s possible other teams know this but if they don’t let him go ASAP.

I remember after Nielsen's draft+1 year, someone speculated he might worth a 1st round pick. And then there was a small debate, one group saying should trade him for a 1st round pick is possible while some say won't. Selling high is really an art more than a science I would say

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Depends how you define high value. I look at Andrew Nielsen for example we took him with a 3rd if we can get a 3rd for him that would be unreal. Kid isn’t going to make it low iq and bad skater, obviously it’s possible other teams know this but if they don’t let him go ASAP.

Low IQ, not a good enough skater to make up for it.

Teams will still ask for him in trades though. Which is what we will likely end up doing with him. Leafs are going to like their other options at LD more, and then maybe supplant them with Holwell and Carroll on AHL deals in the ECHL. For once, the Marlies could have a shortage of depth on the left side and a surplus on the right side (that is if Durzi, Lindgren or Hollowell stick around).

Is it too late to offer Middleton an ELC?!?!

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Sorry about the delay. Here is #19

19) Andrew Neilsen
Breakdown of grades:
1-poor
2-below average
3-average
4-good
5-great
Stats

2016-17
Toronto Marlies
AHL74142539827|Playoffs1113424-13
2017-18
Toronto Marlies
AHL65620261433|Playoffs801121
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Player grades: Present/Future
Skating: 1.5/3
Shot: 4.5/4.5
Puck Skills: 3/3.5
Compete: 3.5/4
Defence: 1.5/3
This was a pick that was questioned a little. A big reason was because not a lot of fans knew much about him. He was kind of a late bloomer based on how his hockey career had went. He put up some pretty impressive numbers In his final season at Junior, and people including me started getting excited. However, his 2 seasons in the AHL have been up and down and isn’t being regarded as a good prospect anymore.
In terms of offense, he is very good all though a tad overrated. Just like Gordeev, Neilsen’s main strength is that he has a terrific shot. It doesn’t matter whether its his wrist shot, one timer, or slap shot, there is a chance he scores. In terms of the offensive aspects, that’s where I call him a little overrated. He doesn’t have great vision in my opinion, and there isn’t anything special in his overall offensive package aside from his shot. Yet, his offensive production has been pretty good, so he seems to make it work.
This is where all the problems start for Neilsen, and the biggest weakness continues to remain his skating. Whether its pivoting, straight-line speed, or backwards, he simply isn’t a good skater. When he gets beat by opposing players, its game over because he won’t be able to recover. The other issue is his hockey IQ. He makes some terrible decisions with the puck. As he gets pressured, he rushes his passes which leads to turnovers. This also seems to happen even when he has time and space to make a play. They don’t stop there, he struggles without the puck as well. He has questionable pinches which sometimes results in odd man rushes. Let just say, decision making is awful. All though he can be physical, it doesn’t show up enough. His discipline is also a problem, as he can take bad penalties, and a lot of that is because he can’t control his emotions, I get the part of protecting yourself as a player, but you can’t keep on getting riled up
Stock?
Down
All though the chart shows excellent 2nd pair production, Neilsen’s point production declined from the previous season, the only good skill based on the eye test is his shot. Basically everything else isn’t good. His play didn’t improve and arguably got worse. Keefe benched him during the playoffs and was used as a 7th d man. Neilsen has a lot of work to do, if he wants to put himself back on the prospect radar.
There are some intriguing qualities about Neilsen. He has good size, a nice shot, and can play a physical game. However it all depends if the rest of the aspects can catch up. I see his ETA in the 2020/2021 season.
Will he make the NHL?
I say yes. Despite my negativity, I think he will surprise, and turn his game around. I don’t know how good he will be but I can see him playing in the NHL.

Reactions: bonjovi0308

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Sorry about the delay. Here is #19

19) Andrew Neilsen
Breakdown of grades:
1-poor
2-below average
3-average
4-good
5-great
Stats

2016-17
Toronto Marlies
AHL74142539827|Playoffs1113424-13
2017-18
Toronto Marlies
AHL65620261433|Playoffs801121
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Player grades: Present/Future
Skating: 1.5/3
Shot: 4.5/4.5
Puck Skills: 3/3.5
Compete: 3.5/4
Defence: 1.5/3
This was a pick that was questioned a little. A big reason was because not a lot of fans knew much about him. He was kind of a late bloomer based on how his hockey career had went. He put up some pretty impressive numbers In his final season at Junior, and people including me started getting excited. However, his 2 seasons in the AHL have been up and down and isn’t being regarded as a good prospect anymore.
In terms of offense, he is very good all though a tad overrated. Just like Gordeev, Neilsen’s main strength is that he has a terrific shot. It doesn’t matter whether its his wrist shot, one timer, or slap shot, there is a chance he scores. In terms of the offensive aspects, that’s where I call him a little overrated. He doesn’t have great vision in my opinion, and there isn’t anything special in his overall offensive package aside from his shot. Yet, his offensive production has been pretty good, so he seems to make it work.
This is where all the problems start for Neilsen, and the biggest weakness continues to remain his skating. Whether its pivoting, straight-line speed, or backwards, he simply isn’t a good skater. When he gets beat by opposing players, its game over because he won’t be able to recover. The other issue is his hockey IQ. He makes some terrible decisions with the puck. As he gets pressured, he rushes his passes which leads to turnovers. This also seems to happen even when he has time and space to make a play. They don’t stop there, he struggles without the puck as well. He has questionable pinches which sometimes results in odd man rushes. Let just say, decision making is awful. All though he can be physical, it doesn’t show up enough. His discipline is also a problem, as he can take bad penalties, and a lot of that is because he can’t control his emotions, I get the part of protecting yourself as a player, but you can’t keep on getting riled up
Stock?
Down
All though the chart shows excellent 2nd pair production, Neilsen’s point production declined from the previous season, the only good skill based on the eye test is his shot. Basically everything else isn’t good. His play didn’t improve and arguably got worse. Keefe benched him during the playoffs and was used as a 7th d man. Neilsen has a lot of work to do, if he wants to put himself back on the prospect radar.
There are some intriguing qualities about Neilsen. He has good size, a nice shot, and can play a physical game. However it all depends if the rest of the aspects can catch up. I see his ETA in the 2020/2021 season.
Will he make the NHL?
I say yes. Despite my negativity, I think he will surprise, and turn his game around. I don’t know how good he will be but I can see him playing in the NHL.
Some people did compare Neilsen to Cody Franson, which is fair but does the Leafs need Fransons? Do you think Gordeev has a better chance making the NHL/Leafs than Neilsen?

NCoRe

Dec 30, 2007
Seinäjoki
I would be interested of acquirin either to AHL deal or even ELC to Marlies a LD called Olivier Galipeau. I've heard rumours he'd be signing with Providence, but its just a rumour. Seems like a Good prospect for us.

Olivier Galipeau

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Thanks stickty. Appreciable efforts.

Liking the looks of the Marlies for this upcoming year, competitively and developmentally. And it’s still early in the off-season.

Crazy swing from having more LD to now having more projectable RD, and now the LW seems to outshine the right side.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I would be interested of acquirin either to AHL deal or even ELC to Marlies a LD called Olivier Galipeau. I've heard rumours he'd be signing with Providence, but its just a rumour. Seems like a Good prospect for us.

Olivier Galipeau
EP is off on that one. No longer a rumour, and he has also since been invited to Bruins dev camp

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Ferguson looked the best by far. Definitely could be the Marlies 4C next year.

Gauthier is the Marlies 4th C. Ferguson isn't really suited to that roll. He's more likely slotted 1-3 with Brooks and Mueller as the others right now, since he is an offensive driver. Whether he has NHL potential, such as Bozak was in his day, we'll find out when he has more than just 5 games under his belt.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
So, who are the realistic WJC candidates at this point? Liljegren, Sandin, Kral, and Rasanen? I can't think of anyone else with a strong shot this moment. Maybe Ian Scott can play himself back into the mix with a strong first half, but he's very clearly on the outside looking in (gotta think Dipietro will be the starter). He's always been involved in the program of excellence coming up.

I couldn't agree with you more. My favourite time of year is Christmas with all the festivities, plenty of Leafs hockey and top it off with my favourite tournament of the year no matter what time I have to wake up and watch a game. It is so much better when we have some prospects in the tourney and icing on the cake when we have some team Canada players. I also don't care where a kid is born but I'm always a little hopeful we'll draft a Canadian kid just so we have the chance to cheer for him in the tourney.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Some people did compare Neilsen to Cody Franson, which is fair but does the Leafs need Fransons? Do you think Gordeev has a better chance making the NHL/Leafs than Neilsen?
I dont think Gordeev makes the NHL, Neilsen has a better chance even if its small.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Olivier Galipeau

We are probably going to do that with Adam Holwell. AHL deal of course.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
I dont think Gordeev makes the NHL, Neilsen has a better chance even if its small.

I can see the Leafs using Gordeev as a trade chip. Apparently some teams had interest in him on the trade market, but those were all rumours. I do not think he is the type of guy Dubas likes. Not because he is big, but he is not someone who plays a high IQ game. If he does make it to the Marlies, he likely is just a bigger and maybe slightly better skating version of Andrew Nielsen, but that's not going to be enough for either of them to make a team like the Leafs. Other teams, it may be different.

Obliviate

Jun 26, 2018
I like Gordeev's skillset. Big boy with good wheels. He will take longer to develop but guys of his size normally do.

I think he has a shot.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

I'm not sure I would compare Franson and Nielsen together.

Despite Franson's size, he didn't play a physical game. Nielsen is a guy that battles in front of the net and finishes all of his checks. Nielsen's slap shot is a lot better where Franson relied on his quick release and snap shot.

Gordeev has a chance because he skates a lot better than Nielsen, he still hits/finishes his checks. I'm not sure what his offensive upside is going to be tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad